Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 08-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Smoking cheese

Recommendations?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Smoking cheese

Yeah, use a pipe and don't just roll it in a cigar wrapper so you don't get the molten stuff all over you!
Old 08-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

This has @T.G. written all over it.

I have not tried but others who do have used a Tupperware formed block of ice on top of the cheese to try to keep the melt to a minimum.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You spelled "weed" wrong......

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Look at a device called the A-Maze-N smoker. Great for cold smoking, under 90-100° F. Try to keep the temps as low as possible. Put trays of ice cubes in the smoker to bring temps down.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I could swear it was Peter, may he RIP, who when herfing described his cheese method as two cookers connected via dryer duct. Kept the heat away and let him smoke cheese and fish with ease. I remember this because I thought it was the most ingenious Red Green thing Red Green didn't think of
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
I could swear it was Peter, may he RIP, who when herfing described his cheese method as two cookers connected via dryer duct. Kept the heat away and let him smoke cheese and fish with ease. I remember this because I thought it was the most ingenious Red Green thing Red Green didn't think of
I use a similar method when I cold smoke with my Bradley smoker. Unhook the smoke generator, place a box over it, with a flexible dryer hose to the main chamber.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Look at a device called the A-Maze-N smoker. Great for cold smoking, under 90-100° F. Try to keep the temps as low as possible. Put trays of ice cubes in the smoker to bring temps down.
I have one of their smoke tubes, thought about using that in the old Weber. Around here the sun will keep the cooker between 90 & 100*, and I thought about using the pellet tube to add smoke.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Thanks for the input so far!

To clarify, what types of cheeses, etc have y'all been successful smoking? I have enough smokers and "toys" that I can get cold smoke temperatures (even in my Lang), but I wasn't sure about the actual cheeses and any prep or techniques you use to give it flavor.

Thanks again to all!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

T.G. would be a great resource if you reach out to him.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

It all sounds so gouda.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thanks for the input so far!

To clarify, what types of cheeses, etc have y'all been successful smoking? I have enough smokers and "toys" that I can get cold smoke temperatures (even in my Lang), but I wasn't sure about the actual cheeses and any prep or techniques you use to give it flavor.

Thanks again to all!
Surprisingly that’s something I haven’t smoked. Naturally cheddar, Gouda, provolone. I wonder how a hunk of Parmesan would do. Hmm...
Old 08-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I wonder how a hunk of Parmesan would do. Hmm...
It's pretty wonderful.

But it, and any dry, hard, aged cheese has some caveats.

The more aged it is, the longer it will need to be left in a vacuum bag in the refrigerator after smoking to allow the smoke flavors to a) mellow and not overtake the cheese b) migrate through the cheese as to not just be a surface coating. Harder cheeses, the smoke doesn't absorb as well during the process, it just builds up on the surface.

I did some 36 month aged stuff once. It took well over a year in a vac bag in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.

Smaller / thinner wedges/chunks will shorten that time, but you don't want to go too thin or you'll end up with too much surface area vs the core and it's easy to oversmoke and then you're right back to having to leave it in the refrigerator forever to mellow.

Steve, I'll post something this weekend on what I've learned that works for me. Too many work projects to wrap up today to get into a long post.

To quickly answer your question on what types, you can pretty much smoke any cheese except fromunda. Things like block size/weight, smoking time, and storage time before consuming can vary depending on the type of cheese though.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Thanks Adam! Work is really crazy for me all of a sudden as well, so I understand!

I thought I remembered you and Peter discussing cheese smoking a while back, but a quick search didn't find the old thread and I didn't take time yet to do an exhaustive search. I look forward to hearing about your lessons learned though!
Have a great weekend!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
It's pretty wonderful.

The more aged it is, the longer it will need to be left in a vacuum bag in the refrigerator after smoking to allow the smoke flavors to a) mellow and not overtake the cheese b) migrate through the cheese as to not just be a surface coating. Harder cheeses, the smoke doesn't absorb as well during the process, it just builds up on the surface.

I did some 36 month aged stuff once. It took well over a year in a vac bag in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.

Smaller / thinner wedges/chunks will shorten that time, but you don't want to go too thin or you'll end up with too much surface area vs the core and it's easy to oversmoke and then you're right back to having to leave it in the refrigerator forever to mellow.

Steve, I'll post something this weekend on what I've learned that works for me. Too many work projects to wrap up today to get into a long post.

To quickly answer your question on what types, you can pretty much smoke any cheese except fromunda. Things like block size/weight, smoking time, and storage time before consuming can vary depending on the type of cheese though.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #15
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's pretty wonderful.

Anything smoked by this man Adam puts up a great sampler of cheeses during the troop auctions. I think one may be coming up soon.

The hardest cheese I've smoked is the colby seems to take a little bit longer to smoke or sit vacuumed up, I usually smoke it with other cheese too.

I like to smoke cheese I enjoy eating.

Pepper Jack, montery jack, low moisture mozzarella, habanero or jalapeno jack when I can find it, cheddar. I think if I can buy it in a block I'll try it.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
To quickly answer your question on what types, you can pretty much smoke any cheese except fromunda.
Too close to the pole?

Old 08-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #17
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Too close to the pole?
Nah all of it is already smoked from around these here parts partner
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Nah all of it is already smoked from around these here parts partner

Old 08-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I save cold smoking for the winter.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #20
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I save cold smoking for the winter.
Yea, the more I thought about it, the more I came to this conclusion. I thought about using one of the little pellet tubes and putting it in the weber , but my grill reads a steady 110-130 just sitting outside turned off. I think I would have a melted, gooey mess!