Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
whodeeni

Cool Mario Golbee's BTT Review Thread #2

A couple of months ago I received an additional 5er from Big Bro "MarioGolbee"
to do a set of blind reviews. This is #2 from that group.

Robusto 5X50

Drink: Guiness Foreign Extra Stout

Appearance & Construction: This cigar has a very dark chocolate wrapper. It's splotchy, toothy, and has small veins showing all over it. There are no soft spots and it's kind of hard in certain spots. The foot is underfilled and I can see "A Leopard's Smiling Face" in the swirls of tobacco.

Prelight Draw: I punched the cap and got oatmeal, cardboard, and very light pepper. This is a crazy start to a cigar! I smelled the foot and got the smell of hay and spice. I sniffed the wrapper and clean tobacco comes to mind

1st 3rd: I lit the foot and got a blast of pepper, rich tobacco and leather. The ash is white and splintered at the half inch mark due to being underfilled.
The smoke is abundant and what started as a long dry finish has actually become quite oily. (Not too familiar with the finish changing like this.) I took a sip of Guiness, took another pull and noticed chocolate notes from the smoke. (I began wondering is it the beer or the cigar?!?) In my opinion this
is a medium bodied stick with full flavors, it's consistent, but not overly complex. I pray that this is not a 601 green because if so, it definitely can
stand some aging.

2nd 3rd: I taste leather and spice, but my mouth is dry and feels like a piece of leather. The retrohale gives me a strong blast of pepper, accompanied by dark chocolate, and espresso. Won't be doing that again! *lol* Even though it's uneven, the burn line is very sharp!

Final 3rd: Leather, spice, cedar, and grass comes through right now. The introduction of cedar is welcome as the flavor of the cigar has improved greatly.

Final thoughts this cigar has some good qualities, but is a little too green
definitely would improve with age.

Thanks Mario!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mario Golbee's BTT Review Thread #2

Nice review Excel!!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
whodeeni

Smile Re: Mario Golbee's BTT Review Thread #2

Thanks Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Nice review Excel!!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
1badhog07
Still Watching My Back

First Name: gustavo
Trading: (2)
HdM
1badhog07 is on a distinguished road

nice review!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
mariogolbee

Nice review again Mr. Excel. The cigar you smoked was a Ghurka Assassin. I don't fancy most of the Ghurka line but was somewhat impressed with this one. Not your typical Ghurka at all.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
whodeeni

U know what's crazy... I smoked a churchill 3 or 4 weeks ago that
was wonderful! Interesting... So where you been hidin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Nice review again Mr. Excel. The cigar you smoked was a Ghurka Assassin. I don't fancy most of the Ghurka line but was somewhat impressed with this one. Not your typical Ghurka at all.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough

Nice review and I always enjoy seeing pics! I liked your comment on the taste of cardboard... that's a new one for me. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I get that flavor note I just can't place... it maybe that it's card board.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
whodeeni

Talking Re: Mario Golbee's BTT Review Thread #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhmalone View Post
Nice review and I always enjoy seeing pics! I liked your comment on the taste of cardboard... that's a new one for me. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I get that flavor note I just can't place... it maybe that it's card board.
Maybe Harrison..... Maybe brotha!*grinz* Thanks for the compliment too!