Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #721
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Cherry flavored bourbon?!?!? My god I didn't know such awful things existed....probably for the better.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #722
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post

When we say Stagg, we mean George T Stagg, from Buffalo Traces Antique Collection. Do a google search for it. Me and awsmith4 drank some last night (thanks again bro) and my GOD it will warm you from the core out. It is GOOD.
My pleasure brother and agreed, Stagg is some tasty, toasty stuff

Someone mentioned above that all bourbon is from Kentucky. this is not entirely true. Taken from Wiki:

Bourbon is an American whiskey, a type of distilled spirit, made primarily from corn (maize) and named for Bourbon County, Kentucky. It has been produced since the 18th century. While it may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States." The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5.22) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

* Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.[1]
* Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
* Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added.
* Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels. [1]
* Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
* Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may be bottled at not less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
* Bourbon that meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.[2]
* Straight Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
* If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
* Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.[3]
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #723
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
My pleasure brother and agreed, Stagg is some tasty, toasty stuff

Someone mentioned above that all bourbon is from Kentucky. this is not entirely true. Taken from Wiki:

Bourbon is an American whiskey, a type of distilled spirit, made primarily from corn (maize) and named for Bourbon County, Kentucky. It has been produced since the 18th century. While it may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States." The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5.22) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

* Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.[1]
* Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
* Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added.
* Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels. [1]
* Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
* Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may be bottled at not less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
* Bourbon that meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.[2]
* Straight Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
* If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
* Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.[3]
Yep. Stagg is great, although I definitely like the Weller of the BTAC much better. That stuff is amazing. Straight (neat), smooth, no heat at first, amazing flavor, then warming of the torso. Awesome stuff.

People also say bourbon has to come from bourbon county...

Virginia Gentleman is a bourbon.

But of course all the good bourbon comes from Kentucky

Just finished some Four Roses Limited 2010 Barrel Strength. Good stuff as well. Very nice.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #724
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I haven't seen ANY bourbon that wasn't from Kentucky, I'm still 99.9% sure no matter what Wikipedia says (really it's not a reliable source, anyone can post in that $hit) that all bourbon MUST have spent at least 2 years in Kentucky. It may say made in "somewhere else" but it must spend at least a few years in the state of Kentucky. Then and again that's just what I've read and learned.

-Bill
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #725
Swany
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Robert
Trading: (0)
Partagas Army (Active)
Swany is on a distinguished road

I thought that burbons were made in Kentucky and whiskey in Tennessee but the smokin hot chic in the Jack Daniels trailer told me I was wrong. I think it has something to do with charring the inside of the barrel. It was a few years ago and I was drunk but I think that was it.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #726
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I cannot find anything that supports this 100%, but I have to agree that if it's call a Bourbon, it had to be produce in Bourbon, County KY. Everything else, in that category, is either a Rye, Whiskey or Mash.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #727
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

From my understanding, if it's made in Kentucky and is at least 51% corn, it can be called bourbon. Anything else is just whiskey.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #728
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
From my understanding, if it's made in Kentucky and is at least 51% corn, it can be called bourbon. Anything else is just whiskey.
That's my understanding as well. But there are some very good bourbons/whiskeys from other places as well. A.H. Hirsh Special Selection 20yr is distilled and aged in Illinois. Michters used to be distilled in Pennsylvania (not sure where it is now) and Stranahans is a really good micro distillery out of Colorado. While yes, location means alot for aging and water source (like they say about Daniels and Kentucky) nothing can overcome the passion and care that the guys in Kentucky put into their bourbons. The pride they have shows in every sip i.e. Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill etc...
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #729
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
And has to be aged for at least 2 (maybe 3, can't remember) years in new, charred white oak barrels.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #730
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
That's my understanding as well. But there are some very good bourbons/whiskeys from other places as well. A.H. Hirsh Special Selection 20yr is distilled and aged in Illinois. Michters used to be distilled in Pennsylvania (not sure where it is now) and Stranahans is a really good micro distillery out of Colorado. While yes, location means alot for aging and water source (like they say about Daniels and Kentucky) nothing can overcome the passion and care that the guys in Kentucky put into their bourbons. The pride they have shows in every sip i.e. Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill etc...
Been looking for the Stranahans, but not available in Bama (but, we have really moronic people running our ABC board). I have it listed on my iPhone lists of "things to look for", and plan on checking for it in Ft. Lauderdale this week!

Oh, just for clarity, Jack Daniels is Lynchburg, Tennessee. May be the only distillery in a dry county inthe USA!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #731
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I haven't seen ANY bourbon that wasn't from Kentucky, I'm still 99.9% sure no matter what Wikipedia says (really it's not a reliable source, anyone can post in that $hit) that all bourbon MUST have spent at least 2 years in Kentucky. It may say made in "somewhere else" but it must spend at least a few years in the state of Kentucky. Then and again that's just what I've read and learned.

-Bill
The Wiki does have good references sometimes.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...T=5&SECTION=22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany View Post
I thought that burbons were made in Kentucky and whiskey in Tennessee but the smokin hot chic in the Jack Daniels trailer told me I was wrong. I think it has something to do with charring the inside of the barrel. It was a few years ago and I was drunk but I think that was it.
Jack Daniels charcoal filters their whiskey, and they don't want to be classified as bourbon anyway, so that is why theirs is called TN Whiskey. I believe (although don't have any references) they use a "bourbon" mash, as in over 51% corn. Whiskey can be made anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I cannot find anything that supports this 100%, but I have to agree that if it's call a Bourbon, it had to be produce in Bourbon, County KY. Everything else, in that category, is either a Rye, Whiskey or Mash.
Probably because it is not true. There are no distilleries in Bourbon County

http://www.straightbourbon.com/articles/ccname.html

Quote:

See first link:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...T=5&SECTION=22

These are the cliffs from the StraighBourbon page about the origin:

"When American pioneers pushed west of the Allegheny Mountains following the Revolution, the first counties they founded covered vast regions. One of these original, huge counties was Bourbon, established in 1785 and named after the French royal family. While this vast county was being carved into many smaller ones, early in the 19th century, many people continued to call the region 'Old Bourbon.'

"Located within 'Old Bourbon' was the principal Ohio River port from which whiskey and other products were shipped to market. 'Old Bourbon' was stenciled on the barrels to indicate their port of origin. 'Old Bourbon' whiskey was different because it was the first corn whiskey most people had ever tasted, and they liked it. In time, 'bourbon' became the name for any corn-based whiskey."

Hope that helps

Last edited by ODLS1; 11-01-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #732
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Been looking for the Stranahans, but not available in Bama (but, we have really moronic people running our ABC board). I have it listed on my iPhone lists of "things to look for", and plan on checking for it in Ft. Lauderdale this week!

Oh, just for clarity, Jack Daniels is Lynchburg, Tennessee. May be the only distillery in a dry county inthe USA!!!
Yeah, reading what I wrote sounds weird, it should read "like Jack Daniels in Tennessee and Kentucky distillers."

I can get Stranahans in Ga but it is pricey, for the cost I'd rather buy BT or Bookers. That being said, it is worth a try, a good (if maybe a bit sharp) bourbon.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #733
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Yea I've been wanting to try Stranahans as well, but it's like $45+ here and I can get some fine bourbon for that price like Jefferson's Reserve Very Old.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #734
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

-Bill
Well this time the you should have gone with the .1% The article that Wiki referenced was straight from the Government website that had the law listed. Bourbon is defined by law not by opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Whiskey can be made anywhere but bourbon can only come from the US (not just Kentucky). Jim Beam is located in Bullitt County, KY and I don't think we have to argue that Beam, Bookers, Knob Creek etc. are bourbons.

Stanahan's Colorado Whiskey was very tasty. Reminded me more of a Scotch than a bourbon but it was good. But I do agree that for the price I am going to choice something else almost every time. The head dude there is the guy who started Flying Dog Brewery as well.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #735
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Stanahan's Colorado Whiskey was very tasty. Reminded me more of a Scotch than a bourbon but it was good. But I do agree that for the price I am going to choice something else almost every time. The head dude there is the guy who started Flying Dog Brewery as well.
Yea I heard FD Brewery did the mash and pumped it over, but didn't know the same guy started both. That's my dream. Trying to start a brewpub in a few years, and it would be awesome to start up a distillery at some point.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #736
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

Bourbon does NOT have to come from Kentucky. If it is labeled "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" then it is from Kentucky. If it is from some other state (there are several others that produce bourbon) then it will say "Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey" or "Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey", etc. Kentucky prides itself and markets itself as being "the" producer of bourbon, but they do not have a 100% monopoly on bourbon.

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #737
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Whiskey can be made anywhere but bourbon can only come from the US (not just Kentucky). Jim Beam is located in Bullitt County, KY and I don't think we have to argue that Beam, Bookers, Knob Creek etc. are bourbons.
I wrote my post above before I saw your response.

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #738
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

Partagas

I like this thread, Bourbon (whiskey) is good....
Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #739
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough

I read here, but never post. but feel this is worth sharing. I got to visit the woodford reserve distillery this past weekend. If you never hve been there make the trip. It was awesome. Fantastic tour. Beautiful area. Very very knowledgeable staff, could talk with them for hours. Also picked up the new masters blend. Its a maple barrel finish in a toasted (not baked) barrel. Its great. hints of maple syrup all over it, but not thick a all. IDK if it justifies the 90 dollar price tag, but its nice to try as a LE type of thing. Pictures will be posted when my gf downloads them from the camera.

i also visited 4 roses while in the area. Wish i could have done all 6 major distillerys. Its amazing the difference in small batch vs mass production. I knew going in the 4 roses wasn't as good (per reviews) but i had never had it. I was deff not for me. they only age their barrels 2 years. its very raw and very fresh. It had a ton of spice to it. Didnt like it. couldn't name the flavor. but not for me.

cant wait to go back and see the rest of the distilleries. luckily the girl is just as excited as I am to go back. Just wish i could bottles the smell of angles share to smell every once in a while.
IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #740
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Oh yeah the woodford masters collections are great! I agree the price tag is a bit high. I wish they were like $30 cheaper.