Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough
Default Another Tubos question

Someone asked about proper storage of tubos and how to prepare them for smoking. It got me to wondering-Where did tubos come from in the first place and why? What is their purpose. Who mas the first to use them? Any experts out there??
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Tubos question

I don't know where they come from, but MRN says they showed up in Cuba in the 40's. They were in USA around the 20's.
MRN also says they may have shown up in Cuba 20 years later because in the 20's and 30's the Cubans were in an "anti-machinery" phase. Turns out the workers didn't want anything to do with machines, probably because they were putting them out of work.
There's a little more info about how awesome they are for aging cigars.
In my experience I've found that tubo + the cedar wrapper they use = extensive mold, so I'm not a fan. So if I get a tubo I throw away the cedar.
I know it's defeatist, that's why I steer clear of tubos almost exclusively although I used to think they were super cool. (I still love glass tubos.)
Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

According to Nee, Fonseca was the first to package a cigar in a tin tube in 1907, but they never spread beyond that until the 40's when aluminum tubes became more common. Their purpose is to provide a cool presentation that makes carrying a cigar more practical, to provide a superior aging environment and to find a way to put mismatching wrapper shades in the same box
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
According to Nee, Fonseca was the first to package a cigar in a tin tube in 1907, but they never spread beyond that until the 40's when aluminum tubes became more common. Their purpose is to provide a cool presentation that makes carrying a cigar more practical, to provide a superior aging environment and to find a way to put mismatching wrapper shades in the same box
Did you see the tinfoil cigar wrapping machines in the packaging section?
I liked the ad. If you wrap cigars in tinfoil they won't break in your pocket.
I get their point, but it's a bit "stretchy".
Old 01-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
(I still love glass tubos.)

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
SmoknTaz
Hiding my Visa bill

First Name: Ken
Trading: (6)
Partagas
SmoknTaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know where they come from, but MRN says they showed up in Cuba in the 40's. They were in USA around the 20's.
MRN also says they may have shown up in Cuba 20 years later because in the 20's and 30's the Cubans were in an "anti-machinery" phase. Turns out the workers didn't want anything to do with machines, probably because they were putting them out of work.
There's a little more info about how awesome they are for aging cigars.
In my experience I've found that tubo + the cedar wrapper they use = extensive mold, so I'm not a fan. So if I get a tubo I throw away the cedar.
I know it's defeatist, that's why I steer clear of tubos almost exclusively although I used to think they were super cool. (I still love glass tubos.)
This is why I love CA, you never cease to learn new things, at least for me! Oh and I love tubos too!!!

Marriage is not a word. It is a sentence. (A life sentence!)
SmoknTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

Bolivar

Quote:
Did you see the tinfoil cigar wrapping machines in the packaging section?
I liked the ad. If you wrap cigars in tinfoil they won't break in your pocket.
I get their point, but it's a bit "stretchy".
I haven't, I'll check it out when I get home. Haha, maybe not "stretchy" per se, but it's definitely flexible/bendable. I don't know where that claim came from, but now I can't wait to look at it, lol. Unless back then they used that beefy, thick aluminum foil you can buy some places. Still isn't rigid though :P
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Partagas

The only one I have in foil is a Boli GM...not very rigid.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

All I know is I love lining up ten or fifteen tubos and staring at them. I'm a weirdo.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
jm0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post

The Cigar Directory in Anwer Bati's 'Celebrating Cigars' (Duncan Petersen, 2004, p. 82) credits H. Upmann with the introduction of tubos. Have no idea whether Bati is correct on this point, but thought it worth a mention. The paragraph runs as follows:

"Amon the brand's claim to fame is that it was responsible for introducing the cedar box in the form which is so familiar today. Before that cgars were sold in bundles or large chests. The word 'brand' itself is thought to come from the fact that the firm's name was actually branded (using a hot iron) on to the boxes. H. Upmann was also responsible for the introduction of the cedar-lined aluminium tube in the 1930s."

Perhaps H. Upmann's contribution was merely the change to aluminium from tin and the addition of cedar...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Partagas

Do folks usually remove the cedar from their tubos? Some of the older ones I have do not have cedar in them. I haven't seen any mold either.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigargal View Post
Do folks usually remove the cedar from their tubos? Some of the older ones I have do not have cedar in them. I haven't seen any mold either.
Some do for mold's sake. The cedar lining of the tubes, just like the cedar wrap on some cigars, seems to be conductive to mold for some reason.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I still love glass tubos.
just don't ship anything in a glass tube. had one break on me and destroy a $$ stick.