Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Opus X fuente fuente, i think?

Prelight:

The smell has some strong hints of fruit and i can't smell too much more then that since my allergies are kicking up. Hopefully this won't effect this too much. The wrapper has a fair amount of veins in it, more then i would expect from an Opus X but the construction of this cigar feels pretty good.

first few puffs: I immediately get hit with flavors of fruit spices and leather. The draw is nice and easy and the smoke equals that of the 05 carlos GoF i smoked last night (been smoking like i actually have money lately, pft that'll be soon to change.) The initial lighting of this cigar was very sloppy on my part and it has evened itself out very quickly, only a few puffs in.

first 1/3: Still tasting mostly of fruit and leather, every once and a while i'll get a slight hint of some cream. About 3/4' of an inch in the fruit notes have toned down and the spice is kickin it up a notch. I can already see why people say these need some good sleep time before they are smoked. It has a beautiful ash, not leaning to one side or the other, perfectly straight.

half way point: Im tasting a lot of leather now with a very small hint of cocoa and... coffee bean? Every once and a while the fruit and spice notes will come back into play but they definitely aren't present in every puff.

As im nearing what i would consider the end of the half way point.. im realizing that for 20bucks (give or take) this cigar is not worth its price tag. Throw me 2 illusione MK's for the price of one of these things and i'd be a happy man. Its not a bad cigar by any means just not worth its price tag imo. I could see where i would pay 10 maybe even up to 14 for this cigar but definitely no more then that.

2/3: It keeps wanting to burrow which makes me want to put this down and light up my mj12 but i'll give it a little longer.

Taste wise im getting notes of leather and spice with undertones of cream.

I'm puttin'her down. Shes fightin to much and the outcome is not worth the battle.

Overall rating (not taking into account price tag or hype): 75/100
Overall rating taking into account the above:
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opus X fuente fuente, i think?

Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Another bad Opus review, I keep putting off buying one of these b/c I have yet to see a review match to the high price...convinced again! Has anyone had a good experience with these?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Um, Yes..... But I will not pay more than $1-2 above MSRP...

The Fuente Fuente size has become my favorite. I am not a fan of the bigger ring gauge Opus....
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

I've smoked 3 of these over the past year. One was plugged, one was quite good and offered unique and complex flavors for the first half, and one was phenomenal (one of the best nc's I've ever had). Similar experiences with the Hemingway Maduros... when they are on, they're fantastic

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Every Opus/Anejo/Casa Fuente I've had was obtained through trades or as gifts and although they were all great, if I had paid for them I'm sure the price tag would have definitely affected my opinion.

good?

absolutely!

$20 good?

not so sure
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote