Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road
Default AVO classic

I can't remember the the size but I think it was about a 46x6?

Man I love these. This was only my second. The first was probably 2 years ago and this one tasted exactly like I remember. No sweetness at all, just leather with a little pencil lead. a very refined and straightforward flavor. I smoked it to the nub and was wishing it could have been a few inches longer, which is rare for me. I usually don't have the attention span to stick with anything bigger than a PC.

I've been saying forever now that Dominican tobacco has the potential to easily overtake some of the popular Nicaraguans. If you smoke a lot of Nic Puros, or if you smoke mostly CCs, these are an excellent change of pace. Complex and flavorful enough to hang with the Cuban heavyweights but also manly enough to keep up with the best that Nicaragua has to offer.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: AVO classic

AVO makes outstanding products. The Quartetto is my favorite, but all the lines I have tried have been more than agreeable to my palate.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
DougBushBC

I have liked most of the AVOs i have smoked. Unfortunately I think they are almost all overpriced for what they are, and they are a bit more mild that most would like. That being said if I am going into a random B&M and grabbing a quick stick, AVOs are high on my priority list, since they are extremely consistent.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
JJG
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
if I am going into a random B&M and grabbing a quick stick, AVOs are high on my priority list, since they are extremely consistent.
haha that's exactly how I came to smoke this one. I was on my way to play golf with Mom on Sunday and ran into Serious Cigars to grab a quick smoke for the course. I had nothing particular in mind and just picked the AVO because I was in a hurry and remembered that I enjoyed the first one.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
JJG
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Update: thought I would add a footnote here, and I wish it was a positive one but unfortunately that's not the case. I picked up another one of these for a short 1hr car trip on Friday. This one looked to be a Robusto. I'm guessing 50x5? anyhow, I really prefer smaller RG but this is was all they had.

long story short, While smoking I couldn't help but think of some of the complaints mentioned in this thread. expensive? sure, but if it's good I don't care. too mild? yes, very much so. I don't know if it was the larger RG but this one almost NO flavor at all. I was sitting there puffing like crazy but I couldn't seem to get anything off of it, and it wasn't for a lack of smoke. The draw was fine but none of that manly leather and pencil lead flavor I was hoping for.

There's nothing more frustrating in my opinion than a flavorless cigar. I'd much rather smoke one that was too strong than too mild. In hindsight though, I believe the first time I had an AVO several years ago, it was from the XO line. Maybe I'll try one of these in the future, but I doubt it. I've never seen them at any place locally and the chances of me mail ordering some is slim.