Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Good Starter Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
Thanks...if I find out the wait is going to be longer, I might just modify my order and go through this place. I'll give them a day or two...
While pipesandcigars.com is a great etailer, I usually make sure they have what I want in stock before placing the order...if they have the little "buy" button by the pipe it's usally in stock and ready to go...dunno how long they'd keep one on back order, but when I find they don't have one in stock I look elsewhere for it and I ususally turn to cupofjoes.com next...you might want to call pipesandcigars.com and ask them if they have any idea when it will be in...if they don't have an answer I usually cancel the order and get it elsewhere if it's available...the one at cupofjoes.com is a few dollars more but if it's in stock I'll pay the few $$$ extra as I hate to wait for a pipe after I've ordered it...
Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #22
PeterSK

Arrow Re: Good Starter Pipe

Hello everybody!

I've been playing with an idea of buying a pipe for a while... a week or so ago my roommate showed up home with a pipe in his mouth, which made me finally decide -- I want one myself!

I'm a broke college student so obviously, I would prefer something cheap... but I also don't want to end up buying garbage. So I wanted to ask you for an advice -- what would you recommend me? I'm looking for a piece with a curved shank & smooth surface on the outside...

So far I really like this set: http://pipesandcigars.com/docgifpac.html

What do you think about this set? Is there something better you can think of? Are these sets overpriced and would I be better off buying a pice separately?

Thanks guys (and ladies, in case there are any )
Peter
Old 12-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #23
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

It seems to be a good deal to me. I plan on getting one of those soon as well
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #24
Titus13

If you are buying from pipes and cigars I would reccomend a corn cob pipe
and butternut burley for tobacco
Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #25
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSK View Post
Hello everybody!

I've been playing with an idea of buying a pipe for a while... a week or so ago my roommate showed up home with a pipe in his mouth, which made me finally decide -- I want one myself!

I'm a broke college student so obviously, I would prefer something cheap... but I also don't want to end up buying garbage. So I wanted to ask you for an advice -- what would you recommend me? I'm looking for a piece with a curved shank & smooth surface on the outside...

So far I really like this set: http://pipesandcigars.com/docgifpac.html

What do you think about this set? Is there something better you can think of? Are these sets overpriced and would I be better off buying a pice separately?

Thanks guys (and ladies, in case there are any )
Peter
Welcome. You should post an introduction of yourself in the New Inmate Forum so the rest of us can properly welcome you!

As for what pipe you should buy, check out the sticky threads in the pipe section. The package you linked to is a pretty good deal, but I must add that there is no guarantee that your pipe will be smooth, and the "premium tobacco" they are selling you is Gas Station pipe tobacco. Not that it is bad, but it can turn people off from pipe smoking. Just be aware that if those tobaccos do not "float your boat", there is TONS of other tobaccos that will. Don't give up!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #26
Dr Voss

Peterson makes very nice pipes. If you wait a few months they make a special line every year for St. Patrick's day. They are really nice smoking and make a great keepsake too.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #27
PeterSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Welcome. You should post an introduction of yourself in the New Inmate Forum so the rest of us can properly welcome you!
DONE

thanks for all the replies... I definitely don't want to wait a few months, I'm more than eager to get my first piece I was looking at those cob corn pipes... Maybe it would be a good idea to get one of those for a first few months when I'm not really going to know what am I doing...? I was surprised to find out that they are really, really cheap. Makes me wonder, would something like this for $3.59 even work, or would it just possibly discourage me from further smoking?

Last edited by PeterSK; 12-26-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I really like my cobs, but ended up replacing the stems to improve the draw. They work very well, although I'm new too and haven't smoked a really expensive briar either.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #29
PeterSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus13 View Post
...I would reccomend a corn cob pipe
and butternut burley for tobacco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
...As for what pipe you should buy, check out the sticky threads in the pipe section...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I really like my cobs, but ended up replacing the stems to improve the draw. They work very well...
Ok, I think Im gonna go with a cob (or two), Captain Black Royal Pouch, and Scottys Bulk Blends - Butternut Burley. Later on when I'm sure I like it (and know what I'm doing) I'll just get a nicer briar piece... Thank you all for your advice!