Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
lawman

Default Pipe tobacco humidification

I smoke my pipe so seldom that a tin of pipe tobacco will dry out before I finish it. Any problem with putting the tin in my cigar humidor? Wondering if it will take on the flavors of the cedar or cigars.

Comments? Suggestions?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pipe tobacco humidification

I would just rehydrate the tobacco before you want to smoke it. Put it in a bag with a towel/sponge dampened with distilled water and just let it sit in the for a while so that it can absorb the moisture naturally.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

there's really no need to put it in the humidor. your best best is to either transfer it into a mason jar or put a piece of plastic, take the lid of the tin off, cut the plastic to size, cover the tobacco, and place the lid on. if it starts to dry out you can get some distilled water, wet a paper towel and place that on the paper cover over top of the tobacco
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I have this problem as well, and truthfully, I have found that a 28 qt ice chest holds all my pipes, tobacco and....well,
that's it really. But my tobacco never dries out, cause I keep a piece of florist's foam in the ice chest as if I was storing
NC cigars back in the olden days. It's a small ice chest and therefore is not too much of a hassle and can handle all my
various over-zealous purchases of tobacco that sometime before 2050 I will get around to smoking.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

If its an aromatic DO NOT put it in your humidor no matter what. Aromatics will stink up your humidor just like an Acid would.

If you saved the cardstock sheet that was sitting on top of the tobacco when you opened the tin, just rip off a small piece of paper towel, wet it and put it on top of the cardstock sheet, then close up the tin and put it to the side for a day-ish. Should get right back into old form. You can put it in your humidor assuming its and English, but cigar humidors are generally at a much lower humidity than most pipe tobaccos come at. Pipe tobaccos are generally in the 80-90% humidity range when fresh.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
fid
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
fid is on a distinguished road

Easiest thing to do is decant the tin of tobacco into a mason jar. It will keep forever; you will not have to concern yourself with the moisture of the tobacco from then on. It may begin to dry out if you dip into the jar frequently, though. If that happens, just rehydrate if necessary. Put a label on the jar, too.
fid is offline   Reply With Quote