Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #61
Slavac

Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Pretend you've just purchased this rather nice humidor. Would you mind going step by step what you'd do to get it ready for cigars? Preferably how to season, how long, beads or no, and how long before I can add cigars.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #62
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavac View Post

Pretend you've just purchased this rather nice humidor. Would you mind going step by step what you'd do to get it ready for cigars? Preferably how to season, how long, beads or no, and how long before I can add cigars.

Thanks guys.
I have several humidors like the Foot Locker. There are several ways to season and what I do is not commonly adhered too but it works for me. I wiped down the humidor with a lightly, I repeat lightly, damp cloth of distilled water. Then I placed a bowl of distilled water in the microwave and heated it up for 30 seconds and placed it in the humidor. I repeated that every 12 hours for 2 days. The humidity was very high so I let it come down naturally to about 70%. It took a few more days for that to happen. Then loaded them up. They keep great humidity and I keep them between 59 and 63%. Alot of folks say not to wipe down because it can warp the wood. But if done lightly, I don't think there will a problem. I have always done it with no problems.

Beads are a great way to maintain humidity and I recommend them as I am sure the majority here does, as well. You should be able to take those humidifiers that come with it and take the foam out and place beads in there but I recommend you place your humidifier source in the bottom center of the humidor. Humidity rises.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #63
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I agree that wiping it down with a slightly damp cloth will not harm a good humidor. It can cause warpage in the cheapies that use cedar plywood.

Heartfelt beads are the way to go for Rh maintenance. They are like magic and will last for many years. I think most use 65% beads and keep Rh between 62 and 65%.

Be sure to take some pics as you fill that baby up!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #64
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I wiped mine with a damp towel as well. Trays also. Then I put a bowl of water with a new sponge in it, and an Oust fan. I let it get a bit over hunidified and then brought it back down to 65%. I use Shilala's 65% beads, work excellently,
Old 09-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #65
Slavac

Followup question: I've 200 cigars and only 50ct of seasoned humidor to put them in currently. The chest humidor just arrived yesterday.

Can I keep cigars in the 300ct humidor while seasoning? If not, what should I do with them?

Thanks for the answers guys!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #66
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You will be spiking the humidity in the 300 count while seasoning it, so that would not be wise.

If you have a tupperware container that seals well, they should be fine in there for a few days until the humi is ready.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #67
drunkentester
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (0)
drunkentester is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about different types of cutters. Is there some general recommendations on when to use a V-cut or a punch cut? I know I've read that the size and shape of the cigar comes in play, but I haven't read any firm recommendations.

I'm currently using just the standard double-guillotine Xikar cutter on all my cigars since that's all I have. Am I missing out on something based on always using a guillotine cut on my cigars?

Thanks,

--Dennis
drunkentester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #68
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

All I use is a guillotine cut, I prefer it personally, but it is all a matter of choice.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #69
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

I use a double guillotine (specifically a Palio) 99% of the time, but I agree with Tom.

If I were attempting to tackle a +54 ring gauge cigar, I'd probably be more inclined to punch it first, then cut if the punch didn't work out.

It's all a matter of personal choice.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #70
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkentester View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about different types of cutters. Is there some general recommendations on when to use a V-cut or a punch cut? I know I've read that the size and shape of the cigar comes in play, but I haven't read any firm recommendations.

I'm currently using just the standard double-guillotine Xikar cutter on all my cigars since that's all I have. Am I missing out on something based on always using a guillotine cut on my cigars?

Thanks,

--Dennis
It's really personal preference.

I use a double guillotine cutter most of the time just but on thinner ring gauge cigars, I use a small punch.

I also use my thumb nail or a sharp pocket knife to cut around the perimeter of the cap to just remove the cap (I actually prefer this method the most)

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #71
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Just to add a little to the discussion about cutters. I am using my Palio double guillotine cutter less and less. Most of the time I just use my fingernail to remove a portion of the cap. This works very well for me except with particular vitolas that have a tapered head, i.e. Campana, Piramide, etc. This further proves that a lot of things about this hobby is personal preference.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #72
cabinets

I just got a 1000 count cabinet humi. I also got a Cigar Oasis XL PLUS humidifier. A buddy told me the Oasis will season the humi fully overnight. Seems wrong but I wanna believe. Wise to put around 300 sticks (most in boxes) in after a day of running the Oasis?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #73
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I would give it at least a couple or three day of days. But that's just me.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #74
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I would give it at least a couple or three day of days. But that's just me.
I agree, I'd give it 5-10 days.

In a cabinet, it's wise to place 3 calibrated, digital hygrometers throughout (top, middle & bottom).

After a few days, see where you are at each.

Don't let your excitement get the best of you. You should wait a little longer than you think to ensure that the new wood has absorb it's capacity of h2o.

As you add cigars, you may the RH drop as well.

I hope this helps

~Mark
Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #75
Wraiith

What's the best travel humidor for the money? I am looking for one that can hold at least 15 and will keep them safe and in good condition if one were to go hiking, camping, the like....

And once you get a travel humidor, is there anything special you need to do to make it ideal for more rough (and possibly lengthy: more than 2 day) expeditions?

Thanks all!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #76
Wraiith

And to piggy back on that last post, since I am so new to cigars and pipe smoking, I need a humidor because I either have to store the cigars and tobacco on my desk open to the elements (harsh, I know) or I have to store them in a friend's humidor (not a problem, but not ideal).

I've been told by a very reliable source that a humidor is a humidor is a humidor. However, I'd still be interested to hear any ideas from y'all regarding size, product lines to stay away from (bad seals, etc), and just any information in general!

Thanks again in advance for all your help!!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #77
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiith View Post
What's the best travel humidor for the money? I am looking for one that can hold at least 15 and will keep them safe and in good condition if one were to go hiking, camping, the like....

And once you get a travel humidor, is there anything special you need to do to make it ideal for more rough (and possibly lengthy: more than 2 day) expeditions?

Thanks all!
In my view, one of the very best if Cigarcaddy. Otterbox sold off the cigarcaddy line to some of their employees and they are now at http://www.cigarcaddy.com/

If you aren't going for more than a week, then this is what I recommend:

1. Take all the foam trays out of the cigarcaddy - you won't need them
2. Pack your cigars in 5-finger bags. These keep them separated and provides some cushioning to prevent cigar damage.

Go forth and enjoy. I've checked my 30 count cigarcaddy in soft sided luggage for international travel and never had a stick broken using the above method. I can get about 50 sticks in the 30 count using this method. However, I almost never check it if I can help it.

the zip-lock format of the 5-finger bags will seal in the humidity and the air tight seal on the cigarcaddy helps as well. For travel on an airplane, I suggest one with a pressure relief valve or you might have to wrestle with it to get the box to open after the flight. The rugged and nearly indestructible PVC plastic is a great plus.

I have 3 cigarcaddys, all gifted to me. Love em. Oh yeah, they are waterproof.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #78
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

i agree on the cigar caddy....i would get at least the 18 or 30 count, they both come with the pressure relief valve and are virutally indestructible...and as you go forth you will fill and take them with you...

the 30 ct can also double as your desktop if needed....just put some beads in a tube with it and you are good
Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #79
Wraiith

Sounds great! Thanks all. I'm probably going to be hitting up cigar caddy very soon now, haha
Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #80
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Partagas

Great tips.

Also, the Puck-ifier was designed to fit into the lid of the existing hole in the Xikar 18, 30 & 50 count travel humidors (a hole can easily be cut in the lid foam of the Cigar Caddy).

I hope this helps

~Mark