Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project of the Day : Black Walnut iPad Cover

Hi guys,
I needed a cover for my ipad so I didn't destroy it while I waited for the Otterbox covers to come out. I had the cheesy sleeve that I bought with the ipad, but it drove me nuts. It was forever dirty and didn't really protect anything at all.
It did employ some good ideas, but the material was crap and it didn't work very well.
I was watching a ball game in the shop and came up with this thing.
I chose black walnut because I had some and hadn't used it to make anything. I just wanted to see how it finished because I was planning to build a humi. I'm glad I used it because it's truly a gorgeous wood.
I also wanted to see if I liked Satin Polyurethane, and wanted to try the stuff in spray cans, so I used that.
Here's what the whole deal turned out like...

Here she is all closed up. It looks really nice sitting around, and you'd never guess what was in it. I kept it nice and small, and the cover makes my clumsy hands hang on to it a lot better.

Here she is opened up and standing. It doesn't stand like that real well on slippery surfaces. It works awesome when I'm laying in bed or on the couch reading. It stands up on my stomach perfectly. I can read for hours and it never tips over.

When I fold the lid back, it puts a nice natural incline on the ipad, like a bookrest. It really helps when it's on a table so I can read without hanging over it, and I don't have to hold on to it.

Start paying attention to the hinge setup. There are two piano hinges and a reticulating douchebag that allows the back and front to fold all the way over and back. I chose piano hinges so it wouldn't be sloppy, and added the reticulating rocker thing to hide screws. It worked out great, although I wrecked one of the douchebags and had to make another one. I blew it out with all the screws. I was being fast and lazy.

more on the way...