Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Being a Hockey Parent

So this post has 2 parts.....

First.... The Little Man went away from Eagle gloves.... Don't know why this is disappointing to me, but it is all the same. He has had a pair on since he was 7 and now TPS.... Like always, I tell him, fit and function is key....and tossed him what was sure to be his next gloves(Eagle PPF's). Told him to try on a few pair of gloves while I chased his sister around, who was trying on every piece of equipment in the place. Anyway, came back and he had his gloves picked out... I am sure I must have given a look, because I got the response "They are what fit best, I LIKE THESE." Dad was just overruled for the first time in an equipment purchase..... (I still think the Eagle's felt better)

Second..... Just paid for this years USAHockey fee this morning. Purchased a new helmet(just because), shield(his old fishbowl was hammered), gloves and shin guards this afternoon...... Saturday I will pay this years rec hockey fees(his last year) and expect to hear shortly what this season of high school hockey(his first regular season, has been playing this Summer with the JV team) will be costing me.... It is a good damn thing I love this sport and being at the rink, because it is not exactly easy on my wallet.

Guess there could be worse things, right....I could be paying for travel leagues... (He also is going to make it into the new season in last years skates, so that is a nice treat)

In the end, I could not be happier to be working my way through this and cross my fingers that his sister catches the bug as well....

P.S. I'll get a box of cigars worth of cash out of his old stuff at the skate swap....

P.S.S. 2 more years and I don't have to taxi him to practices, drop in and stick & puck.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Paging Al ...
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

For the record, E.J, I like the Eagles too.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

My son just informed me that he wishes to stop playing hockey this year. He would be a 2nd year Bantam, just one season away from playing at the high school level. Started when he was 4 and after 11 season, he is not as in love with the game as he used to be, and is thinking of all the stuff that he has missed out on. He wants to ski, snowboard and do some family vacations that don't involve him playing in 3-5 games in single weekend. He switched from forward to goalie about 5 years ago, and has had some great success.
I am saddened, but at the same time proud of what he has accomplished! I am also going to miss the rink, but feel I can acclimate to a chalet setting just fine.
The sale of his equipment is going to be bittersweet as shopping for it has always been one of my favorite things to do with him.

Last edited by Gophernut; 08-03-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: content change
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Wow Steve, my son is the same age(going into his second year of Bantam) and I am not sure how I would feel about hearing that....

Good for him to make a decision that he feels strongly about. Who knows, maybe he just needs a year off to reinvigorate. Whatever happens, I am sure it will be a fun ride for him.

I am sure warm ski lodges and fine cigars await you this season!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

It could be worse. He could have been a she and a cheerleader. The money they blow through is INCREDIBLE.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

My kid has his first team practice of the year tonight, we leave in moments. Paying my first installment tonight too.

2nd year Peewee and he still loves it as much as he did when he was 4, he is even branching out this year and should be playing defense almost full time.

If he ever said he wanted to quit I would make sure he had all the relevant info first, and then cry alone if he really did quit. Some kids are just naturals, and you hate to see that go to waste.

In the end as long as he was truly happy and still kept busy and stayed academically healthy as well, I would support whatever decision he made.

It would still suck tho

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
If he ever said he wanted to quit I would make sure he had all the relevant info first, and then cry alone if he really did quit. Some kids are just naturals, and you hate to see that go to waste.

In the end as long as he was truly happy and still kept busy and stayed academically healthy as well, I would support whatever decision he made.

It would still suck tho
Yep it sucks, but he really wants to see what is out there, he only went snowboarding once in his life and really enjoyed it, up until the part where he broke his arm. He has been on the 'A' teams for the most part and he has played on many competitive club type teams, and year round for the past 4 years. I think he burnt himself out. When he has been told by coaches that he can't snowboard, it just make him want to do it more. So I respect it, and I'll miss it. I am also bummed that Wisconsin just passed a no smoking law and will not be able to smoke cigars in the chalet anymore.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
It could be worse. He could have been a she and a cheerleader. The money they blow through is INCREDIBLE.
What the heck do cheerleaders spend money on???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
My kid has his first team practice of the year tonight, we leave in moments. Paying my first installment tonight too.

2nd year Peewee and he still loves it as much as he did when he was 4, he is even branching out this year and should be playing defense almost full time.
NICE! I love the excitement of a new season....
Old 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Enjoy the season E.J.!
Quote:
Tell me about it! My oldest had her first practice of the season yesterday. Competition cheerleading at 7....yes, 7. She and my wife love it though, so I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
"Camp", sneakers, bloomers, outfits, hair accessories, gym time, mat time.....ahhhhH!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
I dunno but I remember the girls in high school telling me about the money that goes into it. I'm not joking when I say thousands a year.

I will say its possible my high school friends spent more than most. They were very talented (multiple national championships) and VERY materialistic.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post

"Camp", sneakers, bloomers, outfits, hair accessories, gym time, mat time.....ahhhhH!
Ummmm...I will bet hockey costs have you beat by a longshot, Joel.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

Diplomatico

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
We figured it was at least $700 a year on goal sticks, that's buying the cheap ones! I have a place where I can buy the type he likes, non composite, for around $70 each, and he goes through about 10 of them a year. Not to mention pads, gloves, blocker, mask, chest protector, cups, etc. We found a place that leased skates so we could make sure he didn't grow out of them in one season, and have to buy them. It saved us a couple of years.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Can't wait to be a hockey dad!
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that is true, Tom. I know hockey is a very expensive venture...from what I understand one of the most expensive for kids to be involved in. Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally.
Exactly.....
Old 08-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have 2 daughters, and one of them loves to dance. THe other is still a baby..... I know I am in trouble.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefy View Post
Can't wait to be a hockey dad!
It is about as fun as it gets. The Little Man has done it all(sport wise) and there is nothing I would rather be doing with him..... I playfully ***** a little about the cost, but truly....nobody makes me purchase the things I do. I am a gearaholic that takes out my sickness on my child....

Since the start of the Summer season.....

10K shin pads
10K elbow pads
S19 pants
9900 bucket w/ Bauer clear full shield
X60 stick
R8 gloves

Think there is a place I can go for help...
Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

The bank.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
The bank.
....oh they have been more than helpful in sending my money to Players Bench....