Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road
Default Partagas....

I've had 5 Partagas sticks now. 3 Black and 2 Cifuentes... well, let me correct that, I've TRIED to have 5 Partagas sticks. They have all had MAJOR draw issues which rendered them worthless. The Blacks were so bad I envoked the CI guarantee and got my money back.

How many chances do you give a brand? Have I just had extremely bad luck?
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Partagas....

After 5 I'd dump them. I liked the Gurks until I have about a half dozen that were just God awful.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I don't smoke many NC Partagas'. In fact, the only one I've had in the last two years was a Cifuentes. They just don't float my boat. I haven't had draw problems with them, however.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
I've had 5 Partagas sticks now. 3 Black and 2 Cifuentes... well, let me correct that, I've TRIED to have 5 Partagas sticks. They have all had MAJOR draw issues which rendered them worthless. The Blacks were so bad I envoked the CI guarantee and got my money back.

How many chances do you give a brand? Have I just had extremely bad luck?
I assume they all came from CI? Let them rest for a couple weeks, or dry-box them? Just wondering, because everything I always got from CI or Cbid was always well over-humidified, and always had draw issues when fresh. I rarely smoked anything from CI sooner than a month from getting them. I haven't gotten anything from CI in several years, and was wondering if they were still shipping over-humidified?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I've had NC partagas, they are awful. Horrible injustice to the name "Partagas".

The blacks tasted like soap and ...something else fowl. I forget. Plastic maybe?

I dunno they sat in my wooden desktop at the time for probably 2 months before smoking them...Wasn't my fault they were bad, just....bad.

If I try maybe 3 cigars from a brand and don't like them. I'll never buy another from that brand.

I do agree with Cliff though, CI is horrible. Get your smokes elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I I haven't gotten anything from CI in several years, and was wondering if they were still shipping over-humidified?
My last shipment sure seemed to be. 1 week in my 65% humi and still was hard to keep lit.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Thrak

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I assume they all came from CI? Let them rest for a couple weeks, or dry-box them? Just wondering, because everything I always got from CI or Cbid was always well over-humidified, and always had draw issues when fresh. I rarely smoked anything from CI sooner than a month from getting them. I haven't gotten anything from CI in several years, and was wondering if they were still shipping over-humidified?
The one I tried tonight has at least 2 months on it, the Blacks had at least a month.

I havent had problems with CI. I've got a good enough stock I can let them rest a while...
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I wonder if they really ship from the warehouse that wet, or if the 90% RH in transit has more of an effect?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

My friends and I have had draw trouble with Partagas Blacks for years. When they draw good they are decent but when they don't they are like smoking a broomstick.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

I've always had a bad experience with the partagas black, and I did give it a fair shake. The first time it was sick as a dog, just tasted like windex. The second time it was plugged. The third time, it was plugged as well. Though it could have just as easily been frozen because I was chewing on it and I was trying to smoke it outside watching the fireworks in colorado on a particularly cold new years.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I think NC Partagas are notoriously bad. The only time I have had a B&M employee tell me NOT to buy a cigar was when I picked up a Partagas.

The Benji Master Series was a joke too, complete waste of money in my opinion.

It's unfortunate, as someone else mentioned since the the original CC Partagas line is top notch.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

When the Blacks are on... they are on!
That said... I can only recall literally a handful that were on out of 50 or so that I've had.
The regular NC Partagas that I've had have mostly been dog rockets.
They had a seasonal line (Summer, Winter and Fall) that was phenomenal... I still have a box and a half from '04.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Thrak

HUpmann

Man I thought I was the only one lol

I havent had the opportunity to try a CC one, but I think I'm done with the NCs... Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me 5 times and shame on err.. its a shame!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I smoke a lot of the blacks. I'm on my third or fourth box of the magnificos. I've seriously never had a bad stick. One of the more consistent smokes I've encountered in terms of both flavor and draw. It's a shame you've experienced otherwise.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road

I got a great buy from CI, not knowing their reputation, which, so far as I read here, stems only from selling over-humidified products. What else makes them so bad that some advocate not doing business with them?

Be that as it may, The box I bought from them, $39.00 for a box of 20 Cuba Libre churchills, were wet. I only let them sit in my humidor for three days
and smoked one, and the burn imploded: the draw remained but had little effect on burning the cigar; instead the wrapper turned black all around it, with a small amount of smoke.

The happy ending is that I smoked one today and both the burn and the taste were good.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Man and CI has such good prices....any others that people could suggest, I was really drooling over that new catalog too.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I got a 10 pack of Partagas Spanish Rosado from CI and have had nothing but great smokes. You just have to be cognizant that they come in a little over humidified and let them sit and adjust.

I have been ordering from CI for at least 3 years now and have not had any major (cracking, smashed, beetles, mold) problems at all.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
thechrisdotcom

thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation

I've bought a few boxes and samplers from CI before, never had issues. I did buy a bundle of the Gran Habanos Vintage 2002s but I was forewarned to let them sit out for a week or 2 before putting them in the humidor since they came a bit wet. I did smoke one that was still too wet and it was a failure. But other than that, the advice I got from a buddy about letting them sit for awhile helped me not ruin the smokes. I just had to wait it out.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Adam & Chris good news
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

Im mostly a CC guy myself now, but the Party Blacks are actually one of my fav NC sticks.
Maybe Ive just been lucky with them?
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote