Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will you guys suggest a good Civil War book?

I like a textbook style learnin'. I'd like a book that covers the pre-war political climate, at least lightly, then goes through the battles and actual war pretty comprehensively. A short tie-up, assassination, postwar climate, at least lightly, would be ideal.
I've pieced everything together over the years, studying all the pre-war stuff, and have recently been reading articles in Smithsonian that have me wanting to read more. Mostly so I can get all the stuff in my melon organized.
I'm not sure if a different point of view than a narrative would be more fun to read, but something more interesting than soup can ingredients would be highly appreciated.
I looked in iBooks and there were some that may be okay. I have kindle on my iPad, too. I should have mentioned I want to find it in ebook format.
Thank You!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will you guys suggest a good Civil War book?

a fellow inmate wrote about about Gettysburg.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
a fellow inmate wrote about about Gettysburg.
I think he wants a complete overview of the whole war, in one book.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Scott a professor friend of mine has written some pretty extensive Napolean books for Oklahoma Press. Try googling Oaklahoma press and see what they have. One of my buddies books was 800 pages and included all kinds of maps. He was out in the German and French archives for months. So I'm sure they have to have some good ones on the Civil War.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

If you want something other than a textbook format, take a look at John Jakes' North and South Trilogy. It's historical fiction and covers the periods you're interested in. If I recall, it wasn't a bad read. While the main characters are fictional, he's fairly accurate from a historical perspective and provides an interesting flavor of the times.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Catton/e...r_dp_pel_pop_1
Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom
Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I got this one, the audio/video version. I'm slogging through the beginning, which so far has earned the word slog. I'm sure it'll pick up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
I will take a look at this one tomorrow. I'm sure I'll get it, it comes very highly endorsed.

Thank You, gentlemen!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I have this trilogy, but haven't started it yet. This will be saved to read after I finish nursing school in May.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Narr...0960146&sr=8-1
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'll second this one. Read it twice. Good stuff!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
This one went and got real good on me already. It kept me up till 2:00 last night, and I expect I'll have my nose in it all day.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote..........might not be critically detailed, or should I say there was a tremendous
amount of narrative and southern style put into this work by the late Memphis resident. This is the book that inspired the
Ken Burns epic. Even if you select something else, pick this UP!

Last edited by OLS; 07-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote..........might not be critically detailed, or should I say there was a tremendous
amount of narrative and southern style put into this work by the late Memphis resident. This is the book that inspired the
There's a bunch of Shelby Foote audio blurbs all over this book. I'll see what else he has to say and grab that book if I'm not completely Civil War'd out. Thanks Brad!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

If you want to read about civil war medicine, you can pick up my book
Old 07-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I like a textbook style learnin'. I'd like a book that covers the pre-war political climate, at least lightly, then goes through the battles and actual war pretty comprehensively. A short tie-up, assassination, postwar climate, at least lightly, would be ideal.
I've pieced everything together over the years, studying all the pre-war stuff, and have recently been reading articles in Smithsonian that have me wanting to read more. Mostly so I can get all the stuff in my melon organized.
I'm not sure if a different point of view than a narrative would be more fun to read, but something more interesting than soup can ingredients would be highly appreciated.
I looked in iBooks and there were some that may be okay. I have kindle on my iPad, too. I should have mentioned I want to find it in ebook format.
Thank You!!!
Quote:
For my money, although it's not one book:

The Coming Fury
Terrible Swift Sword
Never Call Retreat

Catton's earlier trilogy focused on the Army of the Potomac, while these offered a broader view of not only the battles, but the socio-economic and political map of the day.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Yep, definitely told from a Southern point of view (not saying that in a negative way mind you, merely agreeing). If I remember correctly, he even refers to some of the major battles by what they were known as in the South (for instance, Battle of Antietam is called the Battle of Sharpsburg).
Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Yeah, this is the book you want if you're limiting yourself to one book.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I'm about a 1/4th of the way through Civil War: An Illustrated History. I could do without the sojourns into essaydom, but I suppose it breaks things up. I think it disrupts the flow and it's redundant. I may skip the rest and come back to them later.
I'd complain if they hung me with a new rope, though.
So far it's been an excellent read, and exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

Shelby Foote ftw
bscottskangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I just finished "Civil War - An Illustrated History" and I very much enjoyed it. I just picked up Battle Cry of Freedom, and I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks again, gentlemen!!!