Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
thecatch83

Default Arturo Fuente Anejos #48

Purchased a fiver of the #48's a few months ago, and decided to fire one up while the others are put away to age for the next year (at least). Essentially the Opus blend from Chateau Fuente covered in a sweet cognac aged maduro wrapper, the Anejo has a delicious floral and sticky aroma of chocolate and coffee with perfect construction. After cutting the head with my xicar, two things immediately came to mind. A: This cigar is packed so full it will have draw problems and B: This stick is going to last over two hours and kick my ass through every minute of that two hours.

Size-7 x 48
Filler- Dom. Republic
Wrapper- Maduro
Strength- Full Body
Cut- Xicar
Smoke Time- 1 hour 55 minutes

After smoking the Anejo 48, I've come to the realization that Fuente just doesn't produce a bad smoke. The consistency with their cigars is outstanding to say the least. Draw was perfect, great smoke output, ash held on for a good inch and a half (30 min. intervals), complex flavors of chewy and oily coffee, cocoa, tobacco. After an hour in, I did get a nice buzz from this stick and could barely make it to the band. Cigar was definitely full body, but without being intrusive or over the top. Would I buy more of these? Without question, although I would like to try other vitolas in the Anejo line.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice
Default Re: Arturo Fuente Anejos #48

Thanks for the review.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

I love all Anejos, but my favorite vitola is the 46
Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Nice review - I fully agree. I had the baby brother of this (46) and it was very nice, definitely some strong chocolate flavors towards the end.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
Essentially the Opus blend from Chateau Fuente covered in a sweet cognac aged maduro wrapper
Not exactly. The blend for Anejo's is a combination of Don Carlos, Hemingway Series and Opus X.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Not exactly. The blend for Anejo's is a combination of Don Carlos, Hemingway Series and Opus X.
Good catch Greg, that seems to be one of those pieces of misinformation / misunderstandings out there that just never seems to die.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review, that is a good looking stick!!! I could almost taste it from here. :d
Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Is it not grown at the same farm as the Opus X blend? What other blends come from vega fina de tabaco at the Fuente Fuente farm? If there are misconceptions about where exactly certain tobacco is grown, I would ( I'm sure others as well) like to know more about the Opus and Fuente production information.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

can't wait to try the one you sent me
Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review, an Anejo was the first $10+ cigar I smoked
bscottskangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Is it not grown at the same farm as the Opus X blend? What other blends come from vega fina de tabaco at the Fuente Fuente farm? If there are misconceptions about where exactly certain tobacco is grown, I would ( I'm sure others as well) like to know more about the Opus and Fuente production information.
Just because it's grown on the same farm doesn't make it the same blend. It just means that it came from the same farm.

A filler blend refers to a specific combination of tobacco leaves. Any variation in proportion of a specific leaf, it's priming on the plant or the varietal of tobacco plant it was taken from creates a new and different blend.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

adam, i dont like ur new avatar. it confused me i was like huh?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Sorry about that. The old one is out being washed and waxed right now. It'll be back by tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review brother!!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
Slow-N-Steady

Thanks for the review. I'm smoking one right now, this thing lasts forever. lol
Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Sorry about that. The old one is out being washed and waxed right now. It'll be back by tomorrow.
Thread jack much?

Thanks for the info.......so to clarify, the Anejo does include Opus X tobacco, with a combination of other fillers from the same farm and production site. So when I stated that the Anejo is essentially the Opus blend with a maduro wrapper, I should have stated that the Anejo is a blend of Opus leaf mixed with different tobacco from the same farm (Chateau Fuente) covered in a Maduro wrapper aged months in cognac barrels.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Thread jack much?
Yes.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.......so to clarify, the Anejo does include Opus X tobacco, with a combination of other fillers from the same farm and production site. So when I stated that the Anejo is essentially the Opus blend with a maduro wrapper, I should have stated that the Anejo is a blend of Opus leaf mixed with different tobacco from the same farm (Chateau Fuente) covered in a Maduro wrapper aged months in cognac barrels.
You could, it's all up to you, I'm not going to tell you how to write your reviews, but I've learned from experience that when it gets that complicated to explain, especially for a cigar as well known as an Anejo, it's probably better to just simply state that it's "Premium Dominican Filler" and just leave it at that.

There is really no true varietal of tobacco called "opus", just a number of different tobaccos used to create the filler/binder blend in that cigar plus a wrapper leaf that is regarded as a distinctive characteristic of the cigar. To single out the filler leaves in the Anejo which happen to be common with the Opus is really more marketing shtick than anything else, because those same plants could be providing filler or binder leaf, possibly taken from different primings, to other cigars, you just don't hear about it as Fuente doesn't want to dilute or reduce the status & stigma of their flagship cigar.

As for the "maduro", maduro isn't a type of leaf, it's a state. It's a darker, more heavily fermented leaf. The extra fermentation gives the leaf a different flavor and profile characteristic than the lighter shades on the chart. Any tobacco can be made "maduro", although certain varietals are grown and harvested almost exclusively for this process, while others are rarely ever taken to that state. As for the Anejo, it has one of the most common maduro wrappers there is, a Connecticut Broadleaf.

Last edited by T.G; 04-13-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #18
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote