Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

First Name: Craig
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
Costa is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help - Part II

First, thanks to everyone from "Need some help" Part I. I am currently set up with a Technivorm and a Macap M4. The Technivorm is working great, the Macap M4 I am sort of struggling with because of the doser and that I am using it for drip coffee (Technivorm) at this time until I get an espresso maker this spring. Its making quite the mess, and its difficult to get the grinds from the doser into the scoop for the Technivorm without making a mess. I am going to need the M4 for the espresso, so it was an upfront investment, but its a pain now. Its also leading me into putting in a coffee wet bar in my home with a small sink, granite counter, etc. Having that looked at this week, it would make a great spot for the espresso maker.

So, my dilemma; is there a quick and dirty grinder that I can use easily for my daily grinding needs for my drip? Or a set-up that makes it not such a nightmare to use the M4 for drip? I am wasting a lot of grinds, as I can't seem to nail down the proper quantity for my 6 cups of morning coffee. I always over-grind. The M4 will be perfect when I get my espresso maker, but I may have bought it too early, but not a big deal.

On the flip side, I have never had a better cup of coffee than this set-up. Granted my previous set-up was pretty bad, but its nice to have a cup of coffee that is not bitter and burnt.

Thanks all!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need some help - Part II

Why don't you get a cheap kitchen timer and do a trial and error with turning on the grinder, then turning it off in 5 seconds and see how close you are to the proper dose? I bet 5 seconds will be within a second or two of proper dose and the waste should be minimal. You'll use the timer again once you get your espresso machine to get dialed in to 25 second pulls more than likely.

I've had my Macap a few months and still never get EXACTLY the right amount of grinds and end up tossing a little after each session. Just don't leave the old grinds in the doser.

On a side note, if you haven't already picked up a cheap paint brush to sweep out the doser, it really helps, epecially to clear out the chute which is a great place to collect stale grinds. I stick the Shop Vac hoser in the doser and throat once a week as well.

As far as the mess, better get used to that, it's a messy hobby. Keep plenty of hand rags handy and invest in a Dirt Devil little vac for quick cleanup.

For the transfer of grinds without a portafilter and into a cone filter like the one on your technivorm, I would personally put a small plastic tupperware or something under the Macap doser and thwack out the grinds and transfer.

You didn't buy the grinder too early, you saved the expense of upgrading later.

I have an old Krups grinder with cheap burrs that I would feel fine using for drip coffee and it cost me about 20 bucks if I remember correctly, but there's no reason for not using that beauty of a grinder you just bought.

Last edited by floydpink; 12-07-2009 at 08:41 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

The problem with espresso grinder is that they are a pain to use for anything else. Even with my setup with the Baratza Vario which easily switches grind size I like two grinders. A good burr grinder like a refurb or new Baratza Maestro will compliment your TV and other brew needs well.

http://www.baratza.com/refurb.php

When you plan on getting an espresso machine? Start gathering info now and plan on getting over loaded with info that tries to separate one hot water delivery system from another. You have the most important pieces already, the grinder and you.

Last edited by germantown rob; 12-08-2009 at 04:47 AM.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Need some help - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Its making quite the mess, and its difficult to get the grinds from the doser into the scoop for the Technivorm without making a mess. I am going to need the M4 for the espresso, so it was an upfront investment, but its a pain now.
Use a sheet of glossy paper creased and dose right into the paper. It should be able to hold enough or do it twice. That is how I get coffee from the doser to the french press...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Just bite the bullet and call Wholelattelove with your credit card in hand, get a really cool E61 machine and worry about the bill after the new year. Tell them you just bought a grinder and ,"there MUST be something you can do to get me into the machine of my dreams"

Your headed down the path, resistance is futile and it is inevitable you will be owning a prosumer espresso machine. DO IT NOW before you change your mind.

Money comes and goes, but really good espresso has solved most of the world's problems and very likely has jump started our economy and cured global warming.

Problem solved forever.

I gave serious consideration to this machine...
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Expobar/office_lever.cfm

Last edited by floydpink; 12-08-2009 at 09:06 AM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

First Name: Craig
Montecristo
Costa is on a distinguished road

Thank you all! This could be more expensive than the cigar slope, but I have to say, myself and my family are enjoying coffee like never before. I think I am going to get one of those refurbished grinders and/or go the timing route.

Wow, that's a nice espresso maker. I am doing the research now, I'm budgeting about $1500-$1800. I am in the midst of a home renovation (the kitchen is not being touched), and I am talking to the builder about a wet bar where I can have a "coffee station" off of the main kitchen. I am running out of room on the kitchen counter for all the of "equipment". Anyone have any advice on their own bar areas where they make coffee?

I am just dying for the espresso maker...lol. I need to do a little more research.

I am very glad I invested upfront for the good grinder. I'd not change the taste of my coffee for anything.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Oh what is a couple hundred more?

Oh Yeah!

It is up for debate whether a duel boiler is an upgrade to an HX. If you have not read " How I Stopped Worrying and
Learned to Love HXs
" then read through it, I must have read it 20 times before my machine got here.

This is for the plumbed in version it is less for the pour over and vibe pump. The advice I have for a built in is to plan on plumbing in what ever machine you get, also filtration to soften the water if needed and good lighting. Space for all the accessories as well, cups, tampers, knock box, rags, milk in the small fridge under it, chocolate, spoons, a variety of sugar, and the list goes on. I want an entire room dedicated all things coffee and smoking.

Last edited by germantown rob; 12-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Yep, that Brewtis is a beast for sure. Rotary pump.

I steered clear of a plumbed in machine as the water in Florida will eat it alive, even with a softener and filter. I pour spring water into mine.

So glad I spent the extra money for a heat exchange machine as the steaming and consistent heat are something I couldn't imagine not having now that I have it.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
...its difficult to get the grinds from the doser into the scoop for the Technivorm without making a mess.
Not a T-worm guy so I don't quite understand this.

For non-espresso needs I dose from a Mazzer directly into the always nearby steaming pitcher for precise-enough drip, press or vac. Moka grind is dosed right into the filterbasket; turkish goes into a 2-ounce stainless cup. A handswipe lands the leftovers in the trashbasket beneath the counter.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Darn you guys. I have no room for an Expresso Maker. I need a bigger house. Oh honey, dear.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

First Name: marc
HUpmann
trogdor is on a distinguished road

I have a doser-less Rocky, and just measure the required amount of whole beans into the machine, and grind right into the filter basket.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote