Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #381
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

What channel is this WEC fight on?
Giant & 49er Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #382
LordOfWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPguy View Post
What channel is this WEC fight on?
on Versus
Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #383
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

In case you all haven't already seen, Kimblow Slice is on the next season of TUF with Rampage and Rashad as coaches. Also, conveniently for the first time in like 6 seasons, Dana isn't making fighters fight their way into the house. As much as I hate Kimbo, this was a great business decision by Dana. He'll get the TUF ratings back to where they used to be years ago, and he'll likely let Kimbo get destroyed and never let him back in the UFC just to prove the point that he's said all along, that Kimbo is a hack.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #384
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Wow, no action tonight in this thread with one of the best MMA cards in years on Showtime. I gotta say I'm a little surprised.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #385
teotides

I thought the Diaz vs. Smith fight was pretty entertaining. Diaz put on a boxing clinic then finished nicely. Smack talk about the guys training partners and gym to boot!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #386
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

I agree, Diaz threw I think it was 221 punches in the 2nd ROUND alone. Scott Smith's head looked like the speed bag bouncing back and forth. The KO that Rogers put on AA was insane. It's a shame such a great fighter like AA lost his edge so fast. Rise to the top than crash to the bottom. Sucks. Shields choke out of Lawler was text book, which kinda disappoints me as Lawler has recently become one of my favorite fighters. Young, talented, hungry, and not afraid to bang and go for the KO. Joe Riggs just completely dominated Baroni. The only fight that was kind of a bore to me was the Randleman fight which I had high hopes for. Still, Whitehead owned him all three rounds. All in all, an EXCELLENT CARD by Showtime and Strikeforce. Looking forward to Rogers and Overeem and Carano vs. Cyborg.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #387
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Damn too bad Faber broke his hand in the first round, great fight! I thought Jogenson should have won his fight. Great night of fighting!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #388
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Damn too bad Faber broke his hand in the first round, great fight! I thought Jogenson should have won his fight. Great night of fighting!
Faber is one tough dude to keep fighting with this: OUCH!!

WEC 41 AWARDS AND BONUSES
(All awards include a $10,000 bonus for each fighter.)

WEC 41 Fight of the Night
Mike Brown and Urijah Faber

WEC 41 Knockout of the Night
Jose Aldo

WEC 41 Submission of the Night
Seth Dikun

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 06-08-2009 at 10:12 AM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #389
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

The Strikeforce card was pretty good. I'm not the biggest AA fan but I was pulling for him for about 12 seconds. Not sure where he's going to go after that loss.

Diaz has been looking good (don't even) in his past several fights. Smith wasn't being very elusive, but not Diaz's fualt, and picked him apart. He just has one of those odd striking styles that are harder to deal with compared to a straight boxer/mma striker. Hope to see him going for the belt very soon.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #390
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

If Diaz is going for any belt, it will have to be against Lawler for his MW belt. Diaz and Jake Shields are good friends and training partners and have already publicly stated that they won't fight each other. Diaz vs. Lawler could be a war though. Only problem them is Lawler cuts a good amount of weight to fight at 85, and Diaz walks around at 85. Regardless, I think it'd be a great fight.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #391
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

MMA News:

Exiled former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia reveals that future plans for getting back into the UFC include getting a couple of fights and wins under his belt, but would scrap that idea for a shot at current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

"I want to fight a couple of times and get some wins, get some momentum again but if the UFC called and said 'We want you to fight Brock in three months', I would do it," Sylvia told Fighters Only. "I think Randy (Couture) was kicking his ass and then Brock caught him with that big overhand right. I thought Randy was manhandling him in the first round and I thought the second round was going the exact same way, then Brock landed that big shot and... he's a big boy. When he hits you it is going to hurt. Plus you know, he had fifty or sixty pounds on Randy."

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news...ht-Lesnar.html

Sorry, but he is and never was that good, imo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carano - Cyborg Winner to be Named First Female Champ

It’s been three months since StrikeForce acquired ProElite’s assets, however it wasn’t until this past Saturday at Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields that the San Jose-based organization announced that have come to terms with female superstar, Gina Carano.
“We look forward to having Gina back, and I think that Showtime and CBS did a fantastic job of teeing up this fight so that it’s a relevant fight in the sport,” Coker stated of their latest signing.

Before ProElite’s demise, EliteXC had tentatively scheduled the highly anticipated Carano vs. Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos bout for this past November, however due to their financial woes, they were forced to scrap the show.

Now that Coker officially has full access to both female sensations, he fully intends to pick up where EliteXC left off, as he will throw Carano immediately into the cage against Cyborg to headline their August 15 promotion.

http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/20...er/index.shtml

WAR Carano!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana on Cro-Cop's 1 fight deal "I've never done this before"

When Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic returns from a nearly two-year break from the organization and fights at UFC 99, he'll do so under an unprecedented one-fight deal.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the unusual arrangement during a recent media call with the Filipovic (24-6-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC), who takes on Mustapha Al-Turk (6-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) in a UFC 99 televised main-card bout.

"In this history of the company, I've never done this with anybody ever," White said of the deal. "I've never done that ever in nine years of being in this business."

White, currently in Germany for Saturday's pay-per-view event at Cologne's Lanxess Arena, said Filipovic's return resulted from a simple call the fighter made to him.

"When Mirko and I talked on the phone, the day that he said that he wanted to come back, let me tell you he was all fired up and basically saying, 'Listen, I got my surgery, I've been training, I want this, I want to come back, I want to win that title, and I want to take a run at it,'" said White, who estimated the deal was reached in just three days' time.

Filipovic, a longtime PRIDE fighter perhaps best known for winning the organization's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix, entered the UFC in 2007, when he was still ranked as one of the world's very top heavyweights. However, after a win over Eddie Sanchez in his UFC debut, the Croatian fighter suffered back-to-back losses to Gabriel Gonzaga (via stunning head-kick KO) and Cheick Kongo.

The UFC and the 34-year-old fighter split ways soon after, though both sides said it was a temporary split and that the ultimate goal was for "Cro Cop" to return to the UFC. Filipovic has since competed three times for DREAM, going 2-0 (with a no-contest with Alistair Overeem). Filipovic said he wanted to return to the UFC, where he knows he failed to live up to expectations, especially with the UFC heading to Europe for Germany's first-ever UFC card.

"I owe a lot to the UFC and to the UFC fans," he said. "I owe a lot. ... (The) UFC was the black spot in my career and in my life, and I'm the man who dedicates his life to fighting, and I just want ... to justify the (trust) Dana White gave me two years ago and calling me to UFC after I went from PRIDE."

Filipovic repeatedly tried to dodge questions about his health during his first UFC stint. He began to discuss some injuries but cut himself short and said he didn't want to make any excuses. However, he said he's entering Saturday's bout fully healthy following recent knee surgery, in good spirits and with a sound mind. White said any decisions about his future in the organization after UFC 99 will be made after the show is over.

"I just want to return – to return to the top, and I just want to prove everyone that they were wrong," Filipovic said. "They were wrong. I just hope that God will give me the strength that I can prove my worth. I don't like to talk too much now on the phone about it because I have to prove my worth in the cage.

"And that's exactly what I'm going to do."

Now that Dana has done what he said he would never do, sign a fighter to a one fight deal, I think this paves the way to get Fedor in the door!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrei Arlovski realizes Boxing doesnt translate well to MMA

Great article here: http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/6/...ealizes-boxing

"Whatever it was Arlovski has learned the error of his ways. He posted this comment on his official website,

I focused too much on boxing and not enough on the wrestling and jiu-jitsu. It wasn't right. It's another thing I have to think about. MMA is not boxing. I have to change something. I don't understand this question about my chin. When you open your face for four or five punches it doesn't matter your chin, you will get KOed. Rogers was great, he did what he did. I took the fight and I got my ass kicked, it's that simple. It's embarrassing, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I have to move on. I'm definitely going to come back.

For the fledgling boxer the knockout loss to Rogers was even worse now that it has prevented him from making his debut on June 27th."
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #392
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

I was never big on Arlovski until the Fedor fight, and then he really started to grow on me. I mean yeah, he lost that one too, but he was fighting well. Really hard to see him get blasted so quickly by a guy I'd never heard of (Rogers)...Here's hoping he makes a comeback.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #393
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

UFC 99 - This card should blow the doors off the building. No titles here but it would be shocking if any of these fights lacked excitement and made it to a decision.

Rich Franklin Vs. Wanderlei Silva
Cheick Kongo Vs. Cain Velasquez
Mike Swick Vs. Ben Saunders
Marcus Davis Vs. Dan Hardy
Spencer Fisher Vs. Caol Uno
Mirko Cro Cop Vs. Mostapha Al Turk
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #394
TriStar
Smokes, let's go.

Trading: (1)
TriStar is on a distinguished road

I'm especially looking forward to the Davis vs Hardy fight. I love a good grudge match and with all the hate these two guys have for each other - I hope it's a war.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #395
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

I want to see Cro Cop pull someone's heart out and show it to them....LOL
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #396
Tw3nty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Faber is one tough dude to keep fighting with this: OUCH!!

WEC 41 AWARDS AND BONUSES
(All awards include a $10,000 bonus for each fighter.)

WEC 41 Fight of the Night
Mike Brown and Urijah Faber

WEC 41 Knockout of the Night
Jose Aldo

WEC 41 Submission of the Night
Seth Dikun
That x-ray is crazy. I cant believe he fought as many rounds as he did with that break. He is a stud.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #397
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
I want to see Cro Cop pull someone's heart out and show it to them....LOL

Flawless Victory!

LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #398
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Flawless Victory!

Post fight interview with Joe Rogan would be pretty bizarre...
Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #399
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road

I hope CroCop has his head on straight this time around. I just rewatched his open weight grand prix fights against Wandy and Barnett and they were awesome. Kind of hard to believe he took out those two in the same night. I especially liked the body kicks to Barnett, wicked!
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #400
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
UFC 99 - This card should blow the doors off the building. No titles here but it would be shocking if any of these fights lacked excitement and made it to a decision.
Agreed. This is a great card. I agree with your picks too, Ken. Except I think Swick will take Saunders.

Rich Franklin Vs. Wanderlei Silva
Cheick Kongo Vs. Cain Velasquez (tough one)
Mike Swick Vs. Ben Saunders
Marcus Davis Vs. Dan Hardy
Spencer Fisher Vs. Caol Uno
Mirko Cro Cop Vs. Mostapha Al Turk