Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough
Default Retrohaling

I had smoked cigarettes for 15+ years so retrohaling has never been a problem for me. However I discovered a different kind of retrohaling on accident. What I've been doing for the last month is, I take a good hit off of the cigar, then "compress" it in mouth with my tongue and cheeks, swirl it around etc. and instead of retrohaling ~50% previously before it got uncomfortable, I can exhale almost 90% through my nose.

Not only does it take the edge off this way, but also the subtle flavors become more dominant for me. I've since revisited cigars I've previously had and noticed flavors I had missed out on.

Surely this technique is known to most of you and it has a particular name, however since I'm still a noob I figured I'd share; maybe someone can take something away from it.
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Retrohaling

I'm just glad we're not calling it...that other name anymore.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Are you talking about letting the smoke cool before shooting it through your nose? Or something else? I have a tough time retrohaling even when I swish the smoke around and only retrohale a little of it, sensitive sinuses I suppose.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

The nose exhale never worked for me. Instead, I let the smoke sort of drift into my nostrils as I exhale slowly through my mouth. I get all the nuanced flavored and what not, without any harshness. I recommend trying it.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

It's quite possible that it has something to do with cooling the smoke down.

Sitting here herfing with Francis I just told him about this and even he was surprised.
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
I'm just glad we're not calling it...that other name anymore.
Snorting????
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencefixer View Post
It's quite possible that it has something to do with cooling the smoke down.

Sitting here herfing with Francis I just told him about this and even he was surprised.
My sinuses are pretty sensitive and I typically cannot retrohale hardly any of the last 1/3, maybe even 1/2 of a cigar. Cooling the smoke is part of the equation, but I found that there was something else at work as well.

I found that even on the last 1/4 of the cigar, if I created a pocket of pressure in my mouth while swirling the smoke slightly (only for ~1 second) and then exhaled through my nose, I could send it all through my nose with no irritation.

BUT at the same time, I found that my MOUTH was left with a slightly biting, almost bitter flavor. It seemed that most of the harsh or biting characteristics of the smoke were deposited on the inside gums of my mouth when compressed and forced against the gum walls.

All in all, I'll be experimenting with it more to hunt for flavors - I wouldn't do it with every puff, but occasionally I think might prove useful in searching for flavors I otherwise could not have picked up due to my sensitive sinuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The nose exhale never worked for me. Instead, I let the smoke sort of drift into my nostrils as I exhale slowly through my mouth. I get all the nuanced flavored and what not, without any harshness. I recommend trying it.
I've been known to do this inside, thrusting my head forward just a little to pull back in some of the exhaled smoke, I get excellent flavors this way.... but it doesn't work well for me outside, or even inside with a good fan pulling it up and out too fast.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Snorting????
Snorking. Been doing it for years, as have most of the CC smokers I know.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Snorking. Been doing it for years, as have most of the CC smokers I know.
Its hardly worth smoking a Cuban cigar without exhaling through the nose. Cant even imagine some of the cigars we smoked last weekend without the benefit of snorking.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Its hardly worth smoking a Cuban cigar without exhaling through the nose. Cant even imagine some of the cigars we smoked last weekend without the benefit of snorking.
We was a couple of snorkin' fools, weren't we?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Ya!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote