Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's a good laptop brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The way I read slim's post is that he's providing some reasons to not buy Apple notebooks.

No different than pasting an article or report about any other brand really.
I'm sure the op knows how to research the pros and cons of pc and mac laptops online. I'd guess the intent of the thread was to get some feedback from members from their actual experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemic View Post
The blog touched on four points, irrespective of whether it's valid or not...
Again, this information is freely available online.

slimboli was merely quoting some irrelevant opinion rather than giving a personal recommendation from actual experience—a fairly common occurrence whenever an apple product is mentioned but still tiresome imo...
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
I'm sure the op knows how to research the pros and cons of pc and mac laptops online. I'd guess the intent of the thread was to get some feedback from members from their actual experience.

The OP asked for suggestions, I see nothing about requesting those suggestions be based solely upon personal experience.

slimboli was merely quoting some irrelevant opinion rather than giving a personal recommendation from actual experience—a fairly common occurrence whenever an apple product is mentioned but still tiresome imo...
How is slimboli's opinion any more irrelevant than your contributions to this thread?

As totemic summarized the choice comes down to a few basic things.

1. cost.
2. productivity.
3. standards.
4. product longevity.

What if the OP wants to play games? Perhaps the new Elder Scrolls? A Mac would make a nice paperweight in this case.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Bob-I tend to agree with David. At least with respect to slimboli's post. Shall we post every laptop review we can find from cnet and the like? I read that post, too, as an opportunity to bash Apple. Unless stated otherwise, I think when opinions are solicited, there is an implied request from personal experience. Posts like slimboli's are no more valuable than when a person asks about a particular cigar and someone replies, "I've never had one but I hear they are good."
My and worth as much.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I just keep buying Dell stuff at delloutlet.com. You can't beat the prices on refurbs and scratch and dents and they're as good a machine as any.
The only reason I'd suggest away from an Apple is the learning curve of a new OS and that they are INCREDIBLY overpriced. I bought one for my daughter last Fall cause she wanted to get some grind time on OSX and I was not at all impressed with the build quality of the machine compared to it's ridiculous price.
I'm a big-time Apple fanboi, so it pains me about their laptops.

I just bout Lisa a Dell Mini at delloutlet last month and she loves it. She hauls it around in her purse for work. I paid right around $250 for it. She bluetooths it up to her iphone hotspot and can work anywhere. I think it's as cool a little machine as they come.
If you loved your mini, go get a new one. I'd suggest purple. Or you can get a macbook air for 5 times the price in white.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
What if the OP wants to play games? Perhaps the new Elder Scrolls? A Mac would make a nice paperweight in this case.
I doubt he was doing a whole lot of fragging on a Dell Mini, Bob.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #26
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post

There is another possibility, and that is that maybe Slim happens to share those same opinions and experiences and quoted the passage for personal reasons rather than writing them out in his own words.

Granted, if such is the situation, then it really should have been prefaced with an explanation of why it was pasted.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #27
Resipsa

I've never heard of the mac brand of laptop

Is Mac a new computer manufacturer?

Cost wise, ASUS makes a very competitive machine at a reasonable price.

Laptops are a dying technology anyway, so the pc/apple debate is kind of moot anyway.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #28
BnBTobacco

Thank you very much everyone! I had my Dell for 3 years. Of course, I could just read reviews but as we know, sites can just give us paid reviews that is why I really have to ask for opinions based on first-hand experiences. Lenovo is IBM. I have trusted the brand for years but the batteries are not so good.

Perhaps I'll get a Mac. But does it heat up much?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

No more than anything else.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #30
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnBTobacco View Post
Lenovo is IBM. I have trusted the brand for years but the batteries are not so good. Perhaps I'll get a Mac. But does it heat up much?

You are wrong on that one. Lenovo batteries and ThinkPads (X & T series) are among the coolest batteries and operating temperatures for laptops in the industry. Battery life is as good as anyone manufacturer you can name. I use several different ThinkPad models a year and they are all very quiet and like "ice".

Apple does a nice job with quiet and cool laptops, but that comes at price tag and it's still a Mac. Dollar for dollar, Mac will never beat out Lenovo for desktop replacment laptops.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
BnBTobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
You are wrong on that one. Lenovo batteries and ThinkPads (X & T series) are among the coolest batteries and operating temperatures for laptops in the industry. Battery life is as good as anyone manufacturer you can name. I use several different ThinkPad models a year and they are all very quiet and like "ice".

Apple does a nice job with quiet and cool laptops, but that comes at price tag and it's still a Mac. Dollar for dollar, Mac will never beat out Lenovo for desktop replacment laptops.
I agree with you. My first laptop was an IBM though. I really wanted one not until my sister's battery didn't work. She had hers for over a year. My mind changed then or probably her case was rare.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #32
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

There was a time about 6-7 years ago when a few brands were having major issues with batteries overheating and IBM was one of several. Could you be thinking of back then?

I am amazed how quiet and cool my X220 and Elys' T420i are.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #33
BnBTobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
There was a time about 6-7 years ago when a few brands were having major issues with batteries overheating and IBM was one of several. Could you be thinking of back then?

I am amazed how quiet and cool my X220 and Elys' T420i are.
That happened only this year. I will be purchasing today and see how it goes.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #34
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

+1 for a Macbook. Mine is 5 years old this year. Going strong with never a single problem. They are spendy, but worth it IMHO.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #35
BnBTobacco

Thanks for the guidance guys! Here's what I got the 2 days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0120.jpg (82.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #36
BnBTobacco