Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Sacmore21

Default Meerschaum

Where is the best place to purchase a Meerschaum pipe online. More specifically, who has them under $30?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation
Default Re: Meerschaum

This site has been good to me:

http://www.aaameerschaum.com/
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Sacmore21

Thanks, Mike! I had seen that site before, but I didn't know how legit it was. On a side note, do you, or anybody for that matter, know how big a size difference it is between the small and medium pipes? It seems like I can get a couple of the discount smalls for a similar price to the mediums. However, I don't want it to last for 10 minutes either.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Let me see if IKMeerschaum will join us over here... He is an excellent resource on these matters.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Hydrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacmore21 View Post
...do you, or anybody for that matter, know how big a size difference it is between the small and medium pipes?
Their small pipes are going to prolly be what most of us Americans will consider really small. Many smokers use the small ones for strong tobacco or for shorter smokes. The mediums are normally where folks begin to consider them "normal" sized.

I personally like smaller pipes, especially for smoking stronger flake tobaccos. I couldn't imagine smoking a big ol' bowl of 1792 or Bracken Flake!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
IKMeerschaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Let me see if IKMeerschaum will join us over here... He is an excellent resource on these matters.
Thanks for the kind words and the invite to join you folks over here.

Obviously as an importer and reseller ourselves, I'd strongly recommend buying from the Tobacco Barn.

Small (also known as mini-pipes) and medium pipes can differ in size fairly significantly.

Small or mini pipes are generally used for "sidewalk smokes" or break pipes. Most people will get between 5 and 15 minutes per bowl depending upon their smoking style. We sell a lot of these to stores that cater to different leafy products as well.

The Medium pipes are probably between 1/2 and 3/4 the size of a regular pipe. They are usually good for 30 minute smokes (your mileage may vary of course) and are a good, inexpensive entry point into the world of meerschaum. They generally will come with a custom-fitted case to protect them and they use REAL sized stems (as opposed to the mini or small pipes which, as you can see from the image above) use a clear-plastic stem that is significantly smaller than those used on pipes that are medium and above.

I hope that answers your questions, or at least gives you some food for thought. If you have any other questions, now that I've got an account here, feel free to post in this forum, or probably better yet, PM me and I'll reply as quickl and as best I can.

MJG
-----------
http://www.meerschaumpipes.com/
Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

I used www.tobaccobarn.com for mine

Nice pipe, it's the only one I still have after my "giving up the hobby" earlier this year.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
petewho

I've been thinking about getting a small meerschaum for tasting new blends. This might be the ticket!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Sacmore21

Thanks to all who replied. I was finally able to pickup one on ebay that was unused for under $17 shipped. I haven't had many opportunities to smoke it yet as the weather has cooled. However, when I did smoke it, it tasted great and seemed to allow for a lot of flavor nuances that I might not have noticed before. Any other thoughts on what I should expect from my new Meerschaum pipe?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
IKMeerschaum

One thing that we see regularly is that you should ensure that your pipe is cool before disassembling for cleaning and that when pulling off the stem that you hold it by the shank in one hand as close to the stem as possible and the other hand on the stem.

All to often we see broken pipes because people hold the bowl in one hand and the stem in another and crack their pipes between the shank and the bowl.

Enjoy your pipe and remember, don't let it build up a cake 'cause you don' need one like in a briar!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Im looking for a pipe also, for a friend. What dimensions should I be looking for to provide him with a 45-60 minute smoke?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
IKMeerschaum

Depending upon how quickly he smokes (does he "drive" with his foot to the floor?), I would think that a regular sized-pipe would be best. If he is a slow puffer, a medium might get there but most smokers will get about 30 minutes out of a medium pipe.

Most of the regular pipes will be about 5 1/2" long by 2" wide (very similar to a standard briar pipe) whereas mediums will be about 5" long or less and 1.5" wide.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKMeerschaum View Post
Depending upon how quickly he smokes (does he "drive" with his foot to the floor?), I would think that a regular sized-pipe would be best. If he is a slow puffer, a medium might get there but most smokers will get about 30 minutes out of a medium pipe.

Most of the regular pipes will be about 5 1/2" long by 2" wide (very similar to a standard briar pipe) whereas mediums will be about 5" long or less and 1.5" wide.
thanks for the info.

how much does depth factor in to the size?

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
IKMeerschaum

Depth of the bowl is usually proportional to the size of the pipe. For example, our average depth on a regular pipe is about 1 3/4" deep while a medium pipe is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" deep. The bore on both pipes is very similar.

Of course, since these are all hand-made pipes, the dimensions are averages since even the same style pipe in the same size will all be a little bit different.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #15
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKMeerschaum View Post
Depth of the bowl is usually proportional to the size of the pipe. For example, our average depth on a regular pipe is about 1 3/4" deep while a medium pipe is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" deep. The bore on both pipes is very similar.

Of course, since these are all hand-made pipes, the dimensions are averages since even the same style pipe in the same size will all be a little bit different.
That makes a ton of sense, the thing is, some of the pipes ive seen on a different site have similar H and W, but only a 1 inch depth? what gives- poor design?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
IKMeerschaum

Hard to say. The carvers seem to be quite good at squeezing the most out of the stone they have available and as such, might from time to time, create some pretty short (in depth) pipes or, conversely, some short in length but condiderable in depth pipes based on the stone.

Bottom line though is if it doesn't look right to you, you'll not be happy with it. It is more important to select a pipe that you LIKE than to settle for one because that is what is available. Know what I mean? You want to like it enough that you'll smoke it regularly, not resent; thereby relegating it to collecting dust instead of collecting color.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

As I said, this is for a buddy. I know he only has a briar right now. I guess I'll look on tobacco-barn for something for him.

Thanks for the info. Reputation given!