Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Me Create The Ultimate Humidor.

Whenever I decide to build or concept something, I always go look at lots of pictures or visit like items in person. I've seen, built, fixed, and fawned over about a gazillion different humidors.
My idea of the most awesome humidor ever lies somewhere around the Siglo XXI.
There are a number of other cuban self-standing humidors that are also pretty awesome. I don't necessarily care for a stand-alone option. A big desktop cabinet would be more of my taste.

Point being this...
I grab parts and pieces from all different directions, then morph them into something that really turns me on.
I want to know what humidors you think are just exceptional and incredible. Maybe you think it's the best ever. Or maybe there's a part of it that you find ingenious and think should be in every humidor, or would be nice if it was.

Ultimately I just want your thoughts on the subject and I'd like to see pics or links of what you like. I'll look at the stuff and file it in my little brain. It's not going to be long before I have to build a totally awesome humidor just to get it out of my system. I'll bet a lot of your input will end up in that thing.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help Me Create The Ultimate Humidor.

Build it and fill it in my house?

Cool idea Scott!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Scott, some of the stuff here is amazing:
http://www.humidorsofhavana.com/
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
Scott, some of the stuff here is amazing:
http://www.humidorsofhavana.com/
Which one do you like, Jeff?
That's what I'm after, I want to know what you guys like. See, my eye drags me in one direction. Therefore I don't get exposed to anything that doesn't immediately catch my eye. If I can get pointed to stuff you guys like, I'll get exposed to things I'd never see.

You were right, that Jose has made a few incredible pieces. I wish there was more on his site!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I have always liked this tower. Love the drawer pulls mostly.

I always wanted one of these vaults too:

Im thinking some kind of smaller version, I like the idea of drawers.
Something that would look like some kind of antique labratory storage or apothecary.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 12-13-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I love the vault, Shane. All of them are awesome. The repurposing of an old lab storage box, or creating one like it is cool, too.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I've always been skeptical how well these drawer style humidors hold humidity compared to a traditional humidor with a lid or door...I can't really tell, but it looks like there's space for air to escape. But what the heck do I know, I have nowhere near the amount of cigars needed to even come close to filling one of these bad boys!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

You looking for a singles humidor, one that can hold boxes, or a combo? That makes a big difference...
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

This is kinda cool:

This VR one is awesome too!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
You looking for a singles humidor, one that can hold boxes, or a combo? That makes a big difference...
Whatever you like, brother.

Shane, That VR humi has been in my pics on my phone forever.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Whatever you like, brother.

Shane, That VR humi has been in my pics on my phone forever.
Yah that thing is awesome!
Would be cool to do something like that with Monograms!

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 12-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

I saw this humidor a couple weeks ago in Robaina's house... pictures don't do it justice as it looked amazing in person. Sadly I didn't see the inside of the humi... didn't want to press my luck! LOL

[IMG][/IMG]

Wide view of room:

[IMG][/IMG]
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I bet there were some nice treats inside! That looks like a really sharp piece.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I like the ones that are the opposite of anything I have (coolerdors, etc.) that look like nice furniture. Here's a sideboard that one would think is a piece of furniture rather than my stash of smokes.

Or maybe an unsuspecting furniture piece in the corner or next to the couch.

I also think something like an entertainment center with the drawers and cabinets being a big multi-purpose humidor would be neat. Something like this:

As far as a cool factor and I know you've looked at some types like this in the past, Scott, but these fold out/away types are cool.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

That bottom fold-out one would be super easy to make, Jamie.
I can see how they latch the sides, but not the front. It relies on fitment to seal and it'd be sheer hell to keep it humidified even with super close tolerances. I wonder where a guy would put some sort of humidification?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
That bottom fold-out one would be super easy to make, Jamie.
I can see how they latch the sides, but not the front. It relies on fitment to seal and it'd be sheer hell to keep it humidified even with super close tolerances. I wonder where a guy would put some sort of humidification?
I would imagine something like that should be kept inside of a walk in.

Someday when I have a nice large cabinet, it would be nice to have an insert to store rare or vintage stuff.
Maybe a shelf that has a bunch of angled slots to store cigars in tubes? Not sure if my quick little post-it makes sense:

I think it would sure look nice and fancy though. Maybe add some carved wood elements too.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 12-14-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

That bottom carved one you posted, Shane, I have all those flourishes. I don't have the tulips, though. I have scads of 3d models that guys have shared with me for helping them out. They cost like 10-20 bucks each, it's crazy. It would literally cost a couple hundred bucks just to buy the v3m files to make that box.
Granted, once you've bought them you can use them forever, but it hurts to pay 20 bucks for a 3d flower.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
That bottom carved one you posted, Shane, I have all those flourishes. I don't have the tulips, though. I have scads of 3d models that guys have shared with me for helping them out. They cost like 10-20 bucks each, it's crazy. It would literally cost a couple hundred bucks just to buy the v3m files to make that box.
Granted, once you've bought them you can use them forever, but it hurts to pay 20 bucks for a 3d flower.
Yah that is kind of crazy. I could always draw some cool design or flourish but it wouldn't be in 3D obviously.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Maybe a shelf that has a bunch of angled slots to store cigars in tubes? Not sure if my quick little post-it makes sense:
makes perfect sense Shane, at least to me. Really neat idea, be cool to do that with one of those 75ct glass towers I think