Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #41
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hunting rifle suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
People run dogs on deer? I nevah hoid of such a thing.
We do it in VA. Makes it more interesting that's for sure.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #42
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscales View Post
Try about $70 for 20 rounds now. YOu have to shot the non-lead crap now. .300 Win is way to much for deer hunting. you destroy to much meat on Cali deer. If you were hunting moose or elk then yes, but not for CA deer.
Trust Cali to ruin something good

I did hunt elk once in upstate NY. Boooring!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #43
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

You'll shoot your eye out!
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #44
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I own a .270 Win and its a beast for anything in Florida. I also have a 30-30 thats been great to me. I would go with a .308 or .30-06 for killing everything in North America. The .30-06 is a beast, readily available, and MANY different loads!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #45
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I mainly use a Rem 30-06 if I'm shooting moderate distances. Most places I hunt do not have shots over 150 yards, sometimes 200 yards, so I'm not really worried about trajectory. If I know I'm hunting in close, I have a Marlin lever action 30-30 that I paid $75 for 20 years ago, including the Redfield 4x9 scope. It has all the knock-down power I've ever needed on short shots. Never had a deer that I shot with it move from the spot. And, considering my investment, it's hard to argue with a $75 rifle that has dropped every deer I've shot with it! Only places I've ever considered a chotgun and buckshot was so dense that I'd never get a deer out if I shot it, so I've avoided those spots. Ninja prefers his Rem .270 for the deer, but also likes the old Marlin 30-30.

HOWEVER, please keep in mind my hunting preferences. I like to eat deer meat. Thus, I prefer does over bucks for the better meat quality. So, I'm usually shooting smaller deer than those after trophy buck. For larger deer, at longer distances, the 30-30 will require a much more precise shot placement to drop the bigger deer. In addition to liking the doe meat better, Alabama has a severe overpopulation of female deer, because not enough hunters are willing to shoot the does. They only want the trophy buck. To combat this, and try and re-balance the deer population, the state wildlife regulations have changed dramatically over the last five years to limit the bucks taken to only 3 per season, but you can take 2 doe per day all season long. Still not working because most hunters here are looking for a wall mount, not a freezer of meat (what the heck, gives me more chances to put meat in the freezer, jerky in the dehydrator, sausage through the smoker!!!)

Good luck. Don't rule out a good used gun. But, have it checked out before you buy it by a gunsmith you trust! Both my Marlin and the Rem 30-06 were used. I waited until after the season was out, and fishing was kicking in. That's the time to keep an eye out for last season's guns to be on the market!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #46
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

I'd recommend that you get no where near a gun.

But seriously.....no where near a gun!
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #47
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
HOWEVER, please keep in mind my hunting preferences. I like to eat deer meat. Thus, I prefer does over bucks for the better meat quality. So, I'm usually shooting smaller deer than those after trophy buck. you can take 2 doe per day all season long. Still not working because most hunters here are looking for a wall mount, not a freezer of meat (what the heck, gives me more chances to put meat in the freezer, jerky in the dehydrator, sausage through the smoker!!!)
I gots me a man-crush on ya now, Cliff!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #48
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I gots me a man-crush on ya now, Cliff!

Back at ya, Pete!