Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #61
mariogolbee

Default Re: The new Dominos Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
But how long did it take you to find the coke there?
Did you even manage to find it?

Still couldn't find the damned Coke! West Coast didn't have any Mexican Coke the last time I was in by the way. Perhaps my sickness is spreading. (Jerk.)
Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #62
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Extra Large Peperoni with Banana Peppers is our default order. I can see Dominos from my house and the independent pizza makers in MA just suck.

The only pizza redemption in MA, is in S.E. MA and Cape where everyone has Linguica as a topping!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #63
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I'd like to add, I miss little caesars.
Was assistant mgr at Little Caesars back in the day. They used to have okay pizza when they had the square Pizza Pizza (buy one get one free) to compete with Domino's 30 mins or less campaign. Sometime in the 90's they stopped the free pizza pizza thing and changed their entire pizza to a cheaper round version.

Around here, we still have a few but they have been reduced to walk in stores with pre-made pizzas for 5 bucks a piece.

HORRIBLE STUFF!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #64
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Yeah, the pre-made pizza's aren't very good, but I can stomach them. I mean $5 is a good deal.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #65
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Bottom line, there are no rules. Just success and failure. I think this will be a success.
I don't mind saying that it looks like I was right. I said, sure this is a stupid concept, but there are stupid concepts and stupid concepts that work. Up 40% in sales last I checked (month or so back) and heading straight up? But then again, I am in advertising.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #66
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredegar View Post
Plus the ones we had were very greasy.
Haha, dude if your pizza had contained fat free pepperoni, sausage and bacon you would have complained that it tasted like $hit. Grease is a by product of broiled meats,
Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #67
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The crust is as they advertised both buttery and garlicy. Probably from chemicals.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #68
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

To compete with the numerous pizzerias close to where I live, I started construction of my own outdoor WFO (wood fired brick pizza oven) out in the patio.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #69
OLS
Suck It

That'll show em.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #70
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Happened to be on the far side of town where the only Domino's in the area is located, and happened to have a coupon for a $6.99 large 1-topping pizza with me, so I ducked in and picked up a thin crust, half pepperoni, half-extra cheese.

Not bad for what it is - although I did screw up, I meant to order a Brooklyn crust, not a thin crust. Oh well, less carbs for my fat azz this way.

For the regular price of $12.99, I would not have bought it, too many good local places to choose from (Steve's, Woodstock, etc.) where I can get really, really good pizza for about that much or a bit more, but for $6.99, I don't regret it, and I'll probably be back again next time I have a good coupon because I really wanted to try the NY crust... LOL.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #71
itzfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Happened to be on the far side of town where the only Domino's in the area is located, and happened to have a coupon for a $6.99 large 1-topping pizza with me, so I ducked in and picked up a thin crust, half pepperoni, half-extra cheese.

Not bad for what it is - although I did screw up, I meant to order a Brooklyn crust, not a thin crust. Oh well, less carbs for my fat azz this way.

For the regular price of $12.99, I would not have bought it, too many good local places to choose from (Steve's, Woodstock, etc.) where I can get really, really good pizza for about that much or a bit more, but for $6.99, I don't regret it, and I'll probably be back again next time I have a good coupon because I really wanted to try the NY crust... LOL.

Hmm... Steve's Pizza? You wouldn't happen to be from Miami would you? There's a Steve's Pizza here that has basically become a Cultural Icon down here.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #72
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I will always look for a local before ordering from a chain. I would rather keep the money local and the quality is usually better.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #73
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfrank View Post
Hmm... Steve's Pizza? You wouldn't happen to be from Miami would you? There's a Steve's Pizza here that has basically become a Cultural Icon down here.
Nope, and I'm fairly certain it's a different "Steve".

http://www.stevespizza.com/
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #74
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
I am not sure the commercial qualifies as bad marketing. You would be surprised what passes
for "rules" in advertising. Bottom line, there are no rules. Just success and failure. I think this will be a success.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/How-Do...08535.html?x=0

All this may be surprising for a company whose product has been regarded by many consumers as not all that indistinguishable
from the cardboard box in which it arrived. Confronted with evidence that customers too frequently found its product to be subpar,
Domino's didn't try to spin, or change the subject, or make subtle adjustments. Rather, in a calculated and risky strategy, the company
embarked on a campaign to confront the image head-on. It's rare for large publicly held companies to craft advertising and marketing
plans that come across like Maoist self-criticism. But that's what Domino's did.

HA, told ya. I know the advertising business.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #75
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I used to love Domino's, but since they changed, I can't even choke it down. The crust is gooey and pasty and the sauce is sickly sweet and they STILL don't have anchovies.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #76
xlc12rf
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
xlc12rf is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised how many people order form chains. I NEVER get pizza from there. Though I have the privilege of ordering form Pepe's. Mmmm real wooster st. apizza.
xlc12rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #77
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Extra Large Peperoni with Banana Peppers is our default order. I can see Dominos from my house and the independent pizza makers in MA just suck.

The only pizza redemption in MA, is in S.E. MA and Cape where everyone has Linguica as a topping!
I don't know, the Mom & Pop in my neighborhood rocks, but the best I've ever had is from Bertucci's.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #78
OLS
Suck It

GUYS!! You misunderstood. This is not about pizza....it's about me being RIGHT!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #79
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I used to love Domino's, but since they changed, I can't even choke it down. The crust is gooey and pasty and the sauce is sickly sweet and they STILL don't have anchovies.
You are definitely in the minority, bro.

http://www.qsrmagazine.com/menu-inno...domino-s-pizza

I think they are finally eatable. Not great but doable. Before, they were nothing but cardboard, tomato paste and petroleum based cheese.

People order from chains because it's cheaper. That, and there may be no good independent shops in their area. There has never been a good shop where I live until a few years ago when a couple Paisans moved here and started an amazing authentic NY pizza joint.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #80
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
GUYS!! You misunderstood. This is not about pizza....it's about me being RIGHT!
Try not to strain your arm patting yourself on the back, Brad.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote