making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Wes!

Where have you been hiding lately brother?

Say Hi to Cat and Zach for me.
hello my friend!

life has been keeping me pretty busy lately. havent really had a chance to park my ass in front of the computer in some time. hope all is well with you bro, and i will tell them hello for you.

... dam i need to smoke some meat!
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #1842
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Scheduled to die tomorrow night :

1 each Ribs, Pork, Baby Back, rack
1 each Ribs, Beef, rack, small
12 each Wings, Chicken, Miss Goldy

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #1843
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Looks killer Wayne and yep, Yardbird is the bomb. We made a bunch of money using it in comps for a while!!!
Is it good enough to spend $40 for a 5# bag of the yardbird?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #1844
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Is it good enough to spend $40 for a 5# bag of the yardbird?
That is how I buy it. I used to buy it straight from Todd, the guy that makes it, but after a while he told me to use http://www.bbqaddicts.com/rubs-sauces/plowboys-rub/

They have a two shaker deal where you can try Yardbird and Bovine Bold. I don't use as much Bovine Bold because I use the Yardbird on so many things, but for a beef rub I absolutely love it as well.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #1845
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Finished off and smoked two cured bacons yesterday, a savory Garlic/Pepper/Juniper/Sage, and a simple brown sugar.
Also made sausage for the first time, garlic and red wine. I think I overstuffed the collagen cases a bit, but the taster I fried up last night was a hell of a flavor bomb.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #1846
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
That is how I buy it. I used to buy it straight from Todd, the guy that makes it, but after a while he told me to use http://www.bbqaddicts.com/rubs-sauces/plowboys-rub/

They have a two shaker deal where you can try Yardbird and Bovine Bold. I don't use as much Bovine Bold because I use the Yardbird on so many things, but for a beef rub I absolutely love it as well.
I've heard great things about the Plowboys stuff so I just bought a shaker of the Yardbird and a shaker of the Jerk seasoning. Been craving some Jerk wings!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #1847
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Finished off and smoked two cured bacons yesterday, a savory Garlic/Pepper/Juniper/Sage, and a simple brown sugar.
Also made sausage for the first time, garlic and red wine. I think I overstuffed the collagen cases a bit, but the taster I fried up last night was a hell of a flavor bomb.
Homemade sausage is the bomb, and it's so frickin' easy to mix up too.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #1848
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Was bored last night - thought a batch of mesquite smoked ABTs might go good with the wine.

They did.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #1849
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

any good tricks to twisting links? I probably over stuffed my collagen casings, and I know that certainly didn't help. I imagine natural casings probably twist better, because they are much thinner? I ended up just tying off the sausages with some butchers twine to keep them in shape.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #1850
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
any good tricks to twisting links? I probably over stuffed my collagen casings, and I know that certainly didn't help. I imagine natural casings probably twist better, because they are much thinner? I ended up just tying off the sausages with some butchers twine to keep them in shape.

I think twisting the casings properly/easily is one of those practice things. I enviously watch how fast and well the butchers do it at the places around here that have handmade sausage, but then I remember that's all some of these guys do all day long, day in and day out.

One of the butchers who makes all the sausages at the co-op market is also a bartender at the brewery, next time I'm in there when he's tending, I could ask him if he has any tips / tricks for working with the casings. I wouldn't mind knowing myself, actually. Especially since I do such a bad job of it, I typically only make bulk (uncased) sausage.

I've never worked with natural casings.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #1851
spizz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
spizz is on a distinguished road

Some nice tips here.
spizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #1852
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Haha, if you've got a few days to read the whole thread.....
Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #1853
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Picked up 2 butts and a brisket at Sam's Club today. I will be using an actual thermometer fo show this time. Planned to fire up tonight, but it's just going to be too cold/rainy for me to do it overnight, so I think I'll be firing it Sunday night.

I picked up a Weber's Kansas City rub at Sam's as well to give it a shot and will use a rub recipe I found on the virtualweber site on the brisket.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #1854
OLS
Suck It

I cooked up a rack of babys and a half-rack of dino bones last night, wanted to give my man Bill86 some ribs.
Once the Daiquiri machine kicked my ass, though, I was NOT a good chef and I think I over-smoked em.
All I know is they were pink to the freaking bone, lol. Bill will have to say if they were good or not. All I know is
I ALMOST forgot to snap em again, I cut the rack in two pieces and thought CRAP, I forgot the pics.
It also may comfort many of you to know that the dino bones are NOT as burnt as they look. This carmelized
fat looks like black coal but it's a light trick. I also added a blurry pic in true color to show how freaking pink
these ribs were, CLEAR to the bone. Amazing. But again, I think i threw a few too many pecan branches
on the coals before I went into he house and forgot about the pit....a LIL too smoky for my picky tastes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribbies preherf.jpg (85.1 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg ribbies 2 preherf.jpg (101.8 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg ribbies 3 preherf.jpg (109.4 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg ribbies 4 preherf.jpg (112.1 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg ribbies 5 preherf.jpg (80.1 KB, 415 views)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #1855
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I came to this thread just so say not only were they good but damn if you couldn't literally eat every piece of meat on the bones. I cleaned those off as soon as I got home.

Not to mention these were meaty as hell. Definitely a full meal out of those. mmmmmmmmm ribs

MUCH thanks Brad!
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #1856
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Gonna be breakin' in my smoker tomorrow with 2 Tri Tips (weighing in at 3lbs and 3.5 lbs each). This will be a first for me so keep your fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I cooked up a rack of babys and a half-rack of dino bones last night, wanted to give my man Bill86 some ribs.
Looks good from this side Brad
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #1857
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Scheduled to die tomorrow night :

1 each Ribs, Pork, Baby Back, rack
1 each Ribs, Beef, rack, small
12 each Wings, Chicken, Miss Goldy

My meat monger is kind enough to dispose of them before I start smoking them.

Quote:
Once the Daiquiri machine kicked my ass, though, I was NOT a good chef and I think I over-smoked em.
All I know is they were pink to the freaking bone, lol. Bill will have to say if they were good or not. All I know is
I ALMOST forgot to snap em again, I cut the rack in two pieces and thought CRAP, I forgot the pics.
It also may comfort many of you to know that the dino bones are NOT as burnt as they look. This carmelized
fat looks like black coal but it's a light trick. I also added a blurry pic in true color to show how freaking pink
these ribs were, CLEAR to the bone. Amazing. But again, I think i threw a few too many pecan branches
on the coals before I went into he house and forgot about the pit....a LIL too smoky for my picky tastes.
Looking good!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #1858
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Looks great Brad. Photos are fine.

How long did you soak those ribs in potassium nitrate to get that lovely color?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #1859
forgop
Not a puffer

I'm quite the smoking noob, but I didn't realize there's such a thing as too much smoke. I could certainly see if you had a particularly strong smoke that it might overpower the food though compared to what I've come to hear about a "lighter" smoke like you might get out of apple or oak I guess.

The first time I set up my WSM, I put down a thin layer of charcoal, put down a few pieces of wood, another thin layer, few more pieces, and put a top layer of charcoal filled by a few more pieces. I then put my chimney of charcoal over the top and then just let the smoking begin as the Minion method got to them.

I feel this way it's getting smoke through the entire process, but it's not a really high ratio of wood/charcoal by any means.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #1860
OLS
Suck It

Hahah, Adam, I just dump em out of the bag, wash em, shake rub on em and cook em.

Thanks, Bill, I thought I would just let em go yesterday, i was worried when I left that
the ribs would be in danger in a car(temps), but it never got over 40-sumpin yesterday,
so I think i just blew that off...plus they were smoked, so they were not gonna go bad.

Duane, I call too much smoke when they smell like doofus ribs, where you can tell people
have the desire to create great food but just drown the ribs in smoke, thick, chokey, white
wood smoke. I like to use a thin vapor of pure, blue smoke coming out of the
chimney. It makes a difference in the aroma of the cold meat. When you get the hang
of your machine and figure out the ins and outs, the do's and don'ts, you will begin to taste
the difference. You will have good cooks and bad cooks, just like everybody does.
A good way to describe too much smoke, when it smells like a house fire and not food.