Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #1441
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

...By the time I finished viewing post #1432, I was stuffed! Some nice looking BBQ everyone...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #1442
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Dear God that just made my mouth water.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #1443
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Turns out my wife got a picture of a leg quarter before it disappeared. I'll post it later
Sorry, I just realized I never put this up...

Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #1444
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I forgot to comment on those phallic phatties. MAN do they look delicious, er, on the inside.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #1445
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Some good lookin' eats guys... I haven't fired up the smoker in so long I may not remember how. My son is living with us for this term in school. He has been begging for some ribs so this weekend it is. I've been dying to make/smoke some sausage to I may throw that in the mix as well.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #1446
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Some good lookin' eats guys... I haven't fired up the smoker in so long I may not remember how. My son is living with us for this term in school. He has been begging for some ribs so this weekend it is. I've been dying to make/smoke some sausage to I may throw that in the mix as well.
I don't buy your coy rhetoric Brent

I'm confident you can still muster up some slap-yo-grandmomma good BBQ
Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #1447
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
I don't buy your coy rhetoric Brent

I'm confident you can still muster up some slap-yo-grandmomma good BBQ
Well, I would hate to disappoint my boy
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #1448
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Kristys kids want some fish and ribs. I know I know odd combo this weekend. I did just see on Diners, Drive ins and Dives a place that did fish ribs maybe kill two birds with 1 stone. Naa we have a good sale on baby backs this weekend and they have some wild salmon on sale as well. I have not smoked salmon before. Do I go with a lighter wood?
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #1449
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Frank lots of purist would say you didn't smoke salmon unless it was with alder. To each his own... I like apple and you should be able to find some of that laying around in NC!!! I always brine the salmon first, but I can't really tell you why. I just always have.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #1450
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I forgot to comment on those phallic phatties. MAN do they look delicious, er, on the inside.

Thanks Brad.

You do realize that it's all your fault, right? You're the guy who got me hooked on making them with your "Super Fattie Contest" challenge thread and I've been trying to perfect them ever since. They do make awesome herf food BTW, so thanks!

Last edited by T.G; 01-19-2011 at 07:22 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #1451
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Frank lots of purist would say you didn't smoke salmon unless it was with alder. To each his own... I like apple and you should be able to find some of that laying around in NC!!! I always brine the salmon first, but I can't really tell you why. I just always have.
I agree, alder, while good, might not be the be-all, end-all, best-of-all wood for everyone's tastes.

I like alder for cheese, but actually prefer a light mesquite for salmon, but am going to try some lemon wood this year once the branches finish drying.

Frank,

Here's a pair of good salmon recipes:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#fish
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #1452
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

Hey guys... I was thinking about buying this:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod1180971

or

http://www.basspro.com/Bradley-Smoke...81946/-1270115

Any comments / info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by tupacboy; 01-20-2011 at 10:37 AM.
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #1453
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Gator,T.G. thanks for the advice. I was thinking Applewood so that's good to know. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #1454
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Both are nice units and do a good job. My brother had the Masterbuilt and loved it. A friend has the Bradley and loves it. The only drawback with the Bradley is you have to use the proprietary "hockey puck" type of smoking wood. They are a bit pricey and not always available in the type of wood you want. Other than that I would say it is a toss up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post

or

Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #1455
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Both are nice units and do a good job. My brother had the Masterbuilt and loved it. A friend has the Bradley and loves it. The only drawback with the Bradley is you have to use the proprietary "hockey puck" type of smoking wood. They are a bit pricey and not always available in the type of wood you want. Other than that I would say it is a toss up.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Jim-Beam-4-rack-Digital-Smoker/5520277/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=2E2D4 FA4-C212-E011-B690-001517384909&mreferralID=NA

cheaper even yet!
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #1456
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:

or

There are a couple brothers here who have electric smokers, they might be more familiar with the specifics and ins-n-outs of those models, but what I can see is that the first one is basically the same as most other electric smokers, where you can use your own wood, the 2nd one, seems like it might lock you in to only pre-made smoke wood pucks. Maybe this isn't a big deal to you, but it would probably keep me from buying the unit.

---
ADDENDUM: Eh, looks like I had the window open without refreshing it for longer than I had thought. Brent seems to have covered this already.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #1457
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Honestly this is what I have and use
http://www.brinkmann.net/products/ou...tem=810-7090-S
While I would like to have a temperature control it really is not missing anything else. The constant on elements cooks just under 220 so I adjust my cook time appropriately. I do like that I can use my own wood and would stay away from puck when I move to a different smoker.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #1458
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:

or

I did alot of shopping around when I was looking at those two smokers. Please read the reviews on the Masterbuit Electric before buying. Look on Cabelas and Bass Pro and Amazon. The Electronic module on the top of the smoker does not last. MANY people had it go out numerous times during warranty and after warranty. The Sales rep at Bass Pro even told me that in person.
I went with the Bradley. They have great customer service and a great site with and awesome smoking forum.
Yes the pucks are proprietary, but they are not expensive. Because they are putting out so much pure smoke you do not run smoke the entire cooking time.
I ran the smoke for the 5 hours I smoked my ribs and holy cow, way too much smoke.
I run 2.5 hours of smoke on my ribs and 5 hours on my Pork Butts. This is plenty of time, trust me.
The pucks cost around .30c each. So you're talking $2.25-$4.50 per smoke. Not expensive at all. Plus some electricity of course.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #1459
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I run 2.5 hours of smoke on my ribs and 5 hours on my Pork Butts. This is plenty of time, trust me.
The pucks cost around .30c each. So you're talking $2.25-$4.50 per smoke. Not expensive at all. Plus some electricity of course.
That is good info Brent. In comps we use two smokers... my Spicewine and my partners FEC 100 which is a pellet cooker. On either one we set them up to provide the flavoring smoke for just about the times you indicate. For brisket we go about 4 hours because too much mesquite can be a turn off.

I had no idea the pucks were that cheap. That is about what a cook with pellets costs as well.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #1460
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Good info Brent, thanks. I didn't realize your new smoker was a Bradley, kind of convenient for this thread right now.

Looks like they have most of the major ones except peach: Apple, Alder, Cherry, Maple, Mesquite, Oak, Hickory, Pecan, Special Blend.

I like working with plum, peach, almond and other uncommon/unconventional woods. Being locked into their woods would be the hang up for me, but probably not for too many other people. Let's face it, a very large percentage of the woods used in all smokers are offered on that list already.