Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #1342
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Actually, the stack extension and the sleeve I placed inside helped me tune the temperature a bit. Whit the just the "stock" stack, it didn't draw quiet enough. I have another extesion (that doubles the extension) but then it draws too fast. With just theone it seems to work much better IMHO, YMMV.

When your talking about increasing the draw you mean be able to raise the temp ? That seems to be the biggest problem I have with mine, kinda hard to get it above 200.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #1343
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonesledn View Post
yep, its a Klose. build date is 04'

about 7' long, 6' high, and weighs about 1000 pounds. has the sausage rack, 40" tube, steak grill, minion "s" chartcoal basket.

needs a good cleaning, but well worth what i stole it for i think.
I thought it looked like one of Dave's. Very nice unit! I hope you enjoy the heck out of that thing!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #1344
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
When your talking about increasing the draw you mean be able to raise the temp ? That seems to be the biggest problem I have with mine, kinda hard to get it above 200.
Yes, and holding a steady temperature. It just didn't seem to move the air from the firebox thru the smoke chamber and out the stack. I have 6" of rolled up flashing in side the stack in the smoke chamber (cooking area) that extends down to about 1" above the grate.Then I put a section of water heater stack on the stack to crate a ventura effect. as the hot air goes up the stack, it picks up velocity pulling more fresh air into the firebox. I start the charcoal with the end vents all of the way open, then once I get a good burn, I can close the firebox vent down to about half way. Before the mods, I had to run the vents wide open and the fire still just seemed to solder. without a good fire, you obviously can't keep temperatures up, plus you risk creating creosote (condensation from the smoke) in the smoke chamber which drips onto your food and causes a bitter flavor.

I hope this helps!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #1345
joeobx

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try. I have run a piece of dryer vent inside down to the grate. Been having to build a bonfire though to get it above 200-210. I've also installed a piece of channel inside and cut different size peices sheet metal to tune and at least the temps even across the grate.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #1346
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I thought it looked like one of Dave's. Very nice unit! I hope you enjoy the heck out of that thing!
I recognized the pit too. That is one hell of a pick up at nearly any price!!! Nice job brother
Old 11-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #1347
Gonesledn
making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough

i think i am going to have to make more friends to cook for... and hope i can turn out some grub that is as tasty as the rest of you guys!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #1348
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try. I have run a piece of dryer vent inside down to the grate. Been having to build a bonfire though to get it above 200-210. I've also installed a piece of channel inside and cut different size peices sheet metal to tune and at least the temps even across the grate.
Joe, Are you using the thermometer that is on the pit or are you using an oven thermometer or remote thermometer in the pit? The thermometer that is on my pit has to read between 350* and 450*F for me to get a 225* temperature at my cooking grates. I use a remote thermometer so that I can crash out in my truck and sleep when doing really long cooks on my Lang and still know what my cooker is doing.

Here is a close-up of the flashing that I placed inside my stack to lower the stack closer to teh food grates. If you get it too far down I found that it didn't work quiet the way I wanted it to. About an inch to inch and a half works best for me. Like I have said before, a lot of playing around a testing. But that is also a part of the fun. It's kind of like back when I hotrodded car.

Last edited by Steve; 11-07-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1349
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I recognized the pit too. That is one hell of a pick up at nearly any price!!! Nice job brother
Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #1350
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
i think i am going to have to make more friends to cook for... and hope i can turn out some grub that is as tasty as the rest of you guys!
Brent and I could travel, but I for one think it would be better this spring AFTER the Cicago snows!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #1351
joeobx

Steve, I picked up a couple thermometers from Lowes or Home Depot can't remember which but did test them with boiling water and they were right on ....drilled and mounted them just above the grates on each side of the lid. I would take some picks but the wife took the camera on a trip to AZ.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #1352
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Here's another question Joe, what type of charcoal are you using; briquetts or lump? Lump burns hotter.

Also, does your fire box have a grate to hold the coal up off the bottom of the box? I have seen some that do not have a grate, or that have a grate that is tonarrow and only keeps the coal a little off of the bottom of the fire box. I picked up a larger grate (wider) that would let me lift the charcoal a little higher off the bottom. This gives me more room for the ash to drop thru and not "smother" the fire, and it lets more oxygen get to the fire.

It's not a big mod to the smoker, but it made a difference for me.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #1353
joeobx

Made my own out of a couple SS wok's, so I have plenty of space under. I've used both lump and briquettes only get about 5-10 deg difference. After seeing the extension I think that will be my next mod. I'll try to grab my work camera and post a couple of pics. I really appreciate all the help
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #1354
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

8lbs of Bacon. This is my second pork belly. I salt cured it for 5 days down in the basement and then cherry smoked it for about 8hrs.

Plus some elk rib meat from one I shot in 2006. Never knew what to do with it so I brined it for 5 days and smoked it for about 12hrs. It is kind of a pastrami flavor so I cut it super thin and cook it up and eat it on a sandwich, pretty good stuff... I smoked it flat and rolled it for slicing.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #1355
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

that looks delish
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #1356
Gonesledn
making trails

got it cleaned up today.... still needs some sanding and a coat of high temp black. probably do some ribs tomorrow for a test run.

[/
Old 11-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #1357
Gonesledn
making trails

]
[/
Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #1358
Gonesledn
making trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
8lbs of Bacon. This is my second pork belly. I salt cured it for 5 days down in the basement and then cherry smoked it for about 8hrs.

Plus some elk rib meat from one I shot in 2006. Never knew what to do with it so I brined it for 5 days and smoked it for about 12hrs. It is kind of a pastrami flavor so I cut it super thin and cook it up and eat it on a sandwich, pretty good stuff... I smoked it flat and rolled it for slicing.

looks dam tasty!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #1359
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
got it cleaned up today.... still needs some sanding and a coat of high temp black. probably do some ribs tomorrow for a test run.

[/

I'm envious Wes.

Can we be friends?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #1360
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Today I am trying to make some pulled chicken and a brisket.

M first two briskets were only so so. if anyone has any recommendation on what temp to put in i foil and what temp to pull it off it would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chicken&Brisket.jpg (108.4 KB, 374 views)
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote