Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #21
yellowgoat

Default Re: Habanna 2000 Wrapper

Savinelli Special Selection has that wrapper. I think ir does.

Is a Habano wrapper the same as a Habana 2000?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #22
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowgoat View Post
Savinelli Special Selection has that wrapper. I think ir does.

Is a Habano wrapper the same as a Habana 2000?
So far as I know, "Habano wrapper" in the NC world either speaks of it's shade (it's a reddish maduro) or that it's grown from cuban seed. So yes, in some instance, it could mean it's from Havanah 2000 seed.
I don't think it's at all a direct connection like I think you're thinking, cause a "Habano wrapper" could be from any other kind of cuban seed, too.
In my personal experience, I've enjoyed Habano wrappers. They are lighter than maduros, but have almost as much sweetness, but seem to have a little bit spicier finish. They're good. It's pretty much as light as I'll go so far as wrapper is concerned. I usually stick with maduros and oscuros. I do enjoy some Habanos and Corojos. I have no idea what a Corojo is, but I find them about the same color as a Habano, a little less sweet, and usually spicy as well. I really can't tell an appreciable difference between corojo's and habano's.
IIRC, they used to use a lot of corojo in cc's. It was from Criollo tobacco seed. Now they use a lot more Habana 2000 and Criollo Especial seed.

I sure rambled a long way in a short time there, didn't I?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

In NC terms, Habano only referrs to Cuban seed source. The color shade has nothing to do with it. A "Habano" wrapper can be any shade really.

Corojo was an early hybrid tobacco, created in the 1940's as a new variety of tobacco that was bred to preserve the classic black tobacco characteristics but also produce large yeilds of high-grade wrapper leaf. It's a cross breed of Criollo and a Sumatra strain that has high wrapper yields. It takes it's name, "Corojo" from the farm where it was initially developed. While it does typically happen to be a reddish brown, it's not a color shade, and can be found in other shades.

Last edited by T.G; 04-23-2010 at 02:46 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #24
yellowgoat

Very good info! Thanks.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

I think Habana Leon from Cigar King uses a H2000 wrapper, at least thats what it sounds like from the band.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #26
Playa Habana

We have a cupboard full of the (100% Cuban)Habano 2000 wrapper in our humidor for when we do personal cigar rolling -for weddings, bachelor parties etc...............

Smells amazing, have yet to smoke one tho'.....
Old 04-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Habana View Post
We have a cupboard full of the (100% Cuban)Habano 2000 wrapper in our humidor for when we do personal cigar rolling -for weddings, bachelor parties etc...............

Smells amazing, have yet to smoke one tho'.....
I'd be way more happy had you said you have Corojo wrapper (pre-1998) on hand, the switch in 1998 from Corojo to Habano is what made me (and a good number of others) turn away from Cuban cigars. Interesting that Camacho picked up the ball in 1998 and went with it, the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

If you ask Cuba ex-pats what wrapper they'd use if embargo is lifted, it is that old time Corojo wrapper and sometimes Criollo, not the new Habano. Playing for safety and larger yields (Habano) was the wrong move by Cuba. Again, just my opinion, and I have yet to find one Habano wrapped cigar that says to me I should buy a box or more of.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #28
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
Which one. i just looked through their line and dont see one.
sorry about that they use an indonesian on it I was mistaken
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #29
Nurse_Maduro

One of my favorite sticks has it: the Gurkha Regent. It's been discontinued, but you can still pick up several of the vitolas.