Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Felixcigar
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Felixcigar is on a distinguished road
Default Humidification of New Box of Cigars

Situation: Purchased a box of Illusione 88's a week or so ago. Wooden box came wrapped in factory cellophane. Put sticks in my very classy Ziplock disposable food container (basically a disposable version of Tupperware). I keep all my sticks in about a dozen different identical containers, each with its own Boveda 72% humidi-pak. I have a digital hygrometer that makes the rounds between containers and always reads 72%. I put the new Illusiones in a container and put in a new Boveda pak. The hygrometer has been reading a steady 65%. The sticks feel light, i.e., I've had properly humidified 88's that felt much more dense. Did I get a box of sticks that was not maintained at the proper humidity during its time at the retailer? I've bought boxes (of other brands from other vendors) before, and I've never experienced this. Do I have a problem, or will time resolve this?
Felixcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Humidification of New Box of Cigars

No problem.
It takes days to a week or two for RH to stabilize.

I think 72% is too wet but if it works for you that's all that matters.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

1..is the Boveda pack a 72% ?
2.did you check sticks with your hygro before you put in the Boveda?
3. does your hygro read properly in your other humis?
4. can you check your results with a second hygro?
5.has the temp.remained fairly constant?

I agree,72% is outside my comfort range for cigars.63 to 67% is ideal for me in the 68 to75 degree range.
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

65% is perfect bro. I think you will surprised how well they will smoke at this rh%. As Peter said it takes time. We have all been there where you want things to happen quickly and I know from experience that it's not easy being patient but I wouldn't worry about it and just let them sit for a few weeks to get acclimated and it will be all good.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Like others have said, don't sweat it. Cigars are amazingly resilient, and can be kept in a wide range of humidity.

Much over the 72% you're shooting for, and I'd start worrying about mold. Much below 58%, I'd start getting mildly concerned about the smokes drying out. Anything between those two limits I'd call good.

It really depends on whether you prefer smoking a dryer or wetter cigar. Wetter they tend to draw harder, dryer they smoke hotter. It's up to you to find your sweet spot.

Me, I like 'em around 62% or so. Once every few months or so I actually look at my hygrometers, just to see if they still register a reading.

For a long time now I've gone primarily by how my little tobacco tubes feel.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Felixcigar
Still Watching My Back

Felixcigar is on a distinguished road

OK, panic mode off. Yes, I've been told before that 72% Boveda pak is too high: I will be ordering the 65% paks this week. Lots of other good smokes to choose from, so no worries. Thanks for sharing the wisdom. It will be interesting to see how they smoke at a lower humidity. I have to say, those Boveda paks make it so easy. Thanks again to all!
Felixcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

Proof is in the smoking. Give one a try and see how she smokes. If they're really at 65, I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll love it way more than you did at 72%!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

humidity is all relative.

derrek
Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Cincymike
grumpy senior in training

First Name: Mike
Cincymike is on a distinguished road

I don't use a hygrometer anymore. In my apartment, my old 1950's Dunhill humidor keeps my smokes at the mid-60's; I can tell this by the way they smoke. Cigars from most tobacconists are too wet off the shelf, but they have to store them that way because of the constant opening and closing of the doors in the case or the humidor (if its a walk-in).
Cincymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
CigarInspector
Blogging hedonist

First Name: Denis
RA
CigarInspector is on a distinguished road

I am slightly confused by one portion of your post. You talk about moving your hygrometer from box to box. How long do you reseal the box and let it sit before reading your hygrometer? The simple act of opening and closing the box affects the humidity of the box. You could easily be reading an ambient humidity level instead of the sealed humidity level the cigars experience.

Time should correct the problem, but I suggest leaving the hygrometer in one box for a day or two and reading it through the lid, without breaking the seal. That is when you get an accurate reading of the box's current humidity level.
CigarInspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
badbriar

[quote=cort;1881032]65% is perfect bro...

+1 on this. I've made the mistake of firing up an aged Undercrown that was kept at a tad over 70% and it was like sucking a pea through a straw. My error - not the cigar. Undercrowns are one of the most forgiving cigars out there and usually perform flawlessly from 62 to 68% humidity. I keep my wineador and humidor at 66 / 66 and life is good! My 2c.
RR