Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #101
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Ubuntu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
The new PCLinuxOS 2010 is freakin awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I just looked over PCLOS's website. I like their upgrade philosophy better than UBUNTU's.
Continuous long term upgrades vs. version replacement.
Just installed PCLOS at work. It will take me a long time to get it loaded and configured with all the apps I run: VMware, Apache, security stuff, graphics, etc., but I'm liking it better already.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #102
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

okay, here's an ubuntu question ...

while I can do this manually, I'm looking for what the "official" or "ubuntu" way to do this.

I've downloaded skype for linux and want to install it, but I can't seem to make the synaptics package manager work with the download (can't point to a local repository). Does anyone know where the official "how to install" docs for skype on linux are located?

I'm spending a few weeks mostly in linux as I do a security analysis of the openssl library, which so far seems quite good. I was using cscope in cygwin under Vista, but it is more convenient to do this under Linux. Since I skype herf a lot, I need skype or I'll have to use different systems for the analysis and skype.

Somehow, having two laptops on the patio while smoking a nice stick seems so like me, but I like to avoid cliches
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #103
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
okay, here's an ubuntu question ...

while I can do this manually, I'm looking for what the "official" or "ubuntu" way to do this.

I've downloaded skype for linux and want to install it, but I can't seem to make the synaptics package manager work with the download (can't point to a local repository). Does anyone know where the official "how to install" docs for skype on linux are located?

I'm spending a few weeks mostly in linux as I do a security analysis of the openssl library, which so far seems quite good. I was using cscope in cygwin under Vista, but it is more convenient to do this under Linux. Since I skype herf a lot, I need skype or I'll have to use different systems for the analysis and skype.

Somehow, having two laptops on the patio while smoking a nice stick seems so like me, but I like to avoid cliches
What extension does the downloaded file have?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #104
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
What extension does the downloaded file have?
it is a .deb file

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...post-download/
Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #105
BC-Axeman

If you have KPackage it should open it and have a button to install it with.
You can install it with the command "dpkg -i /path/to/filename"
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #106
BC-Axeman

It seems kpackage is gone in the newest releases, so you may not have it.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #107
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (2)
CueTheMusic is on a distinguished road

Here is the "official" (suggested) way to install skype in ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype
CueTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #108
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
Here is the "official" (suggested) way to install skype in ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype
cool beans! could not find that when I looked before.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #109
BC-Axeman

It looks like I may not spend too much time with PCLOS as it is an .rpm (Red Hat) based system and I prefer .deb (Debian) based. It has to do with how the package databases work with upgrades and additions.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #110
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough

Anyone take the plunge and upgrade to 10.10? I upgraded all our machines and I love it! Xubuntu 10.10 is lightening fast on my wife's laptop. Can't beat it!
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #111
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

I just upgraded to 10.10. I stay with all the LTS on my servers. Very happy.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #112
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

So, what are your thoughts on Unity? I'm not digging it, so I'm running Lubuntu 12.04 on my netbook and Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome3 on everything else.

12.04 LTS is working really great for me.

On a side note, my one wish is that the nVidia drivers were on the same level in linux. I'd love to be able to run 12.04 on my HTPC and bitstream DTS-MA and Dolby True HD. Sounds like XBMC audioengine is being integrated into the mainstream release.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #113
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
So, what are your thoughts on Unity? I'm not digging it, so I'm running Lubuntu 12.04 on my netbook and Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome3 on everything else.

12.04 LTS is working really great for me.

On a side note, my one wish is that the nVidia drivers were on the same level in linux. I'd love to be able to run 12.04 on my HTPC and bitstream DTS-MA and Dolby True HD. Sounds like XBMC audioengine is being integrated into the mainstream release.
Unity on my laptop has been useful. Unity on a desktop is oversimplified and I switched back to gnome for the time being. Unity hasn't exactly been received with open arms by the community. Curious to see what the next year or two will bring.

Installing NVidia drivers is a lot easier than it used to be, thats for sure. However, there is still usually "some" work that has to take place in order to get the drivers installed and working properly. I wouldn't wish that on a non-technical person.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #114
BC-Axeman

Nvidia has been working a lot better than ATI for me. Just sayin'.
I've been a KDE user for so long that I just don't get Gnome. I've tried it from time to time but go back to KDE.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #115
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Nvidia has been working a lot better than ATI for me. Just sayin'.
I've been a KDE user for so long that I just don't get Gnome. I've tried it from time to time but go back to KDE.
You are definitely not the only user that prefers KDE. I started with Gnome and have grown accustomed to it over the years. I have tried KDE, but found that I just didn't feel the change was worth it. I suspect that if I had started with KDE I would still be using it.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #116
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Yes, I definitely agree NVidia drivers are getting way easier to manage and better in general in Linux. I haven't had to install them manually for quite a while, probably since version 9 or 10.

That being said, my home theater processor has some HDMI handshake issue with linux drivers and some resolution issues as well. I'm sure this will be resolved as linux continues to be more main stream!

I've tried KDE in the past. I liked it, but it was using the gnome3 desktop and decided it was easier to work in a more familiar environment with terminal commands that I'm more comfortable with (apt-get vs yum, etc).
Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #117
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough

This thread perked my interest as I have always been curious. I dont really use my laptop much except for surfing the net, some small torrents, and some photo editing. I have no complains about windows, but hey we all like to mess with stuff, its human nature. I ubuntu hard to put on a laptop? will i loose everything i have on here? Will i gain anything out of it?
IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #118
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
This thread perked my interest as I have always been curious. I dont really use my laptop much except for surfing the net, some small torrents, and some photo editing. I have no complains about windows, but hey we all like to mess with stuff, its human nature. I ubuntu hard to put on a laptop? will i loose everything i have on here? Will i gain anything out of it?
I tried Ubuntu out for the same reasons you posted your questions. You can do a dual boot with windows or you can download a live CD and try it out by running off the CD. Expect it to run slow since you are running off a CD or thumb drive. Regardless, back up your stuff in case you take a wrong turn.

If you can handle torrents you can handle Ubuntu.

There are an enormous amount of resources for getting started with Ubuntu. The first place I would start is http://ubuntuforums.org.

Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #119
BC-Axeman

The good thing about linux is that once you understand what's going on and where, it's really understood. I don't think it's possible to understand Windoz fully. If you think you do then they change it. I like that MSFT has adopted some *nix commands for the command shell. It makes things a bit easier.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #120
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I am about to put a new SSD in my macbook and I think I will partition and run Linux as well. I was thinking Mint....
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote