Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about
Default Graycliff Crystal torro

Yes my ashtray is dirty!

Partnered with Johnny Walker Green
Setting: garage with dog, 101 F, NorCal Summer

Pre-light inspection:
Dark, slightly toothy wrapper with slightly grassy pre-light draw. Nothing remarkable, nor nothing negative to report.

First 1/3

Cap cuts off easily with a twist and snip of the Palio cutter and reveals an even, smooth draw.

Fires right up with a torch and draw remains smooth.

Earthy tones hit the palate with a thick smoke that's fun to roll around in the mouth. Finish has a hint of sweetness with a lingering spice. The JW Green is really bringing out the spice at the finish. Working towards the end of the first third, the draw reveals the earth tones and leather building in intensity while keeping the slightly spicy finish. Ash has been holding firm and keeping the draw cool and very smooth.

2/3

Smoke gets richer, fuller in body. While still smooth, the spice is becoming more ****ounced it's very easy to pass the smoke though the nose. Heating up a little at the end of the second third but mostly likely because I'm smoking it a bit on the fast side. Ash refuses to drop but the burn line has gone from laser even to a slightly flowery edge. Nothing horrible, just an observation. Very relaxing smoke thus far and leaves my mouth with a little tingle.

3/3

Ash finally dropped. Earth and leather have edged the spice out of the way on the draw. Finish is almost like the warmth from a jalapeņo pepper oils on the tip on my tongue. The Crystal has that Graycliff flavor profile I can't quite place from the Original and Professional, just a bit less of it. Maybe it's a bit fuller bodied and less grassy but I'm not good enough to tell you what that profile is. This smoke has gone though several subtle changes I wish I could tell you more about but again, my palate just isn't developed enough to describe them all to you.

Liked it: Yes

Buy again? Yes

Recommend? Yes, goes great on a full stomach. I enjoy the subtle changes all the way throughout this smoke and appreciate that it remains smooth to the nub.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Graycliff Crystal torro

you have to clean your ashtray.

Nice review, heard good stuff about Graycliff, I never smoked them but i have one in my humi.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
you have to clean your ashtray.

Nice review, heard good stuff about Graycliff, I never smoked them but i have one in my humi.
I promise I've cleaned it and usually keep it 50% less disgusting than in the photos. Sloppy for a review but you get what you pay for around here.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Nice review. I have only had the PG and 1666, hit or miss with them but sometimes good.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Cybervee
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Cybervee is on a distinguished road

Yes, but are they worth the high price?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybervee View Post
Yes, but are they worth the high price?
I get them on cbid for about $100/bundle. I give away the ci branded ones and keep the rest.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

The Crystal is pretty darned good. I like it much better than the red and blue labels.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
TideRoll
It is what it is.

First Name: Tim
Trading: (5)
Partagas
TideRoll is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I've had several in one of my boxes for a while. Maybe it's time to break one out.
TideRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review. I'm put off by the price, but maybe I'll see if I can pick up a crystal.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
Thanks for the review. I'm put off by the price, but maybe I'll see if I can pick up a crystal.
Keep a watch on the Devil Site for these. You can usually find them ~7 a stick there... which is still a LOT, but makes it a bit more reasonable.
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote