Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #141
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: blind 10 spot review(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
My favorite Gurkha is the His Majesty's Limited Edition Royal Grand Centennial Gold Vintage Triple Ligero Anniversario Reserve Ancient Nepalese Titan Beast Warrior.

I've tried quite a few Gurkhas. The Expedition was a decent smoke, there was another one, I think Grand Reserve, in a Connecticut wrapper that was pretty good, and I smoked through a 5 pack of Centurian perfectos that I thought were pretty good smokes. Didn't like the Doble Maduro, the Royal Brigade, Nepalese Warrior, and there are a couple others I can't remember the names of.

My problem(s) with them are the inconsistent construction and flavor of the cigars, and, quite frankly, the hype. I hate hype. Make a GOOD, CONSISTENT cigar. I don't give a crap about the name on the band. I don't care what the box looks like. And I don't wanna see a ridiculous price tag either. A cigar that retails for $30 a stick? $40 a stick? $750 a stick? Who are you trying to fool? My mama didn't raise no sucka!
I've had one in a Connecticut wrapper. Not bad if you like Connies, but too mild for me. The Doble Maduro and whatever the barber pole one was were awful. They both tasted like dirt (a heavy earthy flavor).

We started this out with PI and Reyes, move on to Rocky Patels, and now Gurkhas. Where did we go wrong?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #142
EEE

Quote:
There are very few cigar makers that don't "enhance" their maduro wrappers in some way. I smoked a Padron 80th and my fingers looked like I ran out of toilet paper. Smoked an Anejo that did it too. On the other hand, I've smoked cheapo, pitch black bundle cigars that didn't stain my fingers.

I think it depends on the "dye recipe".

Also, I've found that some cigars will "absorb" some of the dye with time. La Floridita and El Mejor Espresso are 2 examples.

If'n it makes ya feel any better, they don't use shoe polish or anything to color the wrappers.
I've had behind the scenes looks and conversations with more than just the Reyes group and I can tell you this may have been the case 10/15 years ago but not anymore - at least with most manufacturers. Consumers are becoming too educated and expecting better.

I can't speak for ALL manu's but there are fewer and fewer of them that dye their cigars.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #143
lou2row

Well, Andy took me up on my offer. EEE, you have first shot at the other position since you graciously put on round one. If not, Mark or someone else that has followed this thread can step in.

I'm more interested in which cigars you enjoy more than picking the Gurkhas. My biggest issue with gurks is construction. Several have flavors I've enjoyed, but they have fell apart on me more than any other cigar manufacturer. I always believe that in a blind review without any hype, you are more prone to find what you like.

So, who else wants to play?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #144
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post

I'm more interested in which cigars you enjoy more than picking the Gurkhas.
Is this a question for me? What do I like right now?

I'm into strong sticks. I like about anything Nicaraguan at this point. I mellow out with some Padrons and a few CCs that people gift me, but if I'm picking it out, I go for the power and strength. I haven't found much power in Gurkhas yet.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:08 AM   #145
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

CIGAR #10

Robusto with an ugly blemished wrapper. Pre-light draw is grass and hay.

First few draws...

I would guess that this cigar IS a Rolando Reyes cigar.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #146
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Is this a question for me? What do I like right now?

I'm into strong sticks. I like about anything Nicaraguan at this point. I mellow out with some Padrons and a few CCs that people gift me, but if I'm picking it out, I go for the power and strength. I haven't found much power in Gurkhas yet.
I meant what you think of the ten blind sticks versus just "gurkha or not" as an answer, but this will help with a lineup.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #147
EEE

Mark # 10 - hoya de nicaragua

Very interesting.

This was the only cigar that Andy didn't get because he was the one I was actually challenging to the Reyes part of this. I'm wondering if you psyched out and thought you were smoking a Reyes stick and your brain told you what to taste vs what you were actually tasting. Almost like if were given an Opus X with a Mac label.... Would we still think it tasted like an Opus X? This is very interesting.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #148
EEE

Lou - sure, I'm game. I will send over my addy.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #149
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Very entertaining thread guys. EEE, WTG offering up like you did. Andy and Mark, nice job on the reviews.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #150
EEE

You have great tastes in your baseball team and that you football and hockey choices follow suit.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #151
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Very entertaining thread guys. EEE, WTG offering up like you did. Andy and Mark, nice job on the reviews.
Ditto...you all did a great job of it. Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #152
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
You have great tastes in your baseball team and that you football and hockey choices follow suit.
If you're referring to me, yes indeed. Four sport Philly guy here (yes, I even pull for the Sixers). I also pull for the city schools during the NCAA's.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #153
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:

Very interesting.

This was the only cigar that Andy didn't get because he was the one I was actually challenging to the Reyes part of this. I'm wondering if you psyched out and thought you were smoking a Reyes stick and your brain told you what to taste vs what you were actually tasting. Almost like if were given an Opus X with a Mac label.... Would we still think it tasted like an Opus X? This is very interesting.

I love some JdNs, especially the Antano. Maybe you're on to something with the label thing. I beleive I got psyched out on the DPG blue label. Never had any grass or hay from a JdN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
If you're referring to me, yes indeed. Four sport Philly guy here (yes, I even pull for the Sixers). I also pull for the city schools during the NCAA's.
Not a Phillies fan here, but I'm damned proud of them for bringing a championship home to the National League. Now if only we could win an All-Star Game.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #154
EEE

I think the next round I do this it will be completely blind and not a single brand name given prior
Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #155
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I think the next round I do this it will be completely blind and not a single brand name given prior
I think that would be a good idea. I was thinking that every stick I smoked was going to be a PI, therefore I was expecting the worse out of all of them.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #156
EEE

while typing on a blackberry - the English language is ruined. LOL

Next month - two more volunteers for a fiver blinder. Maybe I'll do this every month???
Old 08-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #157
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Very interesting.

Not a big fan of JdN...that might explain it. Smoked a few Celebracions and did not like them at all, smoked a few Antanos that were OK but nothing special. I found that they needed too much humi time for a NC. I guess I coulda been a little bit psyched out though.

My final word on Reyes cigars:

I've smoked a lot of them over the past few years, and they all had a familiar flavor and aroma that I just don't like. Obviously they have fans or they wouldn't have been in business this long. Maybe it's the way they cure or ferment their tobacco, I dunno.

But hey, that's what makes this hobby/obsession of ours so interesting. Different smokes for different folks. It's the same with food. I don't like asparagus. To me, PIs are the equivalent of smoking asparagus.

EEE -- thanks for the challenge, bro. It was an eye-opening experience.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #158
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
It's the same with food. I don't like asparagus. To me, PIs are the equivalent of smoking asparagus.
Hmmm, asparagus is my favorite vegatable. wonder how it would smoke?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #159
lou2row

Quote:
I'll go with that on this one. No sense having you worry that every cigar is going to be a Gurkha. Plus, most the ones I had several of were going to be dead giveaway figurados! You could have called em before you even lit em. But a couple will be Gurkhas, just not many.

Just printed out labels, they will ship tomorrow morning.

DC#'s

I will start a new thread for the next round. Hope something hits your taste profile and you find something interesting to try. Almost every cigar is one I keep around and is part of my regular rotation.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #160
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yup that the way to do it. Mix em up.. .put some great inexpensive smokes and some great semi-expensive ones in there. Alway fun to watch people's reviews.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote