Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: types of wood that can be used in a humidor?

Honduran Mahogany is a non-aromatic. Lots of guys use it for guitars.
A problem with the name "Honduran Mahogany" is that it includes lots of species. By and large, they'll have like cutting and turning characteristics, which is how woodworkers group species.
So far as advantage in keeping cigars, we've been talking about a veneered plywood product all along. A veneered plywood product has exactly zero of the advantages of solid wood. A brother would be far further ahead with a solid finished hardwood than a veneered anything. Hell, ya might as well go with mdf and veneer everything rather than pay a premium for plywood. At least it'll create a waterproof barrier of sorts.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
althekillr
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
althekillr is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the input guys. After searching around and being quoted prices for solid spanish cedar and honduran mahogany of $9-$15 a board foot, i found a place that has it for $5.69 a board foot for solid spanish cedar. a local lumber yard in an industrial area that has been around for 100 years.

He did tell me that honduran mahogany has got extremely expensive recently.
althekillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

BTW, once you get started....

Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
althekillr
Still Watching My Back

haha, i will post some pics once im done.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
althekillr
Still Watching My Back

alright, was able to score 100 Boardfeet of hardwood spanish cedar for 4.83 pbf. thats not quite enough and need about 170-180 to do the walls and shelves. since the hardwood is 1 inch think i was thinking it of slicking it in half so i can line the humi with 1/2 inch and then have enough to make the shelves.

Interstingly enough honduran mahogany is about 7.50 a boardfoot but they were all sold out. so spanish cedar is even cheaper. i'm probably going to go with african mahogany for shelf cleating as that is more readily available.