Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Chingo

Default Anyone else have problems with Taboo cigars?

I eagerly got the 10 stick sampler as one of my first purchases when I got home a few months ago to give them a try. I tried the HSG a few weeks ago and it was very problematic - couldn't get it to light or stay lit once lit. I asked about it in the Beginner's Thread and couldn't pinpoint a cause, so I chalked it up to an isolated bad stick.

I decided to give the Dominican Maduro a spin tonight - had almost the exact same problems. Couldn't get it to light. When I finally did, it would not stay light. It ended up being a pretty frustrating cycle of relighting, purging, constantly drawing to keep it lit, rinse and repeat. As you can imagine, wasn't a very pleasant experience .

My humidor is (and has been) about 67% RH. I'm no pro, but even with my imperfect lighting technique I've smoked a few sticks from the same humidor between the two bad Taboo sticks with no problems. So what do you guys think? Are they finnicky cigars that don't put up with beginners? Or could I have gotten a cruddy batch?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Taboo cigars?

anything could be possible. I've smoked probably 20 different cigars from them and while i don't remember the exact experience, I'd say they are no more or less prone to touch up then any other cigar i've enjoyed. How long have they been in your humidor? were the cigars dry when you got them?

I'll tell ya one thing, the costa rician maduro they have will take a giant rubber ball (the kind we all had as kids and you got at KMart) square to the foot while being smoked with only light wrapper damage after
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Chingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
anything could be possible. I've smoked probably 20 different cigars from them and while i don't remember the exact experience, I'd say they are no more or less prone to touch up then any other cigar i've enjoyed. How long have they been in your humidor? were the cigars dry when you got them?

I'll tell ya one thing, the costa rician maduro they have will take a giant rubber ball (the kind we all had as kids and you got at KMart) square to the foot while being smoked with only light wrapper damage after
They've been in there for probably 2 1/2 months now. I doubt they were dry as they were my first purchase so I was really careful to keep them in good shape. The only reason I'm thinking it may be the sticks is because it's 2 sticks now and I haven't had a problem with any other cigars they live with.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I've had a few and never had a problem
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

I've bought a lot of sticks from Taboo, with very few problems! Give Rob or Patrick a call and let them know about your problems. I know the few problems I've had were handled promptly and to my complete satisfaction!

I've smoked quite a few HSGs, and never had a problem. I do know from Rob's emails, that they have just had a fresh supply of cigars come in. Perhaps they are still a tad wet. If you have a spare humidor or an empty cedar cigar box, try "dry-boxing" the sampler for a few days. That may fix your problems.

I just received a Taboo "sampler" package a few days ago,and I always let any of my sticks rest for a week or two, before smoking them. YMMV

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

The only issue I've ever had is with the Twists. Sometimes they'll burn a little uneven because of the two wrappers. But they taste so good it's worth the hassle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
I've bought a lot of sticks from Taboo, with very few problems! Give Rob or Patrick a call and let them know about your problems. I know the few problems I've had were handled promptly and to my complete satisfaction!

I've smoked quite a few HSGs, and never had a problem. I do know from Rob's emails, that they have just had a fresh supply of cigars come in. Perhaps they are still a tad wet. If you have a spare humidor or an empty cedar cigar box, try "dry-boxing" the sampler for a few days. That may fix your problems.

I just received a Taboo "sampler" package a few days ago,and I always let any of my sticks rest for a week or two, before smoking them. YMMV

Charlie offered some good advice here. It sounds like your sticks are too wet. Are you certain your hygro reading is accurate? When was the last time you changed the batteries and re-calibrated it (assuming its digital of course).

Tobacco is quite hygroscopic, meaning it will suck up moisture in the air. This moisture can make cigars so wet that the tobacco refuses to ignite. Wet sticks can take forever to dry out to the point where they smoke decently, and if your humi is in the high 60s RH% it will take even longer. Try the dry boxing, and if that cures the issue then you know what the problem was. Dry boxing simply means leaving your cigars in a environment that has a lower RH% than your humidor. Could be another humidor, an empty cigar box, or just on the counter. A couple or few days usually does the trick, but it may take even longer depending on the humidity.

If you still have a problem, call or email the Taboo team, their customer service is excellent.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I've had a few and never had a problem

Only had a couple of them and I didn't have any problems. They were good cigars.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Addiction

If his hydro was off wouldn't he see this problem across all his cigars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Charlie offered some good advice here. It sounds like your sticks are too wet. Are you certain your hygro reading is accurate? When was the last time you changed the batteries and re-calibrated it (assuming its digital of course).

Tobacco is quite hygroscopic, meaning it will suck up moisture in the air. This moisture can make cigars so wet that the tobacco refuses to ignite. Wet sticks can take forever to dry out to the point where they smoke decently, and if your humi is in the high 60s RH% it will take even longer. Try the dry boxing, and if that cures the issue then you know what the problem was. Dry boxing simply means leaving your cigars in a environment that has a lower RH% than your humidor. Could be another humidor, an empty cigar box, or just on the counter. A couple or few days usually does the trick, but it may take even longer depending on the humidity.

If you still have a problem, call or email the Taboo team, their customer service is excellent.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Never any issues except with the Twists like Kreth but very few
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
If his hydro was off wouldn't he see this problem across all his cigars?
Good point Bryan, he did say the others are smoking fine.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #12
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Could just be a bad batch. Give Rob a call or E-mail and I'd be willing to bet cash that he would take care of you! He'd Aces in my book!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I've never had any problems with Taboos, only the occasional wrapper burn problem with the Twists. I've never had a plugged cigar or one that wouldn't stay lit.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Pretty much taboo to talk bad about Taboo around here!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #15
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Pretty much taboo to talk bad about Taboo around here!!!
Looks like the god of downhill skiers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #16
Taboo Cigars
www.TabooCigars.com

Trading: (9)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Taboo Cigars has a spectacular aura aboutTaboo Cigars has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingo View Post
I eagerly got the 10 stick sampler as one of my first purchases when I got home a few months ago to give them a try. I tried the HSG a few weeks ago and it was very problematic - couldn't get it to light or stay lit once lit. I asked about it in the Beginner's Thread and couldn't pinpoint a cause, so I chalked it up to an isolated bad stick.

I decided to give the Dominican Maduro a spin tonight - had almost the exact same problems. Couldn't get it to light. When I finally did, it would not stay light. It ended up being a pretty frustrating cycle of relighting, purging, constantly drawing to keep it lit, rinse and repeat. As you can imagine, wasn't a very pleasant experience .

My humidor is (and has been) about 67% RH. I'm no pro, but even with my imperfect lighting technique I've smoked a few sticks from the same humidor between the two bad Taboo sticks with no problems. So what do you guys think? Are they finnicky cigars that don't put up with beginners? Or could I have gotten a cruddy batch?
pm sent requesting more info.

The Lanceros have been the only known problem with staying lit. On the shipment we received this week, we increased the rg from 40 to 42 and this has made a huge difference and they are very tasty. We only have them in SFO/BC, not HSG at this time.
Also, we call in our local customers on every shipment for extensive visual and actual smoke/quality control testing. (We seem to have plenty of volunteers since everyone smokes for free! lol) Since we have been doing this, we are confident that 99% of all Taboo Cigars shipped to you are in superb condition. We also started packing all shipments in our humidor so they smell humidor fresh upon arrival to your home or office. Taboo has grown at a steady rate this last year and we are currently increasing the size of our humidor to meet the demand for our cigars.
As always, we take care of all of our customers like family and I am waiting on a reply from our friend here. If you are not completely satisfied with our service or product, please contact us immediately. Your business is very much appreciated.

Have a wonderful day Inmates and may God Bless our troops!
Rob, Patrick and Dan

Rob (US NAVY, USS OHIO SSBN726B)
Patrick (AIR FORCE)
Dan ( ??........ Wolfman?)
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #17
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I just got my sampler pack from Taboo the other day, and they all arrived fresh. I had one right away and put the others in my humidor to rest and the one I had was very nice!
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #18
Taboo Cigars
www.TabooCigars.com

Trading: (9)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Taboo Cigars has a spectacular aura aboutTaboo Cigars has a spectacular aura about

Oh yes, we may be launching our new website today or tomorrow. I ask all of you "review experts" to please post reviews on our new website. Every product can be review and rated 1-5 stars. I thank you in advance for your time! Cigar Asylum will be the first forum to know when it is ready and expect to see some very nice Auctions. We will have multilevel pricing so, the coupon %'s won't be as high, but the prices will still be great due to the new pricing structure that you will see.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #19
hornitosmonster
Cowboys Fan

First Name: Isaac
Trading: (4)
Partagas
hornitosmonster is on a distinguished road

Never had any issues with Taboo cigars. Were the cigars close to your beads/humidifier? If you do not rotate them around I find that the closest cigars to humidifier source tend to be a tad bit more wet then the others.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Chingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornitosmonster View Post
Never had any issues with Taboo cigars. Were the cigars close to your beads/humidifier? If you do not rotate them around I find that the closest cigars to humidifier source tend to be a tad bit more wet then the others.
This one was actually the farthest (well relatively, it's a small humidor) and had been left in the cello.

Taboo - thanks for the PM, I will check it right now.