Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default Dissappointing smoke.

So last night I asked my wife to bring me a cigar I've never had before, and to remove the band so I didn't know what cigar I was smoking. I like to do that so I can go into a smoke with no expectations.

She brought me the stick and it was a box pressed Maduro, the outside was like dry paper, the foot was about the same, it was obviously dried out. But she had already cut it for me so I figured what the hell, smoked it and there was alot of spice, no real redeeming flavor. Hell the cigar had almost no smell whatsoever before I lit it. I got about halfway before I asked for the band, it was a Padron anniversary 1964 . I got it from a place with locked Humidors where the little old lady behind the counter takes out the cigars and puts them in a bag for you after you point at them from behind the glass, I didnt want to offend her by taking them out of the bag and squeezing them or smelling them. Next time I'll know better.

I also got 2 Oliva V, and 2 illusione mks from there
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dissappointing smoke.

That's a shame because from what I remember of the Padron 1964 I smoked it was pretty darn good! I say try and get your hands on anthother and give it another go....

They are pretty good sticks!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

That is an awesome idea, I should have the wife pull out a stick for me.
She would have no idea what she is grabbing so it would be a true experiment other than me knowing what cigars are in there.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
She would have no idea what she is grabbing so it would be a true experiment other than me knowing what cigars are in there.
Make sure she knows how to remove the band without jacking up the wrapper, lfmf.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

It's funny, when you described that I was thinking you had a Padron Ann. They can BE moist and such, but
they do look and act dry throughout a wide range of conditions. And sometimes they ARE just spicy and harsh.
But it sounds like conditions at the store were a joke. People DO steal those smokes a lot.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
Make sure she knows how to remove the band without jacking up the wrapper, lfmf.
Good point, I am actually too worried she will grab an HTF cigar I am saving.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
It's funny, when you described that I was thinking you had a Padron Ann. They can BE moist and such, but
they do look and act dry throughout a wide range of conditions. And sometimes they ARE just spicy and harsh.
But it sounds like conditions at the store were a joke. People DO steal those smokes a lot.
Oh dear, I would hate to think that cigar was supposed to taste like that, I'll be the only one on earth that thinks the Padron anni is a dog rocket. I'll pull out one of the Olivas and see what it's like.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Oh dear, I would hate to think that cigar was supposed to taste like that, I'll be the only one on earth that thinks the Padron anni is a dog rocket. I'll pull out one of the Olivas and see what it's like.
The one I had was like that.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I don't understand all the hype with Padron's. I liked it, but I think my expectations were too high after all the raving about them. You'd think Jesus himself rolled it.

Shane -- What is HTF?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

Don't you see this is a setup? You told your wife to prepare a smoke for you, you buy it at a store that's operated by another female.. and the smoke tastes crappy. Coincidence? I don't think so!

fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I don't understand all the hype with Padron's. I liked it, but I think my expectations were too high after all the raving about them. You'd think Jesus himself rolled it.

Shane -- What is HTF?
I recently had my first Padron x000 series(?), a 2000 maddie that I thought was worth three times what they go for.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Honestly if that cigar was supposed to be like that I'd have to question the sanity of some reviewers. There is just no way anyone could sit down with that and think "Man this is amazing".
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post

Shane -- What is HTF?
Answered for ya Shane......Hard To Find
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Honestly if that cigar was supposed to be like that I'd have to question the sanity of some reviewers. There is just no way anyone could sit down with that and think "Man this is amazing".
You can't even consider a cigar that was kept the way this one was. It's much like reviewing a Marlboro you found down in the heater vent of the truck.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Well even if the shop had them stored correctly, keep in mind. Many of us around here have had some 93 and 94 rated gems that we just didn't care for in the least bit.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Just because the Padron Anni's are so highly reviewed, doesn't mean it's going to be your favorite as well.

Personally, one of the most solid sticks I have ever smoked, and I have had 6-7 of them now is a $0.80 cheapo handmade. It's not complex but good flavor and to me, that's good enough.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
But she would learn the quantity of cigars!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you're saying, Derrick. I enjoy lots of cheapos, too.
I've seen cigars that are so dry they crumble and ones that literally had yellow mushrooms growing on them. My point is that you can't smoke a cigar like that and consider it a representation of the marca any more than if you dipped a well-cared-for cigar in dogsh1t.
That's why we invest so much time and care in keeping our cigars properly. It's why we spend so many hours learning and fussing and wrestling to learn to keep our cigars properly.
If we go through all that and bypass it by buying a poorly kept cigar (no disrespect to Isaiah, he noticed the cigar was poorly kept), we're gonna get what we pay for. I'd have to look long and far to find a guy who's going to enjoy poorly kept, dried out crunchy cigars. That being the case, it's hard to employ "smoke what you like" in this case.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I'm more impressed with the fact that your wife will go and pick you out a stick and even cut it for you. I get resistance sometimes if I just ask for a drink.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I'm more impressed with the fact that your wife will go and pick you out a stick and even cut it for you. I get resistance sometimes if I just ask for a drink.
She's a wonderful woman, She fully supports my hobby and even sits down and smokes with me. Unfortunately she likes Acid's, Makers Mark, and any other overpriced infused stick. I think I'll keep her anyway though.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
She's a wonderful woman, She fully supports my hobby and even sits down and smokes with me. Unfortunately she likes Acid's, Makers Mark, and any other overpriced infused stick. I think I'll keep her anyway though.
My woman is the same way. She likes CAO Flavors and ACID Blondies... lol
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote