Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LP Unico Papas Fritas

If you can get past the mental block of a short filler cigar being categorized as a premium hand rolled cigar, which the PF is not a sole short filler nor is is quickly slammed together that is typical of short fillers, it is a fire cracker and IMO genius not because of the concept, as the vast majority of companies do it, but DE takes it to the next level.

A very good interview and explanation from Saka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLsHk2D65Os

One unsolicited tip I would offer is to let it be a slow burner. I'm a fast smoker and I can get 45 mins out of one and the cooler it stays you will notice it being not necessarily multidimensional but shall we say 1.5 dimensional.

Around here they go for about $5.50 each after tax and I would not hesitate to buy them at all as I know each and every time they are going to perform flawlessly. Charging up to a buck more for a MUWAT Bait Fish vs the PF does not compute with me. I think more people would be willing to give them a shot if they were available as singles as well as the $22-$25 range on an unknown is more than most smokers are willing to gamble.

YMMV and very nice review sir.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Smoked one today, and it was one of the better NC cigars I have smoked in awhile. If they were 3 bucks apiece, I might buy a bunch of 'em.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #23
bstarrs
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Braeden
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
bstarrs is on a distinguished road

I know it's baeting a dead horse but for me being a solely CC smoker to this point I don't get the 20 plus bucks for a 4 pack of mixed filler petit coronas. It just doesn't make sense to me coming from the CC world where boxes of 25 mixed filler can come out to <2 a stick... Thanks for the review though
bstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarrs View Post
I know it's baeting a dead horse but for me being a solely CC smoker to this point I don't get the 20 plus bucks for a 4 pack of mixed filler petit coronas. It just doesn't make sense to me coming from the CC world where boxes of 25 mixed filler can come out to <2 a stick... Thanks for the review though
Agree and disagree. I have a few of those cheap boxes from the island south of Miami, but the I can tell you from experience tha the Papas Fritas is a much better cigar.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
bstarrs
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Braeden
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
bstarrs is on a distinguished road

I don't know. The PL Panatela is pretty awesome for what a costs, and the new Quintero isn't too shabby. I'll check one of these out when I find one.
bstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
milhouse
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
milhouse is on a distinguished road

nice review. i think the papas fritas is great, it gives you the LP profile in a quick smoke. Now if LP would make a corona in the 9 & 52,

this smoke earned a spot next to the short story maduro & the tatuaje petite cazadore as a go to (NC) when I don't have much time. the illlusione rothchildes is a touch bigger, but is almost there as well.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
crgcpro
PGA Professional

First Name: Bart
Trading: (1)
HdM
crgcpro is on a distinguished road

They are a little one dimensional but I like them when I want a strong short smoke with some good flavor.
crgcpro is offline   Reply With Quote