Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Mosca's Chicken a la Grande

I agree completely. This is one that soon enough I'll be able to make without even thinking about.

It always seems after you get the oil nice and hot you really need to crank that stove as high as possible if you want proper browning and non-dry chicken.

Each time I move it up a bit more I get a better result, Next time it goes up all the way and it should be perfect.

I really haven't played around with broiling it, maybe I should but I'm getting pretty good results with a large flat bottomed pan and the stove top.

I also like that each time it gets made I can do it a hell of a lot quicker. Soon this could be a regular thing.

I'm always looking for more good chicken recipes
Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #22
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I use the oven because that's the best pans I have for the size requirements, namely a large glass pyrex dish.
But the stovetop is MUCH easier to monitor and manipulate and control.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Had this again today, I've got it down for sure. I was pretty hungry so I didn't take the time to brown it too much. But in a quick pinch I've got a nice pound and a half of chicken breast in a bowl with TONS of juice. It's almost like a soup, delicious.

Just took all of the ingredients, wing it and damn it's good. I'd call it a 10-12 minute meal.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
JPH
Ted Peffer

Trading: (0)
JPH is on a distinguished road

I'll try this one OLS.
JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am thawing out a container of this tonight. I know what lunch holds for Thursday and Friday.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #26
JPH
Ted Peffer

Trading: (0)
JPH is on a distinguished road

I made it this evening... Really did come out great... I did chicken 2 ways for comparison and this blew the standard fried chicken out of the water... Good call OLS
JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #27
OLS
Suck It

I be eatin up on some for lunch today....this is one of those 'the longer it sits" dishes like gumbo and red beans.
It is really fantastic. Just marinatin' away in the lil tub. Glad to hear you made it Jerms, I sure didn't invent it,
but I had it for the first time in the spring in New Orleans and I thought, oh man, this is gonna be my new thing.
And it is, lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
OLS
Suck It

As an aside, from replies previously given, I really have found that I get the best results from creating the dish as
laid out, but then pulling the breast meat halfway through, only returning the meat to the dish in the last few
minutes. If you do the dish right, you can easily end up with dry breast meat. If you pull it out for half of the
cooking, you end up with something not unlike heaven in the end.

Of course, you can do it like Bill, ONLY use breast meat, and therefore only cook it for 1/3 the time.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #29
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

I do take out the breast meat though for reducing the wine. I'll take it out reduce it a good bit then toss it back in. It really helps not drying out the chicken.

Really the only way you can screw this up is drying out the chicken. Besides that it's really just different degrees of greatness.

I bought like 4 pounds of chicken breast, going to probably cook it all at once and freeze it.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #30
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

They made basically the same thing on America's Test Kitchen this past weekend. I have some chicken thigh/leg quarters in the freezer. Might be time to break them out.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #31
OLS
Suck It

Tonight's action...walked 3.8 miles to the store for the excercise part of the new paradigm,
got about 6 lbs of chicken, froze half of it, then whipped up a serious batch, the best browning
I have ever gotten. I will need more wine after one more batch. I have been buying these
"one-glass bottles" that come in a 4 pack....cheap and good for the cookin. SHAZAAMM!!
Those roasted garlic pods MELTED in my mouth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken ala grande.jpg (116.4 KB, 686 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #32
OLS
Suck It

I don't know what it is about this dish, I lust after the cooking experience every Friday night.
This Friday night, I had no chicken thawed, so it was a Saturday Morning kind of deal. Not
a bad batch, I made extra juice for the pasta. I never seem to have the right mixture for
maximum effect. All wings and a few thighs.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calg batch 4.jpg (122.8 KB, 689 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #33
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

this was Breakfast today for me
Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
this was Breakfast today for me
Did you stay over Brad's last night?

I made a similar version of this earlier in the week. Turned out awesome. Since I only made two leg/thigh quarters, I just roasted the pieces still in the fry pan. After they were done, I removed the chicken from the pan, put back on a med-high flame and reduced the liquid some, then added a chunk of butter off heat and let it melt into the sauce. Mmm, mmm good.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #35
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Nope, great minds think alike

Sounds tasty Bob
Old 12-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #36
OLS
Suck It

I probably should have reduced my juice some, with the chicken out of the pan. It's not bad at all, but it looks a little
juicy now that I look back at it. And considering half of that is olive oil, well I don't have to say much more
about that. Damn good batch, though. I am gonna stop here in a bit so I don't burn out on it. It's just so much
fun to make.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #37
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I pulled out a package of 4 leg/thigh quarters to make this tomorrow. Gotta use up that white wine.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Took a extra day to make, but another batch is in the oven right now. House is smelling so good. Added a can of artichoke hearts too cuz that's how I roll.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #39
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

I will have to try this...it sounds
Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #40
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Yes, those pics look great, I will give it a go too. But my wife and I love our veggies and pasta so I will probably add a bunch of fresh spinach, mushrooms and zuchini to the end results.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote