Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #2281
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Justin, I am not sure how to react to your purchase. Its people like you who will keep film going, I guess.
It certainly adds an entire new dimension to photography and photographic knowledge. You will be damn sure
you are ready to expose when you finally do. Whatever you do don't get vats, chemicals and an enlarger, OK?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #2282
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Lol ill be taking my film to a local place that does it. I ordered one roll of Fuji porta 400H color film also. I'm mostly interested in the B&W though. That's where film blows digital away. I was gonna get a canon ae1 body which is mf only and get a 50mm lens for it but decided to get a newer eos film body so I can use all the lenses I have now, except the fisheye.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #2283
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Brad you can pick the theme this week.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #2284
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Lol ill be taking my film to a local place that does it. I ordered one roll of Fuji porta 400H color film also. I'm mostly interested in the B&W though. That's where film blows digital away. I was gonna get a canon ae1 body which is mf only and get a 50mm lens for it but decided to get a newer eos film body so I can use all the lenses I have now, except the fisheye.
I still have several of my Nikon F3s and lenses. Every once in a while I pull them out dust them off, and run a roll fo film thru them for old times sake.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #2285
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, you can pick up Canon AE-1s in the street these days.
I almost bought one JUST the other day, but it was the lenses that made me pause, too.
Hell, I had a $150 Nikon D200 in my basket at Adorama this morning, and in the time it took
me to browse a few reviews to make sure I wanted it, some other A-hole got it. (not THIS A-hole, lol)
I stood up, stomped and cursed so loud it made our bedbug dog bark down the hall.
I was fuming. I definitely have N.A.S. something fierce. I remember when I would just buy
a cheap used P&S once a year.

Theme for next week is French Quarter Festival pics.

LOL

OK, how about flowers while they are everywhere?

I was gonna say Angry Dogs, since every time I go out lately I am capturing angry dogs in wonderful crisp Nikon color, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #2286
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I still have a Pentax K-1000 with a stuck shutter stashed away somewhere. Likely not worth the money to have it fixed, or maybe a hard smack upside the body could get it working again???????? Hmmmm...... I loved that camera; cheap, all it had was a light meter mechanism to give you an idea as to the exposure, and I think depth of field preview and that was it. The rest was up to you. It took some nice pics
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #2287
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Yeah, you can pick up Canon AE-1s in the street these days.
I almost bought one JUST the other day, but it was the lenses that made me pause, too.
Hell, I had a $150 Nikon D200 in my basket at Adorama this morning, and in the time it took
me to browse a few reviews to make sure I wanted it, some other A-hole got it. (not THIS A-hole, lol)
I stood up, stomped and cursed so loud it made our bedbug dog bark down the hall.
I was fuming. I definitely have N.A.S. something fierce. I remember when I would just buy
a cheap used P&S once a year.

Theme for next week is French Quarter Festival pics.

LOL

OK, how about flowers while they are everywhere?

I was gonna say Angry Dogs, since every time I go out lately I am capturing angry dogs in wonderful crisp Nikon color, lol.

Not too many flowers blooming in still freezing cold Michigan, but I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #2288
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #2289
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

And you can see that damn jammed up shutter to the right

Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #2290
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

No depth of field preview on that, but you could set the ISO from 64 all the way up to 3200. I remember shooting with 1000 ISO film, and it was pretty grainy, even from Kodak.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #2291
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I love grain on B&W film though.
I thought about picking up some ilford 3200 B&W, still might at some point.

I plan on going back and finishing up my bachelors degree and changing my minor to photography from political science since i only have one have one class completed for that minor.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #2292
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
I still have a Pentax K-1000 with a stuck shutter stashed away somewhere. Likely not worth the money to have it fixed, or maybe a hard smack upside the body could get it working again???????? Hmmmm...... I loved that camera; cheap, all it had was a light meter mechanism to give you an idea as to the exposure, and I think depth of field preview and that was it. The rest was up to you. It took some nice pics
If there's no place local. This place is local to me. I have no clue on cost. I know alot of people here swear by them though from repairs all the way down to detail cleaning of their gear. http://www.sptsjaxfl.com/
Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #2293
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Looking and reading about how easy it is to develop B&W film at home...
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #2294
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
If there's no place local. This place is local to me. I have no clue on cost. I know alot of people here swear by them though from repairs all the way down to detail cleaning of their gear. http://www.sptsjaxfl.com/
This!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #2295
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:

Looking and reading about how easy it is to develop B&W film at home...
Been there, done that. Unfortunately I sold all of my darkroom equipment a while back or you could have it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #2296
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Started shooting with my first SLR, a Nikon FG-20, when I was a kid and went through a handful of film cameras. Remember getting an Nikon EM just because it had a power winder and looked cool, not really considering it had little manual functions.
Have worked in community newspapers since graduating from J-school, and spent the bulk of the 90s shooting with an F3 and F-801s. Also spent far too many Sundays in a poorly ventilated darkroom processing film.
While I miss some aspects of film, I've moved on. I definitely don't miss those chemical-induced headaches.
Salvaged all the darkroom gear when our paper went full digital, thinking I'd build a darkroom in the basement,but ended up selling it for a song at a garage sale.
Don't shoot a whole lot since moving up to management and do miss that part, though trying to get out more.
My son has now been bitten by the bug and it kinda cool to see him find his way, creatively, making some of the same technical mistakes I made years ago. He took an intro to communication tech course last semester and they actual taught him darkroom work, which surprised me. Now, he has dusted off my old film cameras and always asking for more film.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #2297
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

There will always be some need for film, it seems. I saw some guy at a parade here, he was from the media apparently, shooting pics using a really sweet Hasselblad.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #2298
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

I don't know about now, but the last I heard Nat. Geo still required all submissions to be slide. Not sure if it could be Fuji or it had to be Kodachrome. Most of us were using Fujichrome 100 pushed to 120 or 180 back when I was shooting a lot of nature stuff.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #2299
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I don't know about now, but the last I heard Nat. Geo still required all submissions to be slide. Not sure if it could be Fuji or it had to be Kodachrome. Most of us were using Fujichrome 100 pushed to 120 or 180 back when I was shooting a lot of nature stuff.

IIRC, the last roll of Kodachrome was produced in 2009. And I took a photography class back in 1983 when I was in 9th grade, it covered only black and white but I really enjoyed it. It was cool to learn all of the things that you can do in the darkroom. It was kind of a PITA to open the film cartridge and thread the film onto that reel and put it into the developer tank canister, all in pitch darkness.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #2300
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Yep. Kodachrome is gone. The go to now if you want Kodak is ektachrome