Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #41
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Red Sox, the Hindenburg, a boat anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
The '69 Cubs?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #42
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

One thing you have to admit . . . last night was the most exciting, entertaining, and fun ending to a regular-season in baseball, ever. It's like Bobby Thompson hit a home run to win the pennant three different times, in three different games, in three different cities.

We will remember this September for a loooooooooong time.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #43
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The Sox are a great club, as are the Braves, but it's nice to see a couple clubs who aren't sinking like a rock going into the playoffs. If your team is that systemically puked up, there's no way you're gonna pull it togther to make an entertaining stand in the playoffs.
I'm excited about this year's playoff lineup, and thrilled that the Buccos extended their sub .500 streak to what, 64 years?
Ahh, only 19 years. I had to go check. I've just grown accustomed to them losing.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #44
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Odd you should mention the Pirates, Scott. For reasons I will never understand, my father was a Pirate fan, though how a peckerwood from the sticks of Hickory NC became one is a mystery. He was on his deathbed when Bill Mazeroski hit that homer in Game 7 against the Yankees, so at least he got that before the end.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #45
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

I think I'll take up the Rays for the post season.

and yes, that was most certainly a september to remember for braves and red sox fans...
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #46
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
I think I'll take up the Rays for the post season.

Good for you. The Rays need somebody to pull for them, since it seems obvious nobody in Tampa gives much of a damn.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #47
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Good for you. The Rays need somebody to pull for them, since it seems obvious nobody in Tampa gives much of a damn.
I figure it follows the sames rules as driving in Boston. IF you can cut me off, then you deserve to be in front of me (good luck with that)... and if you can't then you deserve to stay behind

Red Sox put on the emergency flashers and drove in the granny lane for a month, so I've got no hard feelings for the Rays shooting past, and wish em the best in sending the Yankees home for vacation a few days early
Old 09-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #48
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Francis, you are the oddest Red Sox fan I've ever encountered, in a good way. Boston is notorious for being single-minded in its sports fandom; if their team is not in it, they don't care. A national game that will draw a 10-share in New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Seattle will pull in a 3 up there. Only Southern Cal rivals them in this, and that's more because people in LA don't give a crap about any of it.

Which was my point regarding the Rays. Both Michael Kay and John Sterling, the TV and radio voices of the Yankees, noted that the only BAD thing about that last night of baseball was the fact that only 28,000 fans showed up in Tampa to watch their team fight for the playoffs. They called it a disgrace, and went so far as to avow the town does not deserve a team at all.

Say what you will, Fenway is packed every game.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #49
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

It's the pink hats that don't know jack **** about baseball that fill Fenway,they only go to drink,do the wave and sing Sweet Caroline.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #50
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
It's the pink hats that don't know jack **** about baseball that fill Fenway,they only go to drink,do the wave and sing Sweet Caroline.
Well, you'd know better than me, brother. And FYI, I'm sure it's no surprise that Yankee Stadium has more than its fair share of drunken @$$holes in the seats also. But the wave was never big there, and they're waiting around to sing "New York, New York" . . . if they're still conscious.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #51
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
But the wave was never big there, and they're waiting around to sing "New York, New York" . . . if they're still conscious.
I want to be a part of it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #52
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Odd you should mention the Pirates, Scott. For reasons I will never understand, my father was a Pirate fan, though how a peckerwood from the sticks of Hickory NC became one is a mystery. He was on his deathbed when Bill Mazeroski hit that homer in Game 7 against the Yankees, so at least he got that before the end.
Should I be so blessed to go out after the second greatest home run ever. I can't imagine there will ever be one greater than than one your Dad got.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #53
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is BigAsh when you want to laugh at him???
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #54
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Where is BigAsh when you want to laugh at him???
Out buying Phillies gear.........
Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #55
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Out buying Phillies gear.........
Touche brother...touche!!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #56
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
The pink hats allow us to afford the second highest payroll in baseball.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #57
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
The pink hats allow us to afford the second highest payroll in baseball.
And were did that get the Sox,third place in the East.
Boston 160 million payroll
Tampa 41 million payroll
A bunch of fat cats that want to hang around the club house drinking, and ***** about everything
Watch the dirt that comes out in the next few weeks?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #58
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Should have added the Colts in here instead of the Hindenberg.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #59
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Francis, you are the oddest Red Sox fan I've ever encountered, in a good way. Boston is notorious for being single-minded in its sports fandom; if their team is not in it, they don't care. A national game that will draw a 10-share in New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Seattle will pull in a 3 up there. Only Southern Cal rivals them in this, and that's more because people in LA don't give a crap about any of it.

Which was my point regarding the Rays. Both Michael Kay and John Sterling, the TV and radio voices of the Yankees, noted that the only BAD thing about that last night of baseball was the fact that only 28,000 fans showed up in Tampa to watch their team fight for the playoffs. They called it a disgrace, and went so far as to avow the town does not deserve a team at all.

Say what you will, Fenway is packed every game.
hahah, well erm, thanks. Tho I will admit I am somewhat regionally focused when it comes to my sports affiliations. Were the Yankees not involved (an enemy remaining to be slain), I would probably be a little more apathetic about the games. But given that I don't really have access to watch them, that also serves to dull my interest

But you are right about the stadium being packed. unfortunately that means that its been years since I've actually gone to a game in person, because it's become too !$#@!^#@$&)@#$^ expensive. Long as the place is packed, they can keep hiking the prices

Really is a shame the Rays can't bring in more fans, even after their near miss a few years back in the world series. They're a good ball club and could probably do fun things if they had a bit more revenue.