Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Partagas Spanish Rosado Mitico

Been slacking off on writing reviews, so thought I would do one on a tasty looking little number I've been wanting to try.

Let's meet the guest of honor:

Partagas Spanish Rosado
Mitico 7x49
Wrapper: Honduran
Filler: Dominican

Deceptively beautiful.

Cigar has a nice light brown color. Has a couple of large veins running in the top 1/3. The stick is firm, no give, and the wrapper is rough to the touch.

Pre light aroma is a cedary, grassy aroma. Clipped great. The prelight draw is very tight, this could be trouble. The taste is the above mentioned cedary grass with a little tea flavor.

Lit up easily, but the draw is really firm. The flavor is a little citrusy and the burn is ragged through the first few minutes. Not much smoke comes off this stick. Ash is light gray and firm.

After about 10 minutes, the burn is really "wavy". The draw is still tight, I am going to try to open it up a bit with a draw tool. Flavor is as above, but very light.

Success the draw tool worked!

As we hit the 30 minute mark, the draw has really opened up. I really wish there was more smoke of this beauty. Not much at rest or on the pre draw. The burn has evened out on an angle.

Flavor is still mild, but the citrusy taste is still there. Cinnamon has made an appearance, but it is hard to pull out the underlying flavors. Mainly getting leathery tobacco. Just had an almost "Candy" like draw. very sweet! Unfortunately, it disappeared as fast as it appeared.

The ash was holding solid at an inch until it dropped on it's own in my lap.

Here we are at 50...

Draw is almost perfect now and the smokiness has picked up! Sweetness is all gone and just a light leathery tobacco flavor now.

Touched up at 75 minutes as the burn went ragged again. Flavor has not changed. getting a little nic buzz. I think this may be from smoking too fast early on, trying to work through the tight draw. It has smoked much faster than I thought a cigar this size would.

Harshness has started to creep in. I let it die at about 83 minutes.

Very disappointing cigar from a flavor standpoint. The sweetness and citrus was great, it just didn't last long enough or really come to the forefront. I really wanted to like this cigar. It looks fantastic and I am a fan of the Partagas Naturals and Black.

Still have 9 in the box and I will give this one another shot.

Final tally...

Overall Appearance and Presentation 18/20
Lighting and Burning 11/15
Construction Properties 25/30
Taste Properties 24/35

Overall 78
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Partagas Spanish Rosado Mitico

Good review. I used to smoke a lot of these ~2 years ago. I thought they were excellent and really liked the flavor. I would give one of the other 9 a shot.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I like the rosados myself. I do prefer the RP Rosado a tad more, although locally they can't be found. I see them on the internet at times. Try one if you can hunt them down.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
bajaraider

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I only recently found this guy.
I really enjoy this cigar line. I have not had the 7x49 though. I have become a huge fan of a Rosado wrapper! Great review though! Definitely, if you have not by now, give the other 9 a try!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
diesel

In my early days of cigars, this one was in my constant rotation. I enjoyed it back then but I fear as my palette has change I will not like this. I will have to try one soon as I have forgotten about this guy.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I've never tried this vitola but I've always got some of the san augustin in my humi. Love the rosado.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

I have to say I have smoked a couple more out of this box. Didn't have any draw issues with them, but the flavor profile was pretty much the same as I noted in the review.

Good stick when I just want to smoke something.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
bajaraider

I smoked the big 60 or so ring gauge one last night. It obviously does not have near the flavor or the smaller gauge smokes, but it was not bad... I definitely would prefer to stick with the smaller gauge in this cigar.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
Been slacking off on writing reviews, so thought I would do one on a tasty looking little number I've been wanting to try.

Let's meet the guest of honor:

Partagas Spanish Rosado
Mitico 7x49
Wrapper: Honduran
Filler: Dominican

Deceptively beautiful.

Cigar has a nice light brown color. Has a couple of large veins running in the top 1/3. The stick is firm, no give, and the wrapper is rough to the touch.

Pre light aroma is a cedary, grassy aroma. Clipped great. The prelight draw is very tight, this could be trouble. The taste is the above mentioned cedary grass with a little tea flavor.

Lit up easily, but the draw is really firm. The flavor is a little citrusy and the burn is ragged through the first few minutes. Not much smoke comes off this stick. Ash is light gray and firm.

After about 10 minutes, the burn is really "wavy". The draw is still tight, I am going to try to open it up a bit with a draw tool. Flavor is as above, but very light.

Success the draw tool worked!

As we hit the 30 minute mark, the draw has really opened up. I really wish there was more smoke of this beauty. Not much at rest or on the pre draw. The burn has evened out on an angle.

Flavor is still mild, but the citrusy taste is still there. Cinnamon has made an appearance, but it is hard to pull out the underlying flavors. Mainly getting leathery tobacco. Just had an almost "Candy" like draw. very sweet! Unfortunately, it disappeared as fast as it appeared.

The ash was holding solid at an inch until it dropped on it's own in my lap.

Here we are at 50...

Draw is almost perfect now and the smokiness has picked up! Sweetness is all gone and just a light leathery tobacco flavor now.

Touched up at 75 minutes as the burn went ragged again. Flavor has not changed. getting a little nic buzz. I think this may be from smoking too fast early on, trying to work through the tight draw. It has smoked much faster than I thought a cigar this size would.

Harshness has started to creep in. I let it die at about 83 minutes.

Very disappointing cigar from a flavor standpoint. The sweetness and citrus was great, it just didn't last long enough or really come to the forefront. I really wanted to like this cigar. It looks fantastic and I am a fan of the Partagas Naturals and Black.

Still have 9 in the box and I will give this one another shot.

Final tally...

Overall Appearance and Presentation 18/20
Lighting and Burning 11/15
Construction Properties 25/30
Taste Properties 24/35

Overall 78

That Ashtray's got some serious Mileage on it. How long have you had that thing!
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

I believe it is 50 yrs old or so. It was my Dad's. He was a pipe BOTL, sadly though, never got to share one with him. So the ashtray lives on.

Somewhere, there's an ashtray thread where someone describes it in a "feminine" way.