Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #101
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NHL '10 - '11 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
got mine also this week. Selling half my season. Too hard with work and micahs hockey to make that many games
Any Penguins ticket holders thinking of doing the same, PM me

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #102
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Just noticed that some random guy in the "Entourage" intro is wearing a Chicago Wolves jersey.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #103
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcode View Post
Restricted free-agent center Peter Mueller re-signed with the Colorado Avalanche on Friday, agreeing to a two-year contract.

Hopefully the youth movement will get the AVS back on top of the west.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...lanche-mueller
So did this put them over the minimum cap? I heard on local radio they were in position to not meet the min and had few if any roster spots.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #104
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

NHL coming down on the first Kovalchuk deal..
Quote:
Devils penalized over Kovalchuk deal -ESPN.com news services

The New Jersey Devils ended up with Ilya Kovalchuk in the end, but it is costing them more and more.

Since an arbitrator found that the team circumvented the collective bargaining agreement by trying to sign the forward to a front-loaded 17-year, $102 million deal in July, the NHL handed down a penalty on Monday.

The Devils were fined $3 million and must forfeit their third-round draft choice in 2011 and a first-rounder in one of the next four drafts. The team can choose which draft and must tell the league following the conclusion of the Stanley Cup finals in that year.

The Devils will not see their salary cap reduced as a result of the fine.

In a settlement with the league, the Devils were able to sign Kovalchuk to a 15-year, $100 million contract.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello issued a statement in response to the ruling.

"We were today advised of the ruling by the Commissioner with respect to the Kovalchuk matter," the statement read. "We disagree with the decision. We acted in good faith and did nothing wrong. We will have no further comment."

The league said in a statement that it now considers the matter closed.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #105
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I thought the deal between the NHLPA and the NHL done a couple weeks ago said there would be no reprisals for the prior deals?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #106
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Prior deals. This one was still open apparently. Kind of sad that the devils got hit and other teams skated. Glad this was done though. They were abusing the system and its badfor the game.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #107
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I don't like the ruling. The NHL employs lawyers to prevent loopholes in the collective bargaining, and the Devils took advantage of the lawyers mistakes. I think this is just the NHL trying to blame someone else other than themselves.

The thing I don't get is that the NHL changed the rules of contracts now. So why try and make an example of the team when other teams cannot do this anymore?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #108
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Pleased to see the Avs get both Mueller and Stewart signed before camp....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
So did this put them over the minimum cap? I heard on local radio they were in position to not meet the min and had few if any roster spots.
Nope...think they are just under the minimum.....

For those more knowledgeable than I(not difficult I am sure).... Why 2 years for all the young talent... 2 years for Mueller, Stewart, Yip & Quincey this Summer?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #109
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Christos

Because part of the terms of the k will be that both parties act in goodfaith under the terms of the k. That also means one party will not attempt to exploit a loophole in the k. That is why there is arbitration also. If one party to the k, here the CBA, feels a party is acting in bad faith they can request the arbitrator review.

An independent arbitrator found that these k's are being done to violate one of the essential terms of the CBA which is the cap. The cap that was put in place to kill dynastys. The cap has done this. These k's are attempting to work around the essential agreement of the CBA. Everyone knows this and its why the arbitrator found badfaith. With badfaith comes punishment.

This isnt a single transaction this is an ongoing k and requires goodfaith in actions from both sides, not one party to go FU I found a loophole and as a result screw what we agreed to I am going to exploit you and undermine the whole intent of our agreement
Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #110
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Pleased to see the Avs get both Mueller and Stewart signed before camp....

Nope...think they are just under the minimum.....

For those more knowledgeable than I(not difficult I am sure).... Why 2 years for all the young talent... 2 years for Mueller, Stewart, Yip & Quincey this Summer?
Perhaps anticipating coming changes in the NHLPA contract?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #111
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

My tickets arrived this week!

Looking forward to a great season... let's see if we can wrestle the Cup away from those pesky Blackhawks.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #112
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
My tickets arrived this week!

Looking forward to a great season... let's see if we can wrestle the Cup away from those pesky Blackhawks.
Peksy? Why I oughtta....

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #113
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Christos

Because part of the terms of the k will be that both parties act in goodfaith under the terms of the k. That also means one party will not attempt to exploit a loophole in the k. That is why there is arbitration also. If one party to the k, here the CBA, feels a party is acting in bad faith they can request the arbitrator review.

An independent arbitrator found that these k's are being done to violate one of the essential terms of the CBA which is the cap. The cap that was put in place to kill dynastys. The cap has done this. These k's are attempting to work around the essential agreement of the CBA. Everyone knows this and its why the arbitrator found badfaith. With badfaith comes punishment.

This isnt a single transaction this is an ongoing k and requires goodfaith in actions from both sides, not one party to go FU I found a loophole and as a result screw what we agreed to I am going to exploit you and undermine the whole intent of our agreement
I get all that but still other teams made similar deals and there was no punishment to them. The league changed the rules now to prevent similar deals. The punishment seems excessive for something the league should have foreseen happening.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #114
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I stand behind my assertion that what the Devils did was cheating. The fine and loss of picks seems to confirm that.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #115
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

No argument here, but some orher teams cheated and got away with it.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #116
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

http://www.hockeygiant.com/20100915h...)&utm_content=

More of a classic skate guy, but these are kind of sexy.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #117
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No argument here, but some orher teams cheated and got away with it.
Cheat: to violate rules or regulations.

The CBA is a document, not some idea floating around in the air. Rules are defined within the document. If the document doesn't explicitly prohibit the terms of said contract, it's not cheating. BTW, this is not an argument based upon symantics. It's how the law works.

It's the GMs jobs to do the best they can within the defined rules. Not the rules as they exist in Bettman's brain, or memory; but as they exist in black and white on the document that is the CBA.

"They cheated" is just whining IMO.

Some GMs were more aggressive at using this lack of legal forsight than others. The Devil's were more aggressive and pissed off Bettman. Subsequintly they got pimped. The Devils should appeal the ruling.

P.S. Please don't take this as an attack, its not. It is also not personal nor meant to cause an argument. I just respectfully disagree with your position.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #118
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Not going to waste the time debating you. I will refer you to the arbitrators finding and the penalties leveled. Go take it up with him and people with a lot more knowledge and experience on the matter then either of us. I already discussed this above in very basic terms. The Devils did nothing different then the other teams. The league wanted the loophole closed and to set an example. As part of the agreement with the PA they decided to leave the other Ks alone, not because they were different.

As someone with a law degree and a little more knowledge on K law then you I will respectfully disagree and not discuss this with you further. I have no intrest in banging my head against the wall with you again. Sorry its no fun.

I dont know why I cant resist replying when I know its wasted breath, but I guess I am a masochist.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #119
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Everybody chill with an adult beverage and a cigar...Pre-season games start next week.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #120
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Christos

Mike, I agree with pretty much everything you said, except what I bolded. IMHO, the cap was put in place to allow, and with the minimum cap, make the smaller markets competitive, creating parity. A byproduct of that is difficulty in creating a dynasty. I don't think the league has a problem with dynasties, but with small markets being uncompetitive.

Semantics? Maybe, but that's how I see it, and I think there's a difference.
Closed Thread