Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
SonsofClubDeck

Default LP or CD?

Before I started appreciating music like I do now, I used to be content with buying a CD, ripping it, and then losing it. I sometimes download things that I've never heard, but don't care enough to buy, but now I'm trying to buy as many LPs as I can. I really enjoy owning a physical piece of music and trying to appreciate the artwork and time put into a good record. I've purchased a few LPs lately that have had digital copies in them but haven't really used them.

So what do you prefer: LP's or CD's?

Explain your answer: Its cool to see how other people think. After all: that's my major.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: LP or CD?

I haven't had much, if any, exposure to LPs so I'm going with CDs. They're easy to copy, highly portable, can be enjoyed in more places (home, gym, car, etc...), can be backed up and can be played on various mediums (dvd players, cd players, computers, etc...).
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

LP, you get a warmer sound quality from it without having to throw it through a digital plug-ins. For portability and ease of storage, go CD or digital. I have several thousand LPs and 12" records from when I was a DJ. I have vastly more in digital and CD formats, more than I ever will listen too.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road

LP, hands down. The rich sound quality (even if not via a Japanese pressing) far exceeds anything you will ever get from a CD. Try a Japanese pressing with a high-end system and you'll never want to listen to a CD (and would never even think about an MP3) again.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
ashmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell987 View Post
LP, hands down. The rich sound quality (even if not via a Japanese pressing) far exceeds anything you will ever get from a CD. Try a Japanese pressing with a high-end system and you'll never want to listen to a CD (and would never even think about an MP3) again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
LP, you get a warmer sound quality from it without having to throw it through a digital plug-ins. For portability and ease of storage, go CD or digital.
I agree with both and would like to add I feel with LP's there is a depth and intensity in music the CD lacks.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

LP's. Sound is much richer. The high's are higher and lows are lower. It's the same as hearing music through a tube-type radio transmitter and a digital transmitter. The difference is quite noticable and the sound is much better from the tube xmitter.