Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cigar health issues...do you guys ever worry about it???

Not worried at all, though I only average about 4 sticks a week.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

This has actually been discussed a fair amount. Studies(fwiw) have shown that smoking one or two cigars a day WITHOUT INHALING and WITHOUT CHEWING (holding the cigar in your hands rather than mouth between puffs) will do very little to endanger your health. That being said, everyone is different so you pays your money and you takes your chances. I AM concerned about the health risks of smoking, but I DO believe that the positive far outweighs the negative when it comes to lighting up my pipe or my cigar- AND I do follow the "rulz" mentioned above- including NOT holding my pipe in my mouth between puffs either.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
he said that 1 cigar is like 16 cigs or something like that .
16 cigarettes that you don't inhale.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

No, I don't.

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Yeah, I just said really and that I didn't know that and let it go at that, but he is a Dr and he does smoke, so I took at face value.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This. I once had a dentist try to lecture me about smoking; he was stunned when I told him that you don't inhale cigar smoke.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I worry about this constantly. In fact, I worry about this so much that I am a nervous wreck. The only thing that seems to calm me down is a cigar.

Seriously, cigar smokers should all realize that smoking cigars has some (most think vanishingly small) affect on health, but so does yelling at the TV during a baseball/basketball/hockey/football/futball game/match.

No one gets out of this life alive, kids, so come to terms with it and live the life you want, not the life others would have for you.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since I realized I have an expiration date, I don't really worry about much of anything.
I know if something is right or wrong, whether it's good for me or not. I generally ask others about these sort of things when I'm looking for someone to co-sign my bullsh1t, or help me justify enjoying lots more than is sensibly my due. That's cause I'm a weasel that way.
I found that I can smoke a few pc's a day without any negative reactions. Then I couldn't anymore, so I don't smoke that much. Others can tolerate more, and others less. They can safely figure out what's right for them.

Every second we're closer to expiring. Everything we eat, drink, breathe, or do.
If a few cigars bring joy at the end of a hard day's work, there's not a thing wrong with that, no matter what the studies say. The stress from not enjoying those cigars is likely to be equally as unhealthy.
We all need to enjoy ourselves, and there's plenty of good stuff out there to enjoy. Too much of any of it is bad for us, too little is bad for us. I can usually figure out how much is just right when I want a whole lot more, because a whole lot more ruins the fun of it.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

After 30 some odd years I finally quit smoking, the only reason I quit was because I had the flu and just didn't smoke for 2 weeks, that was it I was done. After that I took up cigars, what can I say I enjoy nicotine, I have no desire to start smoking cigarettes again but I do enjoy my cigars and will keep enjoying them.

My mom was a model of health, never smoked, didn't drink, eat pretty well... she was hit and killed by a car when I was 17, hell she was even on the sidewalk when a piece of #*@* cut the corner going into a parking lot and hit her.

You never know what tomorrow will bring, if anything at all, so enjoy today.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #30
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Not to mention 16 that are void if all the nasty chemicals added to cigarettes
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #31
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
This has actually been discussed a fair amount. Studies(fwiw) have shown that smoking one or two cigars a day WITHOUT INHALING and WITHOUT CHEWING (holding the cigar in your hands rather than mouth between puffs) will do very little to endanger your health. That being said, everyone is different so you pays your money and you takes your chances. I AM concerned about the health risks of smoking, but I DO believe that the positive far outweighs the negative when it comes to lighting up my pipe or my cigar- AND I do follow the "rulz" mentioned above- including NOT holding my pipe in my mouth between puffs either.
Hugh is right on.

I wrote a cigar related article on a website and received a few "cigars will kill you" replies. Here's a link: http://sharpologist.com/2012/05/rela...ar-primer.html

Here's my reply:

Quote:
We all know there are some risks involved in smoking or any tobacco use. However, casual cigar smoking is not considered a significant risk. While commenter Dr. K’s link shows some simple truths about tobacco, it contains some misinformation, it’s misleading, and it does not quantify risk. Similarly you could say driving causes millions of deaths per year. While true, this statement does not quantify what the real risks are. In fact it is often difficult to find pertinent data on cigar smoking. Most tobacco studies fail to quantify cigar smoking risks because their results are muddled with cigarette smokers who also smoke cigars, cigar smokers who use smokeless tobacco, or cigar smokers who are heavy alcohol users/abusers. However, one study is different. The National Cancer Institute did a comprehensive study of over 500,000 men studied for 12 years and concluded that smoking up to 1-2 cigars per day failed to show a significantly increased risk of cancer.

You can read the entire study itself here (Page 22 is a summary chart):
http://www.cancercontrol.cancer.gov/...9_complete.PDF

Or you can read two written summaries here:
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/4/333.long

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/health/ncifaq.htm

That said, most cigar smokers I know smoke 1-2 cigars per week. Some are daily smokers but, the majority are not. I may enjoy 3 or 4 in a day but not smoke again for weeks. There is risk in everything from driving to work to eating fast food for lunch. As with many other things in life, moderation is key. I hope those of you interested in cigars will learn something from this guide. For those of you not interested, please do not take it as my recommendation to be like Winston Churchill and smoke a box of cigars a day.

...although, I'm not going to give you a hard time if you want to smoke a box of cigars per day.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
cben
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chet
Trading: (1)
Punch
cben is on a distinguished road

You never know what tomorrow will bring, if anything at all, so enjoy today.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head Adam. My dad enjoyed his cigars and pipes to the fullist for 50 some years, He never had any health issues at all ( he's 73)
3 months ago he went to bed and woke up 1/2 hour later with a massive stroke and now lives his days in a nursing home. So with that being said, enjoy every day like it was your last.
cben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
bstarrs
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Braeden
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
bstarrs is on a distinguished road

I figure it's much safer than smoking cigarettes so I'm not too worried about it. I've learned that pretty much all indulgences whether it be food, tobacco, alcohol, etc, have a negative impact on health over the long run. Might as well enjoy it while you're here though.
bstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #34
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Not at all.

See - George Burns...
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #35
ysr_racer

Everybody dies of something, except those people that die of nothing.

Nobody gets out alive.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #36
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
This. I once had a dentist try to lecture me about smoking; he was stunned when I told him that you don't inhale cigar smoke.
About 98% of the population...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

aint that the case. This past week alone I had this very same discussion with both my neighbor and a coworker.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
aint that the case. This past week alone I had this very same discussion with both my neighbor and a coworker.
And myself yesterday with my father.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #39
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
The relaxation I get from cigars reduces my personal risk of stress induced stroke tenfold....that's all I nned to know.

I always remind folks of Jack Lalanne.
Picture of health.
Lived to 96.
Was a promoter of juicing.
Swam tugging boats in the San Francisco Bay.
Never smoked.

In contrast, George Burns smoked 10-15 cigars DAILY for over 70 years.
Didn't exercise as walking was tough enough but always maintained his wit and lived to be 100.

Go figure.
Since I average one cigar a day, I need to kick it up a notch to reach that 10-15 a day.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #40
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

I always remind folks of Jack Lalanne.
Picture of health.
Lived to 96.
Was a promoter of juicing.
Swam tugging boats in the San Francisco Bay.
Never smoked.

In contrast, George Burns smoked 10-15 cigars DAILY for over 70 years.
Didn't exercise as walking was tough enough but always maintained his wit and lived to be 100.

Go figure.
Since I average one cigar a day, I need to kick it up a notch to reach that 10-15 a day.
I do worry about it...and I worry about a LOT of other crap too...so worrying will probably kill me 1st.
Carlos, I have been covering your share and mine lately...you're all set.