Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #141
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

Pressed for time again today, so this will need be short and sweet. Last night:

Fordham 60 - Harvard 54 = The most stunning result from these games, and not because I didn't give the Rams a shot in hell. Can you blame me? They haven't won at home against a ranked opponent since 1978, which was before some of you were born.

Seton Hall 75 - U Conn 63 = I've been surprised at how well the Pirates have played so far this year, and the fact that they dominated this game surprises me some also. But I'm not surprised the Huskies lost. I felt they started out over-ranked to begin with, and furthermore felt this would start to manifest itself once they got out of their home state and actually played some decent teams on the road.

Michigan State 63 - Wisconsin 60 (OT) = The Spartans swipe a tough one in Madison, but despite the fact that a tying 3-pointer by the Badgers was disallowed at the 2nd buzzer they did not STEAL it. If Wisconsin had really deserved the victory, maybe they should have hit more that 5 of their first 20+ treys before they "hit" the post-final one.

Alabama 73 - Georgia Tech 48 = Good God, is the Wreck in that bad a shape? Lawsy mercy.

Mississippi 50 - SMU 48 = About what I figured it might be, though awfully low-scoring.

Although there are not a ton of games this evening, there are quite a few that look to be good match-ups . . . too many, in fact, for me to give them all justice. So here's my highlights:

Xavier vs. LaSalle = Have the X-Men gotten over their post-brawl blues? Even if so, LaSalle could give them game.

Auburn vs. Florida State = Going into the season I'd have thought the 'Noles would romp here. However, they've played like crap, so this one interests me, even if only for that.

Georgetown vs. Marquette = Two good teams should give us one good game. Until the Hoyas show me otherwise, I'll stick with them for now.

St. Joseph's vs. Duquesne = The Hawks have been much better than they were last year, yet this still might be some fun.

Tulane vs. UCF = This could be too.

Illinois vs. Northwestern = The Smarty 'Cats have NOT been quite as good as last year, but the Illini have shown they can be vulnerable.

West Virginia vs. Rutgers = And the Mountaineers have also not been as good, while the Scarlet Knights have been 'way up, and fairly down too. If RU shows up, should be close.

Notre Dame vs. Cincinnati = Unlike Xavier, the Bearcats got hot after that fight. The Irish may not be able to cool them off, but keep an eye on this one to see what develops.

Duke vs. Temple = The Owls are decent anyway, though not the mid-major power they've often been in the past. But the Blue Devils may have a bit more of a fight than they'd wish, even if only for the fact that . . . believe it or not . . . they AREN'T PLAYING IN DURHAM!!! How the hell did K let that happen?

Murray State vs. Eastern Kentucky = I won't pick against Joe's Racers until after they give me some reason, but I can see them facing a challenge at home here.

Kansas vs. Kansas State = I'm not sure I need to say much more. KU's played about as expected, while K-State's played better than was thought. Plus, they don't much like each other, in case you didn't know. Look for a war in Allen Fieldhouse, and figure the Jayhawks in a tight one.

Saint Louis vs. Dayton = And figure on much the same here, on a mid-major level.

Syracuse vs. Providence = Just like Dook, the Orange have screwed up again and scheduled a game outside the Dome. Were it many places aside from Rhode Island, I might look for them to take their first loss tonight. That loss will come, but I can't see the Friars handing it to SU.

Iowa vs. Minnesota = In case you haven't noticed, these two "also-rans" in the Big Ten+ have surprised a few people. Both now have ambitions to make the NCAAs come March, and need every conference win they can muster to get there. If nothing else, they should come into this focused.

Sad to say, I've no time for other good ones today, like maybe Indiana State/Northern Iowa or Illinois State/Missouri State to name just two. But feel free to jump in and name them yourselves, fellas! I can use all the help I can get here!

Later then. Enjoy.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #142
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

After that Georgetown comeback, I was so delirious that I offered to take down all of our Christmas ornaments. I don't even remember doing it.

Wild night - Temple upsets Duke.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #143
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Down goes dook!!!!! Wish I'd got to see all the game, but the wife said it was a hot one.

That Michigan St-Wisconsin game was a good one also; enjoyed, and agree with your assessment. That has become a really good rivalry.

Looks like the G'Town game was also a good, close game. Cinci did not have a close game; what, 7-0 since the Brawl?

Murray State had a finish that was closer than the final score showed. Eastern has a decent team, and may beat us in Richmond later on. Hopefully, Aska's hand will be healed up by then. Glad the team can play without an important piece there.

Looks like Providence is giving 'Cuse a game tonight also.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #144
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Hoot!....My Owls upset Duke!!...and I was there.....great game....gotta say the Owls took it to the big bad Blue Devils....outplayed and out hustled 'em!!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #145
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Various computer problems kept me from posting yeasterday, and are delaying me also today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to catch up Saturday.

I will say that, good as it was for the Temple Owls, I'm not so sure how huge an upset it was. Yeah, Cosby U's a little down this season, but remember that I told you from the get-go that I felt the Blue Devils were too highly-ranked when one considers what and who they lost from their program over the last few years, and how iffy the performance of young replacements can be regardless of how touted they may be.

And if you think the above is the ranting of a Dook-hater, keep in mind that in non-conference play I always root for the ACC team . . . though that may change next year, when The Orange hit the league.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #146
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

OK. I have neither the time nor the energy for a complete update, so lemme just hit the highlights over the past few days. On Wednesday 1/4:

Temple 78 - Duke 73 = As stated above, I don't consider this as big an upset as many seem to do. The Owls aren't scared of anybody, and though the Blue Devils will have their typical great season they aren't invincible.

LaSalle 80 - Xavier 70 = With all due respect to LaSalle, my interest here lies in the way these Musketeers have crashed and burned. I really want to see if they can right the ship.

St. Joseph's 84 - Duquesne 82 (OT) = Just a great game between two good mid-majors.

Georgetown 73 - Marquette 70 = The young Hoyas continue to surprise people.

Memphis 69 - Tennessee 51 = In and of itself, this in-state battle holds little interest to me, save that the Tigers may be learning how to play together. But you'll see below why today's action makes this Vol loss notable.

Kansas 67 - Kansas State 49 = I'm not surprised the Jayhawks won, but I did think the 'Cats might make a better showing than this pitiful effort.

Dayton 79 - Saint Louis 72 (OT) = Another of those exciting contests.

Iowa State 77 - Texas 71 = OK, I realize Rick Barnes' "one-and-done" recruits have screwed this program again, but please . . . Iowa State?? And speaking of the state of Iowa . . .

Iowa 64 - Minnesota 62 = It was a good night for those corn-fed hicks.

On Thursday 1/5:

Indiana 73 - Michigan 71 = Another good win for the Hoosiers, though with the way the Wolverines have played at times I'm not sure it's a great one. Personally, I'm glad to see IU's coming back, though it's still too early to know for sure if they are.

DePaul 84 - Pittsburgh 81 = Maybe I should no longer be stunned when the Panthers lose. This time it came due to a 3 with 1.3 seconds left, to a team they should have dominated . . . were Pitt as good as was expected, anyway.

Penn State 65 - Purdue 45 = Firstly, I don't get why the Boilermakers haven't played better. And secondly . . . 45 stinkin' points? WTF? What's with all the football scores in college hoops this year?

Oregon 78 - Stanford 67 = A good night for the Great Northwest, and not one for the Bay Area when you also consider . . .

Oregon State 92 - California 85 = The Pac-12 seem likely to be another clusterfark this year, with teams repeatedly trying to give the lead to somebody else, such as with . . .

UCLA 65 - Arizona 58 = Does this mean the Bruins are finally starting to play up to their pre-season hype, or is it that the Desert 'Cats are starting to play down to their actual abilities?

On Friday 1/6:

Butler 63 - Wright State 62 = A close one for the Bulldogs, who need every W they can steal if they want to get another shot in March.

Valparaiso 73 - Detroit 71 = Pretty much the same story here.

So far today we've seen some fascinating action, including this one referenced above:

Tennessee 67 - Florida 56 = Not only did the sub-par Vols beat the Gators, they beat them fairly handily. OK, so it was in Knoxville, but still. This makes another road loss for Florida, who may be showing they do NOT travel well.

Wake Forest 58 - Virginia Tech 55 = A very good win for the Deacs to kick off their ACC campaign. As these may be few and far between, they need savor each one.

It looks like West Virginia's gonna knock off Georgetown, and Georgia Tech's giving Duke about all they can handle too. I'll be back later with more early finals, and hopefully some previews of weekend action. I say hopefully, because the boss has threatened to come in here and try once again to screw up my computer.

Either way, enjoy.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #147
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

A few more early finals for you:

West Virginia 74 - Georgetown 62 = The Hoyas' climb in the polls takes a step backwards with this huge win for the Mountaineers.

Duke 81 - Georgia Tech 74 = This game was really closer than the final. Dook struggles on the road again, though they do escape with a W over the Wreck.

Xavier 67 - Fordham 59 = The Musketeers get only their 2nd win in their last 7 in the wake of their Bearcat brawl. Meanwhile the Rams follow their stunner over Harvard with a loss to "meh" U Mass, then this.

There's far too many great games scheduled today, so I'll just hit the big ones:

Missouri vs. Kansas State = At this point it's looking like the Manhattan 'Cats will hand the Tigers their first loss of the season. It's not over, but if it holds up it won't be Missou's last loss.

LSU vs. Mississippi = And these Tigers are trying to stomp the Rebels, holding a 20-point lead at the break.

Baylor vs. Texas Tech = The Bears have only a single point edge at the break, and are actually in more of a game than I'd have thought.

Kansas vs. Oklahoma = The Sooners are hanging tough with the Jayhawks in Norman, up by one with 4 minutes to go in the first. It's early, so I'd expect KU to prevail eventually.

North Carolina vs. Boston College = In this ACC opener for both, I'd not expect the Eagles to be able to give the Heels much of a contest, as they've not shown that ability prior to this. Yet I'd not have thought the Yellow Jackets could hang with the Blue Devils either, so there's that. In conference play, anything can happen.

Ohio State vs. Iowa = The Hawkeyes have had a couple of very good, and somewhat unexpected, wins already. If they can take this one from the Buckeyes, it would be their biggest. I don't think they shall, but you never know. OSU has NOT been al-powerful.

Kentucky vs. South Carolina = Nor have the Wildcats, but the 'Cocks have been awfully limp so far. I don't give them a shot in hell in Rupp.

Syracuse vs. Marquette = It's back in the Dome, so you'd have to give the Orange a slight nod. Still, Marquetts has played very well at times, and they might have a shot of knocking off another undefeated today.

Dayton vs. Temple = Can the Owls build upon their huge victory over Duke? This one ought to be close throughout.

Louisville vs. Notre Dame = If the right Cardinals team shows up in the Crum Bucket, I don't give the Irish much of a chance.

Virginia vs. Miami = The Cavaliers have been the surprise of the ACC so far, and the 'Canes have struggled mightily. I'll go with UVA until they show me something otherwise.

U Conn vs. Rutgers = Hey, whaddaya know? The Huskies are once again risking a trip outside the Nutmeg State, and the Scarlet Knights did beat pretty badly the Gators in Piscataway. So anything can happen, even if you claim lightning cannot strike twice.

I'll try to get back later with some more scores and some Sunday games too. Until later then, enjoy.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #148
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Yep, the Hoyas had a tough one today.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #149
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Tough losses in the top 25. UL took one, and I expected them to win over Notre Dame. Gotta say I was surprised about the Florida loss also, even on the road.

Murray State stays undefeated against Austin Peay, on the road. Although, it sure had the feel of a home game; felt like over half of us in attendance were wearing the Blue and Gold. Peay is not good this year, but they played tough, and would not go away. Gotta say, though, I don't understand the top 20 ranking. We've played great, and beat Memphis, but the non-con schedule was dominated by lesser mid-majors or worse. I figure we're no better than 25, but it is nice to get the recognition for the program, and I'm proud of the squad and its new coach.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #150
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Curious to see the rankings today after all the losses.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #151
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Yep, the Hoyas had a tough one today.
$#!+ happens, especially with young teams. But hey, you didn't expect to see them there anyway, so it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Tough losses in the top 25. UL took one, and I expected them to win over Notre Dame. Gotta say I was surprised about the Florida loss also, even on the road.

Murray State stays undefeated against Austin Peay, on the road. Although, it sure had the feel of a home game; felt like over half of us in attendance were wearing the Blue and Gold. Peay is not good this year, but they played tough, and would not go away. Gotta say, though, I don't understand the top 20 ranking. We've played great, and beat Memphis, but the non-con schedule was dominated by lesser mid-majors or worse. I figure we're no better than 25, but it is nice to get the recognition for the program, and I'm proud of the squad and its new coach.
Louisville's been one of those teams that's been hard to figure out all year, though not as badly as Pitt or Memphis or Xavier. So too has the Gators, though not as much as their neighbors the Semiholes.

I agree it's odd to see Murray State up to, I believe, 15th now. On the other hand, I pay damn little attention to the polls until March, and not much then even. Yet if it helps your Racers gain the attention of a few recruits, and maybe a few extra bucks here and there to boot, more power to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Curious to see the rankings today after all the losses.
Like I said, or implied anyway, it's just bragging rights. Those you thought would drop did, and both the Orange and the Bears will stumble shortly and falter soon. I imagine that the climb of the Spartans and the Hoosiers has about reached their respective peaks, now that head-to-head Big Ten+ play has begun, and soon the usual suspects will hold onto the top slots.

Once more my boss has stepped on my nincomputer time today, so I can't do my weekend update until tomorrow at the earliest. Thank God there's only two notable games tonight, those being Big Mouth contests between UConn/WVA and G'town/Cincy. Considering how things have gone for ALL concerned with those 4 teams, I'd say you can flip a coin to call the winners.

Back tomorrow, hopefully, with more amazing insights Until then, enjoy.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #152
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Now maybe I can catch up a little bit here, if I skip much too many good games and just hit the biggies. In the balance of action Saturday 1/7:

Kansas State 75 - Missouri 59 = I've been saying all along that the Tigers' easy scheduling would come back and bite them in the butt eventually. The K-State win does not surprise me one bit, and even the margin's not a total shock.

St. John's 57 - Cincinnati 55 = And considering how the Bearcats have played at times, even with the run they made after that Xavier brawl, this is not much of a shock either.

Notre Dame 67 - Louisville 65 (2OT) = But this is somewhat of one, especially as the better team lost in double-OT at home.

Illinois 59 - Nebraska 54 = And the surprise here is how close the 'Huskers came to their first ever Big Ten+ win.

Rutgers 67 - U Conn 60 = Much like Missou, and as I've said before, the Husky losses will keep coming once they go on the road and actually play somebody . . . and apparently, much to my surprise, the Scarlet Knights can actually BE somebody, on certain nights anyway.

Charlotte 57 - St. Joseph's 52 = The shock here is not only that the "meh" 49ers could beat the decent Hawks, but that they could do so in Philly.

Syracuse 73 - Marquette 66 = The handwriting is on the wall for the Orange, if you ask me. You don't believe me, and think a 3-possession win is good enough? Well, take note that the score at the half was 37-19 for the 'Cuse, yet the Golden Eagles came damn close to stealing the victory despite the fact they did not even get to the game until after the break.

Dayton 87 - Temple 77 = I don't know, maybe the Owls feel that beating Dook made their season already, and they have no need to show up anymore. Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not convinced the Blue Devils are great, nor am I unaware that the Flyers are pretty decent. Still . . . .

Virginia 52 - Miami 51 = Hmmmmm. The Cavs may be beginning to unravel, as the 'Canes have shown no sign of being able to play ball so far this year to date. But maybe it was just an off night, since everybody has them.

Arkansas 98 - Mississippi State 88 = This must have been a track meet, and certainly not the defensive "40 minutes of hell" the 'Hogs used to boast. Just consider . . .

Stanford 103 - Oregon State 101 (4OT) = It took these two twice as long to score nearly as much. A hard-fought win for the Tree, who'll need them to challenge their neighbors in Berkeley for the Pac-12.

On Sunday 1/8:

Michigan 59 - Wisconsin 41 = As much as the two games above were NBA-type scores, this ugly contest was more typical of a football contest between these teams, as was . . .

Arizona 57 - USC 46 = At least the snarling mammels just cited had the excuse that the Badgers almost always play slowly. But these two? Maybe they merely suck. Speaking of which . . .

N. C. State 79 - Maryland 74 = OK, the Terps are supposed to suck this year, yet they made a game of it against Jerry's 'Pack. It's a decent win for Moo U to begin their ACC season, but maybe it's not a very good sign of things to come.

On Monday 1/9:

U Conn 64 - West Virginia 57 = The Huskies do win, but don't dissuade me of my opinion. The Mountaineers are OK, and probably better than was expected, but U Conn thought they'd repeat as champs this year, the silly gooses.

Cincinnati 68 - Georgetown 64 = And the young Hoya squad stumbles twice in a row, against a yo-yo Bearcat team this time. I just hope they get their act back together before they face the likes of Syracuse and the aforementioned Huskies.

Tonight has some potential for decent conference matchups:

Florida vs. Georgia = This may not be one of them. Yeah, the Gators have tripped a few times, but the Bulldogs haven't even crawled, much less walked.

Florida State vs. Virginia Tech = It was supposed these two would challenge for the upper half of the ACC, though not for the top two slots. They've not shown much sign of that, but that makes this head-to-head all that more important to both.

Louisville vs. Providence = Although the Firars have had a decent game or three so far, I can't see them taking the Cardinals. But then again, I couldn't see some others doing so, so Pitino's boys have the "ability" to disappoint their fans . . . amongst whom I do NOT count myself.

DePaul vs. Seton Hall = Despite a few very surprising good wins, I still don't have much long-term faith in the Pirates. But the Blue Demons ain't exactly the Lakers, so though this may be close I'll give the locals an edge.

Iowa vs. Michigan State = And despite a good win or two by the Hawkeyes, I think the Spartans will continue to roll, for now anyway.

Baylor vs. Kansas State = If the Manhattan 'Cats play as well as they did against the Missou Tigers, they will back-to-back hand teams their first loss of the year. Me, I'm gonna say it happens, and the Bears go down this evening.

Illinois State vs. Wichita State = Just one damn fine game between two good programs.

Northern Iowa vs. Creighton = Same here.

Ohio State vs. Illinois = I think the Buckeyes have much more talent than do the Illini, but they've proven that this does not mean they know how to win. I can see this being a close one in Champaign, and don't be shocked if OSU drops another one.

North Carolina vs. Miami = But be surprised if the Heels lose this one. They are ending a long homestand, and despite a few lapses from time to time have started to play some pretty dominant ball for the most part. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes have fairly much stunk. Anything can happen in league play, but some things should not be expected.

San Diego State vs. Chicago State = And here's the laffer of the night for you. The Aztecs may not be as good as last year's version, but the boys from the Windy City have failed to win a game all year to date. That win will come tonight only if the Aztec bus breaks down and forces a forfeit.

Well, my fingers are starting to bleed, so I'll call it quits for now. Pipe up with your own thoughts, brothers, and until later then . . . enjoy.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #153
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Going back an forth between the Gators/Bulldogs and UL/Providence right now. The Gators starting to pile on the Dogs early in H2. Probably won't change much on that aspect.

UL, at the half, is getting their butts handed to them by Providence. I'd hate to be in Ricky's locker room right now. They played like they're asleep in H1, but the Cards are a team that put a run on very quickly, if a fire is lit under them.

Hope I get to see a little of the OSU/Illini game before I fall asleep in the chair.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #154
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Going back an forth between the Gators/Bulldogs and UL/Providence right now. The Gators starting to pile on the Dogs early in H2. Probably won't change much on that aspect.

UL, at the half, is getting their butts handed to them by Providence. I'd hate to be in Ricky's locker room right now. They played like they're asleep in H1, but the Cards are a team that put a run on very quickly, if a fire is lit under them.

Hope I get to see a little of the OSU/Illini game before I fall asleep in the chair.

Yeah, the Gators did dogpile on UGA, so maybe BillyBoy is starting to get their attention after too many stumbles. And Pitino had no success in lighting a fire under his Cards, who got fried by the Friars 90-59, at home no less.

As for OSU/Illini, it was the Buckeyes who fell asleep.

Illinois 79 - Ohio State 74 = I'm not too surprised by this at all, since OSU has NOT played up to the level I expected of them.

Baylor 75 - Kansas State 73 = And no, I'm still not backing down on my stance about the Bears being overrated, though I must give them some credit for their uncanny ability (so far) to win close games. This is the 4th one they've won by a mere one possession, meaning that of their 16 wins 25% have come due to a shot either made or missed here and there.

Florida State 63 - Virginia Tech 59 = The Seminoles were supposed to be the only ACC team capable of challenging UNC and Duke for the top, yet have shown little sign of that so far. This is a decent win for them, but I hope they got it out of their system before my Heels visit soon. Speaking of which . . .

North Carolina 73 - Miami 56 = UNC ends its long homestand with another fairly easy victory, which wasn't really as close as the final margin. The best thing to come out of this was that Carolina's backcourt, considered to be weaker than their bigs AND the guards for the 'Canes, did most of the damage to build the lead on a night when the frontcourt struggled.

San Diego State 73 - Chicago State 65 = I cite this one because I'm a little shocked the Aztecs had so much trouble at home with a team without a win all year. That's not a good sign, and I bet Stevie's p!$$ed about it.

Wichita State 65 - Illinois State 62 = Hey, I told you this would be a good game.

Creighton 63 - Northern Iowa 60 = Ditto, bro.

There are a number of interesting games this evening, including:

Michigan vs. Northwestern = The Smarty 'Cats can beat the Logans if they play well, considering how UM struggles to score too damn often. I don't think they will, but it's worth keeping an eye on this one.

Rutgers vs. Pittsburgh = If you think you know who'll win this one, you're a better man than me. Both teams have shocked me this year, either by losing games they should have won, or winning those they should have lost. For that alone, it's worth keeping track.

Charlotte vs. U Mass = Can the 49ers build upon their big road win over Temple with another here?

St. John's vs. Marquette = Much like the Big East contest above, this one's hard to call. I feel the Golden Eagles should soar above the Storm, yet they have stalled before.

Duquesne vs. Xavier = And this one could be a flat-out war. The X-Men have better talent, but they also seem to still be screwed up between the ears.

Syracuse vs. Villanova = I like Jay Wright and the Philly 'Cats better than I doo Boeheim and his Orange, but so far this year they've rarely shown me enough to pick them, even on their home court. As much as I expect the 'Cuse to stumble soon, I can't see that happening tonight.

Wake Forest vs. Maryland = Both these teams were predicted to suck, and they've both shown that "ability", though the Deacs have played somewhat better than was thought. I'm tempted to pick them to take the Terps in College Park, but as I have no faith in either squad I'd just be whistling in the dark.

Missouri vs. Iowa State = Will Missou rebound from their first loss (read, "spanking") of the season, or shall they drop another already? I give the Cyclones a decent shot in Ames, seeing as how they've already racked up decent wins against Providence, Iowa, and both Texas and Texas A&M. While we're on the subject . . .

Texas vs. Texas A&M = The Aggies were once in the position the aforementioned Missouri Tigers were, and considered to be a national power. Meanwhile, the 'Horns were expected to be down, and haven't shown the experts wrong. Anything can happen in a rivalry game, so look for blood to be shed before this is done.

Kentucky vs. Auburn = And look for blood to be shed here also . . . all of it Tiger blood.

Arkansas vs. Mississippi = Though neither team is likely to be standing long in March, they are both at least OK. This should be a lot of fun.

Penn State vs. Nebraska = I don't know if the Cornhuskers can earn even a single conference victory in their first Big Ten+ season, but this one in Lincoln may be their best shot at one.

Temple vs. Saint Louis = Two good mid-majors go head-to-head, which is almost always a good show.

Georgia Tech vs. N. C. State = I'm not sure how many victories Jerry's Wolfpack can manage in ACC play, so they can't let ones like this one get away from them . . . especially if they have serious aspirations to get back to the NCAAs again come Spring.

Kansas vs. Texas Tech = I didn't bother to take note where this one's being played. I don't think it matters all that much. The Jayhawks should build a double-digit margin, then coast.

LSU vs. Alabama = So if you want to see a battle, look here instead. I heard rumors that these two recently met on the gridiron in some meaningless post-season bowl, so you'd think both teams and the crowd might be a bit into this roundball rematch.

That's gonna do it for me for now. Keep those cards and letters coming, kiddies, and as always . . . enjoy.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #155
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, let's see if these penny-ante gamblers bugging me for Lotto tickets will leave me be long enough to do this today. There were a ton of close and exciting games last night, but I'll only post a few more important results:

Michigan 66 - Northwestern 64 (OT) = The Logans did manage to eek out a victory, and actually managed to score over 65 points this time . . . even though it took them an extra 5 minutes to do so.

Memphis 60 - Southern Miss 58 = Another close victory, and one the Tigers need in their attempt to regain some of their pre-season juice.

Rutgers 62 - Pittsburgh 39 = Speaking of juice, the Panthers have become all pits and no meat. Considering some of the good wins the Scarlet Knights have had, it's no big shock they won this one. But scoring under 40 points, at home? That's just Pitt-iful.

Kentucky 68 - Auburn 53 = OK, yeah, it was on the road for the Wildcats. OK, yeah, it's a 15-point win. But still, I'm not all that impressed with this performance by the supposed #2 team in the nation.

Nebraska 70 - Penn State 58 = Woo-hoo, 'Huskers! You get your first Big Ten+ win, ever! Savor it, as there won't be many more, at least this season anyway.

Georgia Tech 82 - N. C. State 71 = Jerry's Wolfpack could not defend their home court, at least in the 1st half. They were down 11 at the break, and lost by that same margin.

Temple 72 - Saint Louis 67 = The Owls get what's at least a decent win here, my quibble being this: The Billikens began by winning 12 of their first 13 games, and created quite the buzz. But last night marked their 3rd loss out of the last 4, so maybe the Dollies have sprung a leak.

Alabama 69 - LSU 53 = Roll Tide, I guess. And look on the bright side, Tigers . . . at least you scored in this game.

There looks to be a lot of good match-ups going on tonight, but many of them involve teams nobody much cares about. If I skip yours, do't be hurt . . . be vocal, and post your own thoughts, dammit! Here's my picks for the highpoints:

Wisconsin vs. Purdue = The Badgers were supposed to be the ones to challenge the Buckeyes for the conference, yet have not shown they are capable of that . . . or WOULD not have, had not OSU itself disappointed expectation so far. Meanwhile, the Boilermakers have played a bit better than was thought, and have shown at times they can compete with most anybody. This game is big for both teams. Pick 'em, since I can't.

Clemson vs. Boston College = BC showed against UNC that they won't give up, even when behind. It did not help them much, but it's a good sign for a team that's struggled badly. Clemson has been a bit better, but they themselves have stumbled too. This one could be fun.

Murray State vs. Jacksonville State = If Joe's Racers drop this homegame, I don't wanna hear a peep out of him for a week!

Minnesota vs. Indiana = The Golden Gophers have been less than golden in league play, and go for an 0-5 start in Bloomington tonight. I'm gonna stick with the surprisingly good Hoosiers until they throw a shoe . . . or a chair.

Virginia vs. Duke = And speaking of being a pleasant surprise, what about those Cavs? They have at least a slim shot at competing with Dook and UNC for the ACC, IF they continue to play like they have so far. A win in Cameron this evening would go a looooong way towards that goal. Me, I don't see it happening, but the Blue Devils are far from invincible, so you never know. Keep an eye on this one.

Oregon State vs. Arizona = A key Pac-12 battle in Tucson, with the Desert 'Cats hoping to keep pace with the TRUE Left Coast teams. This could be fun.

Oregon vs. Arizona State = This could be over by the half, for despite my respect for Herb Sendek his Sun Devils have not showm me much. Neither have the Ducks, but even in Tempe they should not lay an egg.

Tennessee vs. Mississippi State = The Vols are just barely above .500 this year, but are coming off a huge win over the Gators. The Bulldogs maintain a national ranking, yet lost their only SEC game thus far, and are thereby behind UT in that regard. MSU needs to win in Starkville tonight, whereas the Vols need to win anywhere anytime they can. I'm interested to see what happens here, as I've little faith in the 'Dawgs, and less in UT.

Gonzaga vs. St. Mary's = God, I hope the Gaels absolutely spank and skin the Bulldogs tonight. Don't get me wrong . . . I have a lot of respect for the 'Zags, and for the job Mark Few has done out there to build a quality mid-major program. But I am sick and tired of listening to these Great NW bozos bragging and whining all the damn time, saying crap like "We've got the best point guard/shooting guard/power foward in the nation!" or "We'll play anybody anywhere anytime, and beat them at our game or theirs!" . . . all this while giving us much more reason to dispute rather than to prove their claims. Yet dispite these repeated bouts of hubris, they are already at it again, first whining that they should be ranked, then whining that they should have been ranked sooner and/or higher. STFU and play, $#!+heads, and show me a Geroge Mason/Butler/VCU run before you run off at the mouth any more! And THAT'S why I hope St. Mary's pops them a good one in the piehole at home tonight.

That's it for me for now. Enjoy, fellas.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #156
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Heh! You won't hear a peep, you'll hear a POP!!!! Looks like fan interest if coming on; Saturday's home game is already sold out.

I was VERY disappointed in the Cat's performance, until the last 4 or 5 minutes. They were FLAT most of the game. The Tigers almost chewed 'em up.

Go Virginia!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #157
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Minnesota vs. Indiana = The Golden Gophers have been less than golden in league play, and go for an 0-5 start in Bloomington tonight. I'm gonna stick with the surprisingly good Hoosiers until they throw a shoe . . . or a chair.
So, which got thrown last night? A HUGE surprise, to me. I wonder if the Gophs can find a way to keep playing like that over the course of the rest of the season. Some people are calling for Tubby's job, because he has underachieved since he's been here, and had a tremendous amount of players that have left the program that are playing well elsewhere.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #158
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Yeah, the Gators did dogpile on UGA, so maybe BillyBoy is starting to get their attention after too many stumbles. And Pitino had no success in lighting a fire under his Cards, who got fried by the Friars 90-59, at home no less.

As for OSU/Illini, it was the Buckeyes who fell asleep.

Illinois 79 - Ohio State 74 = I'm not too surprised by this at all, since OSU has NOT played up to the level I expected of them.

Baylor 75 - Kansas State 73 = And no, I'm still not backing down on my stance about the Bears being overrated, though I must give them some credit for their uncanny ability (so far) to win close games. This is the 4th one they've won by a mere one possession, meaning that of their 16 wins 25% have come due to a shot either made or missed here and there.

Florida State 63 - Virginia Tech 59 = The Seminoles were supposed to be the only ACC team capable of challenging UNC and Duke for the top, yet have shown little sign of that so far. This is a decent win for them, but I hope they got it out of their system before my Heels visit soon. Speaking of which . . .

North Carolina 73 - Miami 56 = UNC ends its long homestand with another fairly easy victory, which wasn't really as close as the final margin. The best thing to come out of this was that Carolina's backcourt, considered to be weaker than their bigs AND the guards for the 'Canes, did most of the damage to build the lead on a night when the frontcourt struggled.

San Diego State 73 - Chicago State 65 = I cite this one because I'm a little shocked the Aztecs had so much trouble at home with a team without a win all year. That's not a good sign, and I bet Stevie's p!$$ed about it.

Wichita State 65 - Illinois State 62 = Hey, I told you this would be a good game.

Creighton 63 - Northern Iowa 60 = Ditto, bro.

There are a number of interesting games this evening, including:

Michigan vs. Northwestern = The Smarty 'Cats can beat the Logans if they play well, considering how UM struggles to score too damn often. I don't think they will, but it's worth keeping an eye on this one.

Rutgers vs. Pittsburgh = If you think you know who'll win this one, you're a better man than me. Both teams have shocked me this year, either by losing games they should have won, or winning those they should have lost. For that alone, it's worth keeping track.

Charlotte vs. U Mass = Can the 49ers build upon their big road win over Temple with another here?

St. John's vs. Marquette = Much like the Big East contest above, this one's hard to call. I feel the Golden Eagles should soar above the Storm, yet they have stalled before.

Duquesne vs. Xavier = And this one could be a flat-out war. The X-Men have better talent, but they also seem to still be screwed up between the ears.

Syracuse vs. Villanova = I like Jay Wright and the Philly 'Cats better than I doo Boeheim and his Orange, but so far this year they've rarely shown me enough to pick them, even on their home court. As much as I expect the 'Cuse to stumble soon, I can't see that happening tonight.

Wake Forest vs. Maryland = Both these teams were predicted to suck, and they've both shown that "ability", though the Deacs have played somewhat better than was thought. I'm tempted to pick them to take the Terps in College Park, but as I have no faith in either squad I'd just be whistling in the dark.

Missouri vs. Iowa State = Will Missou rebound from their first loss (read, "spanking") of the season, or shall they drop another already? I give the Cyclones a decent shot in Ames, seeing as how they've already racked up decent wins against Providence, Iowa, and both Texas and Texas A&M. While we're on the subject . . .

Texas vs. Texas A&M = The Aggies were once in the position the aforementioned Missouri Tigers were, and considered to be a national power. Meanwhile, the 'Horns were expected to be down, and haven't shown the experts wrong. Anything can happen in a rivalry game, so look for blood to be shed before this is done.

Kentucky vs. Auburn = And look for blood to be shed here also . . . all of it Tiger blood.

Arkansas vs. Mississippi = Though neither team is likely to be standing long in March, they are both at least OK. This should be a lot of fun.

Penn State vs. Nebraska = I don't know if the Cornhuskers can earn even a single conference victory in their first Big Ten+ season, but this one in Lincoln may be their best shot at one.

Temple vs. Saint Louis = Two good mid-majors go head-to-head, which is almost always a good show.

Georgia Tech vs. N. C. State = I'm not sure how many victories Jerry's Wolfpack can manage in ACC play, so they can't let ones like this one get away from them . . . especially if they have serious aspirations to get back to the NCAAs again come Spring.

Kansas vs. Texas Tech = I didn't bother to take note where this one's being played. I don't think it matters all that much. The Jayhawks should build a double-digit margin, then coast.

LSU vs. Alabama = So if you want to see a battle, look here instead. I heard rumors that these two recently met on the gridiron in some meaningless post-season bowl, so you'd think both teams and the crowd might be a bit into this roundball rematch.

That's gonna do it for me for now. Keep those cards and letters coming, kiddies, and as always . . . enjoy.
Keep expecting the Cuse to lose, eventually you'll get it right, LOL.

or not.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #159
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Farkers won't leave me farkin' alone today, fark it all! I'll get back to this tomorrow, guys.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #160
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Heh! You won't hear a peep, you'll hear a POP!!!! Looks like fan interest if coming on; Saturday's home game is already sold out.

I was VERY disappointed in the Cat's performance, until the last 4 or 5 minutes. They were FLAT most of the game. The Tigers almost chewed 'em up.

Go Virginia!!!
Were I you, Joe, I'd be disappointed in the relatively narrow victory over a "meh" Jack State squad. Still. a W's a W.

Go Virginia? Well, I guess they went pretty good in Cameron under the circumstances, before they finally went . . . with a fight, but went regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
So, which got thrown last night? A HUGE surprise, to me. I wonder if the Gophs can find a way to keep playing like that over the course of the rest of the season. Some people are calling for Tubby's job, because he has underachieved since he's been here, and had a tremendous amount of players that have left the program that are playing well elsewhere.
I was not so surprised as you with the Gopher win, for although I know the Hoosiers have played well above expectations (and am personally glad to see a storied program make strides back to prominence), they are also young and vulnerable to stumbles. As I stated earlier, when they made it into the Top Ten in the ranks, they had likely reached about as high as they could go. I do believe that Tubby gets less respect than he's earned, both at Minnseota (not a traditional hoops power, so what more do they want?) and previously at Kentucky. He seems to me a class act, on and off the court, which should count for as much as wins and losses do. True, it's hard for the fans to see this at times, but there it is nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Keep expecting the Cuse to lose, eventually you'll get it right, LOL.

If you are a longtime Orange fan, or at least one who's paid attention, you know how this goes. The 'Cuse will begin each season playing a lot of homegames against lower to mid-level opponents who haven't the talent and/or experience to deal with Boeheim's zone, and they will rack up a string of victories. Then they start playing those who are capable and knowledgeable to take advantages of said zone, who are able to attack it successfully and build a lead on the Orange, who are then either unable to make up the deficit because the zone does not lend itself to catch-up success, or they are forced to try to create more possessions by changing to a press, which they haven't practiced enough to pull off.

Hey, I'm not putting them down with this assessment, but merely citing history.

Lemme try to play some catch-up myself now, and prepare a update. Back soon, I hope.