Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #881
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
There is actually a series of Russian Cigar Clan articles that has been reprinted on another site with permission of the IP owner, that includes some insight into the subject. Basically what has been said is they are id, anti counterfeit and marketing.
That's what is said in the article I linked earlier.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #882
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
That's what is said in the article I linked earlier.
Ya I had an senior moment. I was writting in that response originally that what you had said was repeated and backe up. I just left that part out between what my brain said and what my fingers wrote.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #883
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Ya I had an senior moment. I was writting in that response originally that what you had said was repeated and backe up. I just left that part out between what my brain said and what my fingers wrote.
You have that too, huh?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #884
jbuck

Give the La Trviata by CAO a try. Great flavor with 4 diffrent finishes. I perfer the Toro size
Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #885
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quick question: Is the length and firmness of the ash (and, I guess, the amount of time it stays on) indicative of the quality of the cigar?

I ask because through general observation, the cigars that are supposed to be 'higher' quality have their ash stay on longer than budget smokes.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #886
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Quick question: Is the length and firmness of the ash (and, I guess, the amount of time it stays on) indicative of the quality of the cigar?

I ask because through general observation, the cigars that are supposed to be 'higher' quality have their ash stay on longer than budget smokes.

Yes. A quality hand rolled cigar should be able to retain about 1" of ash if not exposed to wind or bumps. The amount of ash depends on the leaves used and mostly the rolling of the cigar. Machine rolled cigars will be much looser in general and ash easier than hand rolled and the more experienced the roller the better possible ash column.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #887
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes. A quality hand rolled cigar should be able to retain about 1" of ash if not exposed to wind or bumps. The amount of ash depends on the leaves used and mostly the rolling of the cigar. Machine rolled cigars will be much looser in general and ash easier than hand rolled and the more experienced the roller the better possible ash column.
Thanks. That's what I figured.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #888
Sam Tushing

I'm moving beyond buying whatever cigars I can find here in town and would like to order some cigars online. Which online cigar stores are reputable? I've seen Cigars International mentioned here...even above in this thread...but where are most of you ordering your cigars from?? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #889
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Tushing View Post
I'm moving beyond buying whatever cigars I can find here in town and would like to order some cigars online. Which online cigar stores are reputable? I've seen Cigars International mentioned here...even above in this thread...but where are most of you ordering your cigars from?? Thanks for your help.
This should help you out.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...5&postcount=40
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #890
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Tushing View Post
I'm relatively new at ordering online also. But I've personally had good luck in the last few months with my orders from both CI and Famous. I was also impressed with my recent visit to the B&M Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe in Albany NY. I'm sure their online store would also be a good choice.

Edit:
Or like Jason said
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #891
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I just received some Perdomo Fresh Rolled. The blurb at CI says
"tobaccos are already aged yet they’re rolled and shipped immediately"

This makes me think most cigars must receive additional aging after they are rolled. Is this correct? I've seen at least one cigar described as being aged (for a year I think) after rolling and before shipping. But it seems like most cigar descriptions, if they mention aging at all, talk about aging before rolling. I am gradually getting ahead of myself and am keeping some cigars for as long as a couple months. Also I notice that famous dates their cigars with a received date which tells me they have aged at least that long before I get them.

Are there cigars which are well aged after rolling and others which are not? Is it a big deal? And if so how long is long enough to make a difference?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #892
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
I just received some Perdomo Fresh Rolled. The blurb at CI says
"tobaccos are already aged yet they’re rolled and shipped immediately"

This makes me think most cigars must receive additional aging after they are rolled. Is this correct? I've seen at least one cigar described as being aged (for a year I think) after rolling and before shipping. But it seems like most cigar descriptions, if they mention aging at all, talk about aging before rolling. I am gradually getting ahead of myself and am keeping some cigars for as long as a couple months. Also I notice that famous dates their cigars with a received date which tells me they have aged at least that long before I get them.

Are there cigars which are well aged after rolling and others which are not? Is it a big deal? And if so how long is long enough to make a difference?

Once tobacco leaf is harvested it is usually air-curred for cigars from 4 to 8 weeks. After that period it can be rolled into a cigar. In general though only the Cubans will roll cigars at this point. Most Non-Cuban manufacturers will age the curred tobacco for another year or more. Some non-cuban manufacturers will roll the cigars and then cure the whole rolled cigar for more time. This is done because a freshly curred then rolled cigar can go through an additional sick period when it begins to self cure. Tasting ammonia and other unpleasant aromas can be seen in this time, but this is an issue only with Cuban Cigars as all Non-Cuban manufacturers age beyound the sick period before they distribute for sale, AFAIK.

In general once a non-cuban is available for sale only the tobacco has been aged but some are aged after rolling, and this is usually indicated in the price of the cigar, higher price in non-cubans can be attributed to more aging time.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #893
KetelOne

So I found a cigar that i had cut but apparently never smoked, I vaguely remember cutting it around the end of July. My question is, after you cut a cigar does it begin to lose any flavor or anything?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #894
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetelOne View Post
So I found a cigar that i had cut but apparently never smoked, I vaguely remember cutting it around the end of July. My question is, after you cut a cigar does it begin to lose any flavor or anything?
No negative effects at all. Before the Embargo many Cuban and American made cigars came pre-cut or punched. Many will cut a cigar, put it back in the humidor if the draw is too tight and revisit it in a week or two.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #895
KetelOne

Awesome, I just wanted to make sure
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #896
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
No negative effects at all. Before the Embargo many Cuban and American made cigars came pre-cut or punched. Many will cut a cigar, put it back in the humidor if the draw is too tight and revisit it in a week or two.
Had a Troya last night from a tube that came Pre-Cut!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #897
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough

What does "predraw" mean?
PCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #898
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Been to a couple of B&M shops and when I smoke there they cut with a V cutter. My friend, who doesn't really smoke but pretends that he does, just gave me one.
My question is what benefit is it to cut with a V rather than a straight cut? How do I know which cigars to cut which way?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #899
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
What does "predraw" mean?
Drawing on the cigar before lighting. Dry tasting, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Been to a couple of B&M shops and when I smoke there they cut with a V cutter. My friend, who doesn't really smoke but pretends that he does, just gave me one.
My question is what benefit is it to cut with a V rather than a straight cut? How do I know which cigars to cut which way?
I have found no particular benefit, I think it's mostly preference.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #900
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough

[quote=NCRadioMan;978538]Drawing on the cigar before lighting. Dry tasting, if you will.

Thanks!
PCR is offline   Reply With Quote