Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you read blogs?
YES 35 40.70%
NO 51 59.30%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #21
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How many read blogs? (please reply)

I do read blogs, but they are typically hobby related or written by friends and not commercial blogs.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

I'm shocked.......

I told my sister in-law I couldn't name 5 people who read blogs......and now I can. Even though she still can't name 5 people who do, the truth is.....more people do than I thought....

I appreciate everybody's input........
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #23
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
I voted yes ... and while you asked me not to comment, since when has that stopped me before?

As a market researcher, it's not as simple as does a random group of people read blogs, but rather does your target audience (presumably current and prospective customers) read blogs. And if a healthy percentage of your target audience reads blogs, more importantly, will they read YOUR blog? A blog can be effective as part of a coordinated marketing strategy, but blogging for bloggings sake -- in the hopes of increased sales -- is likely to be a frustrating experience.

Ok, Vin, that post made too much sense. Your sucking all the fun out of the poll
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #24
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I might be way off here, but after answering and thinking about it. Isn't most threads on CA blogs?
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #25
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

I voted yes, but I dont do it on a regular basis. Most of the blog stuff I do read is photography related. And the ones I do read are professionals whom I could really learn from. Most of the stuff they post is technical how to's. Not 'personal' garbage.

I do know many photographers who use blogs as marketing. And they say it does work.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Not to thread jack, but the true value in blogging from a marketing standpoint lies with the blogger. If 3F were start blogging about his experiences with cigars for his cigar lounge, for example, he may find an uptick in sales as his blog gains eyeballs in the Tampa area and like-minded readers flock to his lounge.

Blogging gives you a forum -- more to inform than to actively sell, but in setting yourself up as an "expert", it will only be a matter of time before people start to seek you out. If you can connect with your audience, your words take on gravitas and suddenly, you find your positive reviews of an RP Decade translating into increased sales out of the lounge's humidor.

Advertising on someone's blog is a different animal. No different than advertising anywhere on the net, really.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #27
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I read them in the spirit of open discussion. I like to see other people's points of view, whether I agree or disagree. A blog is a good release for a lot of people and a way to get their message out.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #28
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

I've never found a blog worth reading.

Then again, I don't read the newspaper either.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #29
RazzBarlow

For the most part, I won't read a commercial blog. But, like anything else, if it's well written and fun to read...I might indulge in a blog here and there.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #30
saggel
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Spyros
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Served With Honor)
saggel is on a distinguished road

Apart from following more than 250 blogs on my Greader, I also own many blogs on several subjects such as cars, blackberry, iPhone and a personal.
saggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #31
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

I voted no, but sometimes if I can't watch a sporting event in my area NESN or Comcast has live bloggers.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #32
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Wow. I read tons of blogs. Too many to count. Cigar blogs, Technology blogs, Political blogs, Science blogs... It seems like anytime I am looking for some sort of specialized info, Google brings me to a blog.

I would say that with today's more powerful blogging software, many of the blogs don't really look like blogs. Also, adding an E-Commerce plug-in is extremely cheap and easy. Plus you can get advertising revenue.

As for TripleF's point, I think that depends on one thing. Traffic. Blogs with a lot of traffic can generate very good sales and revenue. But it is hard to continue to increase traffic. I think every bloggers hope is to generate enough revenue to pay for the hosting and registry costs, but very few do.

And the blog I run for my business pulls in decent keyword traffic. Then refers to the main website.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #33
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Wow. I read tons of blogs. Too many to count. Cigar blogs, Technology blogs, Political blogs, Science blogs... It seems like anytime I am looking for some sort of specialized info, Google brings me to a blog.
Shall we change your user name to Footblog?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #34
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Shall we change your user name to Footblog?
Blogbag?
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #35
Resipsa

I think more people read blogs than realize it. If you go to any of the big sports sites, eg espn etc, or really any of the well known commercial sites those links you're hitting are taking you to somebodys blog whether you realize it or not. I read a lot of blogs as rss feeds through a couple
of different aggregators, it's the only way to have the time
to keep up with all of the different professional and personal things I want to. Maybe not as many as some have stated, but easily 50-60 blogs of some
sort I follow
Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #36
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Unnecessary Comment: I voted yes because I read one ocassionally. But that said I never look at the ads on them because I assume most of them are scams. IMHO it is throwing away ad money.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #37
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPmark View Post
I might be way off here, but after answering and thinking about it. Isn't most threads on CA blogs?

I blog (my reviews www.cigarguide.org currently transferring all my old reviews to new webspace, new layout, lots of work but its looking so much better) and I do read certain blogs, newsblog and cigarblogs.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #38
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road

I voted no as I don't subscribe to any and couldn't tell you a thing about the advertising. If I do read on it is through a link or by accident.
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote