Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Weber One Touch Gold Opinons?

I've decided to pay the extra money and buy a Weber instead of a grill every couple of years.

Over the past three seasons I bought a twenty dollar portable gas grill. That worked fine for just me however now things have changed at home and I have three more people living in the house with me now and there just isn't room on a small grill for cooking everything.

I favor gas cooking for lots of reasons but am well adept at cooking with charcoal too. There is something more primal about charcoal cooking. There really isn't a right and wrong as both have their benefits such as time versus convenience.

The Weber One Touch is the grill I have picked out. I've always wanted a Weber but just couldn't justify the price for just one person.

So you Weber owners, help a brother out, anything against this grill that would deter me from getting it next payday?
I know this grill would last me for years and years.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weber One Touch Gold Opinons?

I bought a Weber Summit series 4 burner last summer and love it . Weber makes a great product . Good luck with your grill . May all your flare ups be minimal !
Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

I have the silver. Best grill I have ever had, period.
Posted via Mobile Device
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
DougBushBC

I have the silver, and there isnt a grill like it in the world, it is the most simple, easy to use, best heating, amazing grill ever. I really don't ever think I'll use anything different again, except if its this: http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_L.html
Old 07-12-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I've had the original Weber One-Touch since they first came out 20 plus years ago. Had to replace a couple of $5 handles in that time, but the damn thing will not wear out to allow me to purchase the gas grill we've been discussing getting when this wears out.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

I have the 22.5 gold and love it. The ash catcher holders 2-3 sessions worth which for me living in a condo is great! I love the thing. With a weber chimney lighter and lump charcoal I am cooking in 15 minutes, not much different then heating a gas grill!
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

I have a Weber Silver with close to 8 years on it.... Great Grill, but here is a little tip. If you want to go slow and low you will need to put stones over the bars to lower the heat to 130 to 150 to get ribs or a brisket done.
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Love my Weber gold. My old Weber finally wore out a couple of years ago after 10 years of almost daily use ... couldn't imagine replacing it with anything else ... but I did go for the gold this time and I'm glad I did. These work great for both grilling and smoking ... even smoke the Thanksgiving turkey on mine every year.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

I got one of the One-Touch Golds in 18.5". Thing is a tank and I use it at least once a week. Take care of the grills and it has lasted me for the past 3 years without issue. Got the optional grill cover and the finish is still clean.

I've even done a few "low and slow" bbq's with it with some slight modifications to it (nothing permanent). It might be on the small side (the 18.5") but it's perfect for my household of one.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

fxpose is on a distinguished road

The One Touch Gold is a great grill. I was about to buy a brand new unit when I found one on Craigslist for $40 just recently.
I removed the legs and chopped the handles off the kettle and built a table for it.

It's a great grill, you can even do long smokes on it, or even bake pizza.

fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

That is brilliant, fxpose. Do you have problems with scorching of the table from the grill getting hot?

And where did you get those heavy grill surface from?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Thanks jquirit!

I ordered my grate from these guys:
http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

As far as the heat issue there's no wood to kettle contact. The kettle sits entirely on tiles laid over a cement board. Plus, I installed a tin baffle.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Thanks for the info! That is one very-nice setup you have for your grill. I'll need to make something like that for my patio as having all that additional space on the side is nice.

Also, I noticed you use the firebrick method to bbq in a kettle as well. Two thumbs up!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
90slow50

I think it has been said here already, but Weber One Touches are the bomb! I use mine for grilling, and have used it many times to smoke ribs where people have told me "these are the best ribs I ever ate". I am thinking about buying a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" because I have been so happy with the One Touch.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

I want one but am having troubles justifying it with the gasser sitting on the patio and the offset smoker taking up the rest of the patio. When I do though, I'm getting those grates!
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #16
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I have not been without a 22 inch Weber for pretty close to 30 years now. The are other great cookers, but the Weber kettle is so versatile it is hard to beat.

Consider a Performer if you can find one. The gas assist is sweet and the workspace is nice too.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I believe I am going to consider the Performer! I've got no problems with the charcoal lighting however The Date has a little tougher time with it. She doesn't like starting charcoals and the propane assist would be perfect!
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
I believe I am going to consider the Performer! I've got no problems with the charcoal lighting however The Date has a little tougher time with it. She doesn't like starting charcoals and the propane assist would be perfect!
I know you will love it.

Here is a tip... buy an extra charcoal grate. Put it in the bottom over the other one but turned 180 degrees so it forms little squares. Then use lump charcoal. If you only have the one charcoal great a lot of the lump will fall through.

You will love the flavor and will be able to get much higher temps for steak etc. You can also do low and slow, but for that I would use an all natural briquette such as Stubbs or Wicked Good (if you can find it).
Old 07-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
You'll love the worktable and the lid holder. I wish they still sold the old stainless steel Perfomers, or even the One Touch Platinum.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
I wish they still sold the old stainless steel Performers.
Craigslist is your friend!!! I found one of the SS ones in green about a year ago for $50. It had hardly been used and it will be be buried with me