Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Does anyone have a tried and true pancake recipe?

I have tried bunches, but still have not found that medium between meaty and light/airy pancakes. What do you think?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Does anyone have a tried and true pancake recipe?

And do not tell me bisquick either.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Ihop
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Krusteaz.

Meaty?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Krusteaz.

Meaty?
+1 and yeah.. Meaty? I'm confused. If you want Bacon Pancakes, just make Bacon Pancakes.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
+1 and yeah.. Meaty? I'm confused. If you want Bacon Pancakes, just make Bacon Pancakes.
Bacon Pancakes?

IT'S LIKE THEY ARE IN MY BRAIN!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

When we do mix, we do Krusteaz - nothing comes close.

When we do from scratch, it is the Betty Crocker cookbook that we got when we were married 27+ years ago. We substitute 1/2 the flour for whole wheat and then double the amount of baking powder.

Here it is as prescribed (you can do the changes I suggest above for a "meatier" pancake that is still fluffy)

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy (I use an electric beater for this whole process); beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in an additional 1/4 cup mild. Pre-heat griddle (to test griddle, sprinkle a couple drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, heat is just right.)

Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter from tip of a large spoon, a laddle, or pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

To play with this, I've added apples diced to about 1/8" square and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Another is crushed pecans and touch of cinnamon and touch of nutmeg. Another is diced bananas and crushed walnuts. To do any of those, I do the batter first and then when it is ready, stir in the other ingredients.

My sons like to add M&Ms. If you add them to the mix, the colors bleed a bit and make neat designs in the batter and thence in the pancakes.

Tried gummi bears once when they were younger - not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

PS Went to the Betty Crocker website to get the recipe, there they use Biscuick - so very sad.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
Where do you find these things?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

My brother-in-law prides himself rightly on being the pancake and waffle king of the family.
When we get together in the Smokies every summer as a 4 family unit group, he has the
floor when it comes to breakfast. From what I have seen, the mix you can read on a box
or online is the same, its the treatment of the EGGS that makes the difference. How you
beat them, how fluffy you make them before adding them to the batter seems to be the
trick. It doesn't hurt his rep that he is in Western NY and brings the real deal maple syrup
with him when he arrives.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
My brother-in-law prides himself rightly on being the pancake and waffle king of the family.
When we get together in the Smokies every summer as a 4 family unit group, he has the
floor when it comes to breakfast. From what I have seen, the mix you can read on a box
or online is the same, its the treatment of the EGGS that makes the difference. How you
beat them, how fluffy you make them before adding them to the batter seems to be the
trick. It doesn't hurt his rep that he is in Western NY and brings the real deal maple syrup
with him when he arrives.
Brad is correct -- it's all about the eggs. My Mother-in-Law made the best pancakes -- standard recipe with flour, baking powder, milk, etc. The difference is that she would separate the eggs, mix the yolks into the batter and then beat the egg whites stiff until fluffy and fold the fluffed whites into the pancake mix.

She would not stir the mix after that, she would just spoon it on to a griddle. Best pancakes ever.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

By meaty, I mean the opposite of fluffy. Probably a bad choice of wording. Maybe 'dense' would be better. I tried a recipe i found online this morning and they sucked.

You guys may be onto something with the eggs. So, I'll try folding the egg whites in next saturday.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
When we do mix, we do Krusteaz - nothing comes close.

When we do from scratch, it is the Betty Crocker cookbook that we got when we were married 27+ years ago. We substitute 1/2 the flour for whole wheat and then double the amount of baking powder.

Here it is as prescribed (you can do the changes I suggest above for a "meatier" pancake that is still fluffy)

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy (I use an electric beater for this whole process); beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in an additional 1/4 cup mild. Pre-heat griddle (to test griddle, sprinkle a couple drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, heat is just right.)

Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter from tip of a large spoon, a laddle, or pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

To play with this, I've added apples diced to about 1/8" square and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Another is crushed pecans and touch of cinnamon and touch of nutmeg. Another is diced bananas and crushed walnuts. To do any of those, I do the batter first and then when it is ready, stir in the other ingredients.

My sons like to add M&Ms. If you add them to the mix, the colors bleed a bit and make neat designs in the batter and thence in the pancakes.

Tried gummi bears once when they were younger - not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

PS Went to the Betty Crocker website to get the recipe, there they use Biscuick - so very sad.

This recipe has the eggs till fluffy too. Maybe this is the step I am missing.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Trick for even lighter, fluffier pancakes; separate the egg and whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter just before frying.

You can also replace some of the flour with cornmeal or whole-wheat flour for a different taste and texture.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

SO you do not use the yolks at all?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
SO you do not use the yolks at all?
In my variation of this, I do use the yokes also, just separate them and fold in the stiffened whites. Also do this with waffles for much lighter texture.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
By meaty, I mean the opposite of fluffy. Probably a bad choice of wording. Maybe 'dense' would be better. I tried a recipe i found online this morning and they sucked.

You guys may be onto something with the eggs. So, I'll try folding the egg whites in next saturday.
The recipe I gave is a much heavier pancake, but still fluffy - especially when you mix in the stone ground whole wheat flour.