Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #41
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation
Default Re: So, I thought about doing the cash for clunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
Bob, there is a reason for those ads. I have 2 Chrysler vehicles that are coming out of lease in a few months, and the dealers are begging me to take a new vehicle from them - their lots are full of 2009 models, and they are practically giving them away. But, here in the Motor City, no one is interested, especially the many thousands of laid-off and bought-out ex-Chrysler employees.

By the same token, the one company that didn't go begging for money from the Guvmint, Ford, has zero 2009's and are selling truckloads of 2010's that show up daily! I went Friday to look at a Ford Explorer; it's the same size as my Jeep Commander, and if I get something new, I'll probably go with Ford. And this is coming from someone who has been buying or leasing Chrysler vehicles exclusively since 1973!

This whole "Cash for Clunkers" deal is another Obama "Were doing our best to help out you poor people out there" program. If it was really meant to help anyone, the program would have been written to accept any vehicle that is 10 years old or older and doesn't meet the upcoming new CAFE standards!

Charlie,

This is the best post on CA, I have ever seen. You are the man!!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #42
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post

Bob, you are completely correct, and I apologize for changing your words in the quote. I have no excuse for my conduct, and didn't realize the large amount of frustration I have for our conditions here locally would allow me to do something that offended another Inmate.

I have sent you a separate PM, and other than asking here that you accept my apology in the spirit that it was offered, I won't be discussing anything else here on this thread.

No worries Charlie. It must be difficult having a single industry affecting everyones lives in such a significant manner. Hopefully, things will change soon.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #43
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

I know this is probably irrevalent but I always said the government could have gave every American citizen $100,000 or more to spend and stipulate to buy a new vehicle from one of the major manufacturers. Instead they "loan" the companies BILLIONS of dollars and these BILLIONS of dollars were to "bail" them out. They still file bankruptcy. So where did all these BILLIONS of dollars go?
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #44
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

It just isn't feasible to give every citizen $100,000. The current US population is about 300 million. Say half are 18 and up and that gives you (a guess) 150 million people. At $100K each, that's $15 TRILLION dollars, or $1.2 trillion more than our GDP.

As far as where it went, it didn't exist in the first place. That's what go us into this whole mess in the first place. Which kind of makes my first paragraph moot.

That was fairly non political, I guess.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #45
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
My comment about GM was not related to the Cash for Clunckers, it was directed at their bankruptcy and now being Government owned and run. I will not support this Gov.

Ditto!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #46
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

Well Im doing the cash for clunkers tonight. Im trading in my 93 explorer that currently gets 10 mpg for a 09 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport that gets 22mpg at the least.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #47
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
Well Im doing the cash for clunkers tonight. Im trading in my 93 explorer that currently gets 10 mpg for a 09 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport that gets 22mpg at the least.
'

Congrats, I love my Outback!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #48
ChasDen

Quote:

Better hurry, sounds like its running out of money.

Different reports are buzzing around.

The first one today had it suspended, now its on again, and they are looking for more ways to fund it - spending more tax money they don't have

Chas
Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #49
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Wanted to wait a couple weeks to trade in my 93 f150. Looks like the program will be gone by the time I am ready.
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #50
ChasDen

Who knows

From one article:

At the White House, press secretary Robert Gibbs sought to assure consumers that the program is still running and will be alive "this weekend."

"If you were planning on going to buy a car this weekend, using this program, this program continues to run," Gibbs told reporters. He would not commit to any timeframe beyond that.

The program was scheduled to last through Nov. 1 or until the money ran out, but few predicted the fund would run out so quickly. The $1 billion in funding would provide up to 250,000 new car sales.

And

It was unclear how many cars had been sold under the program. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., said about 40,000 vehicle sales had been completed through the program but dealers estimated they were trying to complete transactions on another 200,000 vehicles, putting the amount of remaining funding in doubt.

John McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association, said many dealers have been confused about whether the program will be extended and for how long. Many had stopped offering the deals Thursday after word came out that the funds available for the refunds had been exhausted.

And

Earl Stewart, who owns a Toyota dealership in North Palm Beach, Fla., said the changing messages on the program has created confusion among his customers and his staff. Stewart's accounting department also could only enter about a dozen of the 47 sales he made into the government Web site set up to handle the transactions, leaving him wondering if he will get refunded for the remaining vouchers.

Chas
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #51
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Unfortunately the Feds suspended the program as of midnight....hope they can sneak the paperwork past for you.

EDIT: Oops, looks like the Feds bailed it out with 2 Billion more today!

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=310651&src=110

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #52
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Unfortunately the Feds suspended the program as of midnight....hope they can sneak the paperwork past for you.

EDIT: Oops, looks like the Feds bailed it out with 2 Billion more today!

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=310651&src=110
Another billion here another billion there, no one will notice the difference.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Hell, I will give them my truck for a quick 100K.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #54
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Except whatever small group they target to raise taxes. Wonder who they'll go after? Surely not the of the country.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #55
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Well I got my Subaru last night and have no regrets. Its like driving a go cart that does 85 in no time lol. I'll take some pics
Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #56
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Well Ive had the car for a total of about 11 hours and my dad already managed to lock all 3 keys in the car
Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #57
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

If I had a car that qualified I would do this in a heartbeat. I think it's a great deal. Some local dealerships are also matching the government money. Bottom line is cars need to be sold.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #58
ChasDen

Although I am against tax dollars being used for rebates on cars, I love the fact it happened. Gives great insight whats in store for Gov. ran health care. Confusion, server crashes, suppliers unable to submit paperwork, consumers limited by flow chart like requirements....

And this was just 200,000+ cars.

Chas
Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #59
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
Although I am against tax dollars being used for rebates on cars, I love the fact it happened. Gives great insight whats in store for Gov. ran health care. Confusion, server crashes, suppliers unable to submit paperwork, consumers limited by flow chart like requirements....

Chas
Amen Chuck, this is a minature sample of what is to come if the gov takes any level of control over healthcare. Don't forget they spent $19 million for the cars.gov web site that does not work.

Last edited by captain53; 08-01-2009 at 08:31 AM.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #60
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post

Chas
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote