Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Sancho
Puddle Jumper

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
Sancho has disabled reputation
Default Looking for Advice on a Treadmill

Hello,
My Wife and I were at Sams and passed by the treadmills, seem reasonable cost. Does anyone have any insight on what a "Good" treadmill is? Any suggestions for cnet type websites that might have reviews etc? Took a quick look through google but nothing is sticking out to me as far as a comprehensive review website.

Thanks!
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Looking for Advice on a Treadmill

I would say that it is all up to the individual. At my gym I will never touch the one type of treadmill they have because my knees ache when I use that one. The treadmills I like are made by lifefitness. You can get treadmills with all kinds of options and fancy stuff(ie tv, fans). I would definitely consider one that runs quietly since you will be using it at home. Hope that helps some Chris..
Old 08-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I have no advice on treadmills since I can't run on one without aching, but have you also considered an elliptical?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Plastic clothes hangers are much cheaper.

IMHO.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Most treadmills which are less than "commercial quality", or gym treadmills, are junk. The motors aren't worth the materials they are made with. I would suggest looking at one of the chains that sells commercial gym quality equipment or you will likely have a useless waste a space in your house a year from now, Chris.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel View Post

IMHO.
I was going to say the same thing...
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Treadmills are like boats - the two happiest days are the day you get them and the day you get rid of them.

If you must get one - the most important thing to look for is to make sure the damn thing has wheels under it - that way it's easier to shove out of your way while you are cursing at it.

Seriously though - if you really want one - check Craigslist. You can get a new one for next to nothing, virtually unused with just a layer a dust on it -

Okay, really serious - I'd suggest an elliptical machine instead. Got rid of my treadmill and went with the elliptical. A ton less noise, a ton easier on the knees, shorter workouts - and - you may actually use it like I do mine.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel View Post

IMHO.
exactly what i was thinking. I have a $800.00 clothes hanger myself.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

We have a treadmill that we bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. Can't say I do much on it but walk on it to try to help out my knee and sweat a little, but my wife runs on it almost daily. She loves the damn thing. We chose the one that was one step below 'top of the line'. It is intended for users up to 350 lbs and it handles my height and weight no problem. It came with a 12 month warranty on everything and we bought the lifetime warranty for around $160 I believe. Would be well worth the money if anything happens to it like our elliptical (well over 6 visits by the tech to get that working, a whole other story). All-and-all I think it cost a little over $1200 for everything and if you used it fairly recently for two or so years it would be well worth it. I know my wife has gotten the money back out of the elliptical already.

I believe this is the model we have: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...367438.2367453

And they go one sale about every other month for $999-1099 and we got a free "workout TV" delivered with ours. Oh and unless you are using it on the same level as the door it is coming through, I would recomend inside delivery
Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Most treadmills which are less than "commercial quality", or gym treadmills, are junk. The motors aren't worth the materials they are made with. I would suggest looking at one of the chains that sells commercial gym quality equipment or you will likely have a useless waste a space in your house a year from now, Chris.
the motor is the most important thing. Anything less than 3-3.5 chp is not going to last.

Www.treadmilltalk.com is a good site to check out

Last edited by Resipsa; 08-03-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an Image 10.0 about five years ago (not even sure if they still make them). I walk on mine and the wife and I have used are quite a bit. Used to be in the garage and now upstairs in front of the 52" LCD (mostly Sportcenter on when I use it). Works like a champ and have not had any issues with it at all. I believe we paid around $400 for it when we did buy it. Althought, I must say...mine has been used as a cltohes hanger quite a bit...LOL!!!
Here's a review of it... http://www.trainersecrets.com/treadm.../Image_100.htm
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Use the space for a beer cooler and a humidor and walk back and forth, you will get far more use out of those than a treadmill.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I work for a physical therapist. He does not own a treadmill. He says that it is harder on joints than an elliptical. He does all therapy on an elliptical. Just my
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

To be serious for a moment, if you've never tried an elliptical, try it. It'll take about a week to get used to it, but it will be worth it.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I work for a physical therapist. He does not own a treadmill. He says that it is harder on joints than an elliptical. He does all therapy on an elliptical. Just my
Ellipticals are lower impact, but todays treadmills offer very cushioned running decks that are far better than running on concrete. I will admit that I used ellipticals much more early in my rehab than a treadmill, but an elliptical changes your stride pattern and when you go back to running it can feel akward. Eventually, a good physical therapist will have to put a rehab patient on a treadmill to work on walking/jogging/running. Unless you have a restrictive problem, like surgery, treadmills are a great option for cardio. It sounds like the OP is a runner, or would like to be, and a treadmill would be a better option than an elliptical. You have to be willing to use any piece of equipment though.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Ellipticals are lower impact, but todays treadmills offer very cushioned running decks that are far better than running on concrete. I will admit that I used ellipticals much more early in my rehab than a treadmill, but an elliptical changes your stride pattern and when you go back to running it can feel akward. Eventually, a good physical therapist will have to put a rehab patient on a treadmill to work on walking/jogging/running. Unless you have a restrictive problem, like surgery, treadmills are a great option for cardio. It sounds like the OP is a runner, or would like to be, and a treadmill would be a better option than an elliptical. You have to be willing to use any piece of equipment though.
I agree. To be fair, my boss doesn't do much traditional physical therapy. He does fitness for duty exams and disability exams, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with a treadmill or an elliptical.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

Check your PM I sent you all the ''Consumer report'' in regards to Treadmills

Frenchie
Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #18
White97Jimmy
Puff on this

First Name: James
Trading: (1)
RA
White97Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Sancho, if you want an elliptical, I've got one that you can have for let's say...$25.

Seriously...come pick this thing up. It's taking up space in my office next to my drum set and DJ equipment.
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #19
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

Hey! With all of the out-of-work auto suppliers around here, I'm sure we can find you a dynometer that isn't being used...