Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
ahc4353

Default Re: Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzee View Post
He was doing his job. Albeit the wrong way. But nonetheless, he was trying to protect and serve.
No lights, no siren for a speeder and thats OK?

Wonder if it were your daughters you would have the same outlook Dustin?

Not looking for a fight at all. We will just have to disagree as men on this one.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
No lights, no siren for a speeder and thats OK?

Wonder if it were your daughters you would have the same outlook Dustin?

Not looking for a fight at all. We will just have to disagree as men on this one.
Absoultely not ok brother. And I appreciate your opinion on this matter. But, you cannot imagine how difficult that job is to do, until you have actually done it. Something similar happened in my home town. Sanger PD was chasing a bad guy for some garden variety felony through the outskirts of town. The bad guy had his head lights off, and the officer pursuing him did not have his overheads or siren on. The bad guy hit a plain clothes deputy that was going to conduct some follow up on a burglary case. The collision killed the deputy instantly. Everyone here was up in arms that the pursuing officer didn't have code three equipment activated. That officer made a mistake, and will never be the same again. It was not a purposeful act, but negligence nonetheless.

I agree with you Al about the horrible tragedy. But you want the officer to go to jail for failing to use his code three equipment? Then everyone that runs a red light, and gets into an accident and kills someone needs to be sent to prison.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
ahc4353

Quote:
Absoultely not ok brother. And I appreciate your opinion on this matter. But, you cannot imagine how difficult that job is to do, until you have actually done it. Something similar happened in my home town. Sanger PD was chasing a bad guy for some garden variety felony through the outskirts of town. The bad guy had his head lights off, and the officer pursuing him did not have his overheads or siren on. The bad guy hit a plain clothes deputy that was going to conduct some follow up on a burglary case. The collision killed the deputy instantly. Everyone here was up in arms that the pursuing officer didn't have code three equipment activated. That officer made a mistake, and will never be the same again. It was not a purposeful act, but negligence nonetheless.

I agree with you Al about the horrible tragedy. But you want the officer to go to jail for failing to use his code three equipment?
I want him to go to jail for killing to innocent humans. Because he's a cop doesn't make him above the law or does it?

I run that stop sign and kill two people I'm going to jail.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #24
ahc4353

Quote:
....Then everyone that runs a red light, and gets into an accident and kills someone needs to be sent to prison.
We agree!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
I want him to go to jail for killing to innocent humans. Because he's a cop doesn't make him above the law or does it?

I run that stop sign and kill two people I'm going to jail.
Yes they were innocent Al. He did nothing criminal. And no it doesn't make him above the law. Police Officers have a split second to make decisions, sometimes those decisions are to take a persons life. Or in this case, whether or not to activate code three equipment. He made an error and damned well should have activated his code three equipment. He will be civilly liable, and so will the department he works for. He will never live a day without thinking about those people. He is going to be haunted by that scene till he dies. We let drug dealers, child molesters, armed robbers and the likes walk everyday from our justice system. And you want a police officer to go to jail for this? I greatly respect and value your opinion, but I have to disagree with you my friend.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #26
ahc4353

Just because our system allows the creatures to walk is another topic and has no bearing on this. With that logic everyone walks.

I would love the system revamped!

I'm old school, as in an eye for an eye type of thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #27
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yes they were innocent Al. He did nothing criminal. And no it doesn't make him above the law. Police Officers have a split second to make decisions, sometimes those decisions are to take a persons life. Or in this case, whether or not to activate code three equipment. He made an error and damned well should have activated his code three equipment. He will be civilly liable, and so will the department he works for. He will never live a day without thinking about those people. He is going to be haunted by that scene till he dies. We let drug dealers, child molesters, armed robbers and the likes walk everyday from our justice system. And you want a police officer to go to jail for this? I greatly respect and value your opinion, but I have to disagree with you my friend.
I respectfully agree with your opinoin Justin. I am not a police officer, however I do drive a big ambulance around and do have to make those split second decisions sometimes when responding to a call. The stress levels you are subjected to are very high, and I know that we are all human so that makes us not perfect. If this particular police officer has a pattern of that kind of behaviour then I can see something far greater happening to him. In a perfect world it would all be black and white (the rules are the rules or laws in this case) and there would be no room for the gray areas. But we all know this isn't a perfect world. I understand Al's position, because before i got into the public service business I prolly would have agreed wholeheartedly with him. Opinions change sometimes based on the perspective you are looking from.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Just because our system allows the creatures to walk is another topic and has no bearing on this. With that logic everyone walks.

I would love the system revamped!

I'm old school, as in an eye for an eye type of thing.
Man, we do agree on something! I 100% agree with you. I was thinking that the trooper story was not really relevant to the Dante Stallworth story, but I entertained the discussion anyways. We could discuss our justice system till we are both blule in the face, and it would do no good.

I was just pointing out that 24 days in jail for DUI with death is a slap in the face. I think we got a little off topic from my original point.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #29
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Well, let's just hope that during those few weeks in jail he learns a "hole" new meaning of wide receiver.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #30
Sailkat
Smooth sailing

First Name: Kat
Trading: (5)
Sailkat has a spectacular aura aboutSailkat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
30 days in jail???? If this was "average joe" we are looking at 6-7 years and not in a nice, cozy resort. Total injustice!!!
The person who killed my father got 3 years probation.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #31
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailkat View Post
The person who killed my father got 3 years probation.
Wow, sorry to hear that. That is a shame!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #32
Random Guy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (8)
Random Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
30 days in jail???? If this was "average joe" we are looking at 6-7 years and not in a nice, cozy resort. Total injustice!!!

I totally agree! I have no idea, but isn't there a minimum jail sentence for taking another life? 5 - 10 years? Shouldn't there be? Whether or not it was an 'accident'? He was drunk after all.

I don't think he got 'special' treatment because he's a football player. I think he got the justice that he could 'afford' because he is wealthy. Various cases in recent years have proven this time and time again.

Just my thoughts.
Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
tobii3

Y'all don't understand the Legal System today.

Money Talks, Celebrity Walks.

If I'm drunk and hit ANYONE, I lose my career, my retirement, face a Court martial, THEN a Civilian Court, and if I am LUCKY, spend only 5 years in Ft Leavenworth.

How do I know this?? A fellow NCO did it back in 1996.

Dante should be punished. Not slapped on the wrist.

Last edited by tobii3; 06-17-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I read all of this thread.
I know four people personally who have killed people with vehicles while intoxicated.
I know a number more who have changed their lives completely in less than one second.
All I can say is that I thank God that I don't have to be the judge.
I thank God that Donte didn't run over my daughter, because I can't imagine how I could find the strength to let him live for another second, ruining my life and my family and friend's lives as a result of my vengeance.
I think everyone has made excellent points, and put a lot of thoughtful opinion into this. It's a complicated and personal decision.
If anyone should speak on this, it's Kat.
I'm sure she's got more to teach us from her personal experience than any of us can opinionate.
I can't imagine the pain or your loss, Kat. I sure as hell can't imagine how you dealt with it. I'm certain I could learn from you though.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #35
wrench turner 85
I'm the Ocho Cinco!

Trading: (0)
Partagas
wrench turner 85 is on a distinguished road

the judge should be disbarred and fired, and maybe should be brought up on corruption charges.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #36
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Well, let's just hope that during those few weeks in jail he learns a "hole" new meaning of wide receiver.
Sometimes it is o.k. to not post.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #37
wrench turner 85
I'm the Ocho Cinco!

Trading: (0)
Partagas
wrench turner 85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You want to hang an over zealous peace officer for making a mistake while protecting and serving his community? He was at work, not drinking and driving. Not out partying or chasing tail. He was in an uniform, and trying to do his job. I think it is a great tragedy, and he will pay dearly the rest of his life. Do you disagree?
yes, I'm a mechanic for the local school system, If I f**k up and someone looses there life over it, I don't get a free ride or slap on the wrist. I will be sued, loose my job, and/or brought up on criminal charges for a "mistake". even if no one looses there life, all above applies. So yes, officers should have repercussions for there "mistakes", there no different then me.

Last edited by wrench turner 85; 06-17-2009 at 08:00 PM.
wrench turner 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #38
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
I totally agree! I have no idea, but isn't there a minimum jail sentence for taking another life? 5 - 10 years? Shouldn't there be? Whether or not it was an 'accident'? He was drunk after all.

I don't think he got 'special' treatment because he's a football player. I think he got the justice that he could 'afford' because he is wealthy. Various cases in recent years have proven this time and time again.

Just my thoughts.
The minimum jail sentence is 30 days if you plead guilty and save the state the time and expense of a trial. Except for the off season his house arrest means nothing though.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #39
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Money Talks, Celebrity Walks.
Is that what happend to M. Vick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench turner 85 View Post
the judge should be disbarred and fired, and maybe should be brought up on corruption charges.
Really???
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #40
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
Is that what happend to M. Vick?
Funny you bring that up. That is another reason why this is crazy. Vick did something horrible...... to animals. He did more time than Stallworth will ever do!