Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
ahc4353

Default Leaving your Son/Daughter - College Support Thread

We had one of these last year and it help me being a "first timer".

I'm off to drop Jr. at Penn State. Not as much anxiety as last year but it still sucks that he won't be around to shoot the chit with. He's come a long way and been through a lot since last October.

I hate today.

He will be fine, me not so much.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Leaving your Son/Daughter - College Support Th

I miss those college days. Take solace in the fact that he'll be enjoying a lot of good "blunts."
Zanaspus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

First day of kindergarten or going off to college, it all sucks for a good parent!!! Bitter sweet because we want them to succeed but we want them to stay with us!

Our kids know we love them but they have no idea what these milestones do to us!!!

Hang in there Al. Have a nice cigar and maybe write him a letter telling him how you feel!

BTW - I have three out of the house now, two of which are in college! My youngest starts Preschool tomorrow! Mom is all torn up over it!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

My daughter starts her freshman year on Tuesday. I'm glad that she'll be going to a local college for her basics. She wants to go into nursing, but will do her basic courses nearby and live at home to save some money.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I feel your pain brother... I took my youngest off to college August 7. He has been good about calling every couple of days and letting me know how his soccer practices are going so that has helped... but I still miss the knot head!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I so well remember moving mine into his first College House 4 years ago this month and Mom crying all the way home but that is life and it goes forward. You will not quit missing them but it will get better quickly, with cell phones it is so easy to stay in touch and know they are safe. It is also a test of how good a job you did and can make you feel very good when they succeed.

My son finished last week and just moved back home yesterday so now there is a new world to deal with as the job market is really tough for new graduates now. So there is stress on both ends starting and finishing but we will all survive. Enjoy one of your finest cigars and your best liquor relax to the memories of growing up!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
ahc4353

Well it's done. Jr is all settled in and I'm home.

I was hoping it would be easier this year.

It wasn't.

Smoked two cigars on the ride home. They helped.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

It's really tough to see them leave when they go, and it's a big adjustment for Mom and Dad! Especially after this past year, with all of the recuperating that Jr. had to go through!

But, look on the bright side, Al... a number of months ago, you were besides yourself with worries that Jr. would be injured a long time! Now, he's doing well enough to head off to college and get on with his life!

I'm sad for you and Alina, but I'm tickled to hear that Jr. is doing great!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
GHC_Hambone

Can we get a support thread for the students too? LOL

Seriously, its hard on both ends. I hate leaving home and leaving friends and family. Its tough but you just gotta keep on truckin.

Thanks to the supportive parents out there, I know I couldn't make it without mine.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I have had 2 move out and 1 still at home. The youngest one at home is just 10, so we have a few more years before we can truly become 'Empty Nesters'.

I got a feeling my wife will take it MUCH worse than I will

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
First day of kindergarten or going off to college, it all sucks for a good parent!!! Bitter sweet because we want them to succeed but we want them to stay with us!

Our kids know we love them but they have no idea what these milestones do to us!!!

Hang in there Al. Have a nice cigar and maybe write him a letter telling him how you feel!

BTW - I have three out of the house now, two of which are in college! My youngest starts Preschool tomorrow! Mom is all torn up over it!
Darrell, all of those little milestones, are the things that parents worry about the whole time the kids are growing up!

My "Baby" just started driving a few months ago, on his learner's permit. I can't believe it. This "Baby" is now 6'-4", and it kills me sometimes!

But, we've got through 3 others, somehow, so I know we'll be able to do it again!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Well it's done. Jr is all settled in and I'm home.

I was hoping it would be easier this year.

It wasn't.

Smoked two cigars on the ride home. They helped.

Not so sad at all, my friend.

Look at the relationship you have with your son and imagine some of us are envious of the relationship you have with him.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
Darrell

I wish my Dad felt something when I left home. I walked into a hotel and from there went to a bus which took me to Lackland AFB for Basic Training. 6 months later Sept 11th erupted and I never even got a phone call.

I'm envious of the kind of father you're Al, you're all good in my book.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Take pride in the fact you did it right Al. In my talks with you I know how much you love your boys and how much pride you take in what they have done and who they have become.

I am just starting down this road and can only imagine the mess I will be when this time comes.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
ahc4353

Thanks guys for all the support. Some very eye opening posts.

Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
Wanger

The youngest in my house will be starting kindergarten after Labor Day. I'm looking forward to him going to school (he says he wants to learn ) and making new friends, yet at the same time am a bit sad seeing my little boy growing up so fast.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

My little girl is off to college in September. It's gonna be strange with just me and the missus, and I'm going to miss her dearly. It's bitter sweet, as I'm so excited for her and the adventure she is about to embark on, but sad that she is leaving. It's gonna be tough to say goodbye. At least it's only 5 hours away, and at a beautiful location on the coast, so we can drop in and say 'hi' between breaks.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
I miss those college days. Take solace in the fact that he'll be enjoying a lot of good "blunts."
WTF?

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
To the mods: Can we just delete this comment made by this idiot? He assures me it was made in a less than lucid moment.
Zanaspus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
ahc4353

Quote:
To the mods: Can we just delete this comment made by this idiot? He assures me it was made in a less than lucid moment.
I received a very nice PM from this guy this morning. He's far from an idiot, actually, based on that PM he's a stand up guy in my book.

I think I might have made one or two posts I wish I could of had back in my time here.